Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
You know I never used to agree with charging more road tax for larger vechiles but I now think this is a good idea.

The amount of large style American pick ups I have seen appear over the last couple of years is a joke.

They cant even fit on our roads properly, they look stupid.

I would love to see the goverment charge people with 4x4 £1000+ a year to use the roads now.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
They're called lifestyle vehicles. You know the Mitsubishi L200 Warrior is aimed specifically at people who won't use the vehicle for it's supposed purpose.
I can't help but feel they're the latest step on the ladder for the image conscious small willy brigade who buy all those 4x4's.
I expect Dwayne has one.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
the people who can afford to run one of them aren't going to miss an extra £1000 a year.

the wanky students with mums clio should be priced off the road.

paddy

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Those Mitsubishi L200 have been about in Cyprus for years before they become popular in Britain as people used them for busines as a van and as a car.

To charge more road tax would have no effect as again it would be a one up manship by pople saying 'oh yes I can afford that tax'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
adrian29uk said:
You know I never used to agree with charging more road tax for larger vechiles but I now think this is a good idea.

The amount of large style American pick ups I have seen appear over the last couple of years is a joke.

I would love to see the goverment charge people with 4x4 £1000+ a year to use the roads now.

Agree to a certain extent but it would be much easier and cost effective just to roll the road fund license into the cost of petrol. That way people with gas guzzlers and high mileage drivers will pay more while those who rarely use their car much less - fairer all round really ! It would also save a huge amount of money that is currently spent on admin collecting RFL.

Problem is it's a far too semsible idea for any politician to understand !!!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
adrian29uk said:

No they look GREAT, upto last year I had an American Pickup, f***ing huge it was but I sold it due to all your other points. Shame though it was well usefull for taking the lads and the bikes away for the weekend !!, I just could never park the thing !!

And I don't agree with a blanket charge of £1000 either, being from the countryside originally, there are alot of people my father included who need the benifits of 4x4 for work and getting around.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Voroshilov said:
They're called lifestyle vehicles. You know the Mitsubishi L200 Warrior is aimed specifically at people who won't use the vehicle for it's supposed purpose.

The L200 is also exceptionally cheap as a company car meaning they are popular as you pay next to nothing in tax.

I would simply like to see 4x4's banned in town centres and city centres. They indeed have their uses the the country side but not for going to tescos or the post office.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
How's about only allowing FARMERS to buy agricultural vehicles - which a lot of these monstrosities purport to be.

Either that or make ALL vehicles comply with road vehicle standards, meaning that 4x4s become SO ugly nobody will buy them.

*Though the Porsche Cayenne kind of shoots my theory down*

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Originally posted by BensGrandad
Those Mitsubishi L200 have been about in Cyprus for years before they become popular in Britain as people used them for busines as a van and as a car.

Not actually true. They only became popular in the UK when Mitsubishi started marketing them as leisure vehicles.

To charge more road tax would have no effect as again it would be a one up manship by pople saying 'oh yes I can afford that tax'.

Higher road tax for larger vehicles would have a range of positive effects.

Firstly as a progresive tax it would hit those who can afford it most.

Secondly it would have an effect on new car choice. Those stretching to buy the biggest vehicle possible just might be forced to choose a smaller less polluting car.

Thirdly it would decrease the second hand value, because as the car ages and gets cheaper the higher tax is going to have an even bigger effect on purchasing decisions. This will of course have an additional effect on the desirability of purchasing the vehicle new.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
tedebear said:
The L200 is also exceptionally cheap as a company car meaning they are popular as you pay next to nothing in tax.

This is because you can get away with classing it as a van. I know because I worked for a company where one of our distribution centre managers had one because he thought it would double up as van and company car. The problem was it's useless as a commercial vehicle, you can't get enough in the back and the fuel economy was so crap it cost him a fortune to run so we ditched it pretty quick.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

Westdene Seagull said:
Agree to a certain extent but it would be much easier and cost effective just to roll the road fund license into the cost of petrol. That way people with gas guzzlers and high mileage drivers will pay more while those who rarely use their car much less - fairer all round really ! It would also save a huge amount of money that is currently spent on admin collecting RFL.

Problem is it's a far too semsible idea for any politician to understand !!!!

Been saying that for years. What a marvellously sensible and fair idea that would be. Why should a person who uses their car say twice a week to do the shopping and not much else, pay the same road tax as a 1000 mle per week sales rep!

As you say though - far to sensible for any politician to understand.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have various issues with 4X4s.

Being short, and when crossing the entrance to Brighton College, the school collection simply cannot see me. Either this is due to my height, or, the mums are listening to their young ones in the back and paying no attention to the road.

The second issue is body roll. The same urban drivers, as a rule do not read the road. The amount of 4X4s I see that swerve or break at the last minute is alarming. I for one see in excess of 10 per day.

The answer to me is simple. The driving test for cars should be the same as motorcycles. In that apart from the theory test, there should be a test before a driver is allowed on the road (the CBT), and then a new driver is restricted to a maximum power range for a couple of years. Say 60 bhp, then they can progress further, unless they take a test that allows for unlimited bhp, but then the driver must be over 25.

Just as an aside. The worst culprits I have seen are the big Mercs, Range Rovers (both Sport and Discovery versions0 and lastly the ugly Porsche thing.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You mean you want the Irish system, or close enough. Engine size, with the tax increasing per .1 litre (or close enough) jumps.

My 1.3 is €272 a year to tax, but a 4 litre foxrock tractor will cost you €1,343 a year. Unfortunately, thats the highest rate and it gets no higher for people with 6 litre Jaguars, etc.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

pasty said:
Been saying that for years. What a marvellously sensible and fair idea that would be. Why should a person who uses their car say twice a week to do the shopping and not much else, pay the same road tax as a 1000 mle per week sales rep!

Abso-bloody-lutely Jon. Have always felt it would be fairer. Have to confess self-interest here tho as I only use mine once or twice a week.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

pasty said:

It would also ensure that foreign drivers who do not pay road tax contribute to the system when they fill up their cars.

I've always thought it would be a much fairer and more sensible approach. As such it is never going to happen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Re: Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

Rangdo said:
It would also ensure that foreign drivers who do not pay road tax contribute to the system when they fill up their cars.

Crikey - never even thought of that benefit. The idea gets better and better.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

pasty said:
Crikey - never even thought of that benefit. The idea gets better and better.

and while they are at it prehaps an extra 1-2p per litre could contribute to providing cheeper public trasnport and better cycling lanes in city centers !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here