Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Large screen tvs. Which is best?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Ok chaps and chapesses,

Any large screen tv experts here?

Currently I have a 42 inch plasma it's six years old and has a few little things wrong, ie colour washout and crackly sound sometimes,( only on tv speakers )

I am looking for a 60 inch tv( yes I have a large living room) the tv is only for tv, and DVD games are never played on it,

Christmas sales should be here soon or best to wait to new year sales?

Few questions,

A, best value brand? I'm looking at LG
B, plasma or LCD
C, best value place to buy, probably a website.

It will be linked to a Bose system so sound quality is not so much of a problem,

Any opinions.. Budget about £1200

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't get a plasma - shiny reflective screen and weighs a ton.

I recommend an LED, the colours are more stark and vibrant as it handles darkness / black better than LCD's.

I have a Panasonic 42" LED and am very happy with it, the picture definition on HD and Blu Ray is superb.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Ok chaps and chapesses,

Currently I have a 42 inch plasma it's six years old and has a few little things wrong, ie colour washout and crackly sound sometimes,( only on tv speakers )

I am looking for a 60 inch tv( yes I have a large living room) the tv is only for tv, and DVD games are never played on it,

Few questions,

B, plasma or LCD

It will be linked to a Bose system so sound quality is not so much of a problem,

If you can, pick up a second hand Pioneer Kuro Plasma 50" or 60". Discontinued now but still the best ever Plasma TV made and a collectors item.

TNBA

TTF

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am looking for a 60 inch tv
Don't get a plasma - shiny reflective screen and weighs a ton.

I recommend an LED, the colours are more stark and vibrant as it handles darkness / black better than LCD's.
60" LED for £1,200? I haven't looked at screens for some time, but I'd think at 60", plasma are the best option. Go to AVForums.com - UK Online and you'll see loads of threads discussing it all.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Samsung LED is the way forward. Came top on the gadget show head to head with Sony, LG, Panasonic and th rest.

topdollar

Mar 5, 2009
I have a 42 inch backlit LG both sound and picture quality is superb.
Looked at Samsung's but at the time they were much more expensive for not enough of a difference in quality.
As said before one bonus of led is the weight, I think my wall bracket weighs far more than the tv!!

D

Deleted member 18477

Plasma screens are shit in daytime with curtains open. And also can be shit if any other light in the room is on. Too reflective for my liking. Plus they're bloody heavy to move.

LED all the way!!!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The only prob with led tvs is that because the unit is so thin the speakers produce a very tinny sound so will need a decent surround system. Other than that I'm chuffed beyond words with my 47" lg led :)

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
The only prob with led tvs is that because the unit is so thin the speakers produce a very tinny sound so will need a decent surround system. Other than that I'm chuffed beyond words with my 47" lg led :)

This is pretty much true of all flat screen tellys - theres not enough depth to fit decent speakers -its only when you upgrade to surround sound or similar you release the sound is as important as the picture

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Ok chaps and chapesses,

Few questions,

B, plasma or LCD

My Brother is getting a 50in TV tomorrow, i'll tell you how it performs :rock:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Don't get the same make as the one at Molineux today, looked like it was boarded up :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
LED TV's can suffer from banding , dirty screen effect and clouding , Plasma TV's can suffer from false contouring and fizzing. 3D is just a feature the manufacturers include alongside smart apps. Sticking my neck out , at 60" I would go for LED because a Plasma will use about twice or three times the amount of electricity. Until they sort out the longevity problems with OLED the next big thing seems to be Ultra HD (initially 4k but evolving into 8k resolution) which could become affordable for the masses in about 7 years time. I would like a 84 inch Ultra HD TV but at the moment the cost is roughly £15,000.

Aug 17, 2011
Sevenoaks
we used to use pioneer and then sony for plasma/LCD installations, have switched this year to the Samsung LCD range they are excellent (and way cheaper) For really large screen ie over 60 inch the Panasonic range is the best price to quality ratio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here