Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptops - customs checks.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I travel a lot on business and everytime you take the laptop out of the case and place in its own tray to go through the scanner.

a while ago 4 or 5 years back, during trips OUT OF US airports they asked for you to turn laptop on and as soon as the windows startup box appeared they waved you through (Though I haven't seen that for a while)

I've had exactly the same and not just at US airports, Gatwick used to do this a lot too.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
I travel a lot on business and everytime you take the laptop out of the case and place in its own tray to go through the scanner.

a while ago 4 or 5 years back, during trips OUT OF US airports they asked for you to turn laptop on and as soon as the windows startup box appeared they waved you through (Though I haven't seen that for a while)

Yes exactly....all the airport authorities are worried about is that the laptop is a laptop and not an explosive device . End of. A plane ,to my knowledge , has never been blown out of the sky because of the content of a laptop !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am pretty sure that customs have more to worry about than a few pirate mp3's and a smutty search history.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Fair enough I might be worrying about nothing....several of you do a lot more travelling than I do.....but it can and does happen.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I've never had my laptop checked and neither has my dad who flies nationally and internationally about 15/20 times a year.

Last edited:

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Travel a fair bit and although it's irritating to have to put your laptop through security on it's own I have never had a single query about it. They seem to like giving me body scans though,

Also like to nick your after shave and other smelly's etc. I once questioned them on this policy as they put it in a large waste bin and was told it was disposed of environmentally. What struck me was how nice our airport security smelt ! Strange that

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I am pretty sure that customs have more to worry about than a few pirate mp3's and a smutty search history.

Agreed.....but it doesn't hurt to be on guard....could easily result in a spoiled holiday or business trip and a fine!

Admittedly it is a very grey area as proving anything dodgy found was viewed or received intentionally is hard to prove....it is very easy to receive junk mail or be misdirected to a dodgy website that leaves traces on your computer.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I think they can yes. Anything with a password is a bit of a red flag and shows that there is something to be hidden/protected.

yeah, like, er, your online banking details for example. I have three accounts in two different countries so can't possibly remember all the codes for all of them. The most secure way of hiding them is in a password protected file.

I also have some confidential work related stuff in password protected files as well for confidentiality reasons.

I use TruCrypt, it's an awesome program. It creates a virtual drive and hides it inside a file with no extension. There's no way of even telling it's a TruCrypt file. You can even hide a virtual drive inside a virtual drive and have two passwords, one opens the fake file with something nondescript in it, the real password opens what you actually want, meaning that if you ARE forced to give a password, you can just give the first one.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
yeah, like, er, your online banking details for example. I have three accounts in two different countries so can't possibly remember all the codes for all of them. The most secure way of hiding them is in a password protected file.

I also have some confidential work related stuff in password protected files as well for confidentiality reasons.

I use trucrypt, it's an awesome program. It creates a virtual drive and hides it inside a file with no extension. There's no way of even telling it's a trucrypt file. You can even hide a virtual drive inside a virtual drive and have two passwords, one opens the fake file with something nondescript in it, the real password opens what you actually want, meaning that if you are forced to give a password, you can just give the first one.

ffs...it doesnt happen.. Customs are not interested in personal details. They want to know if the f***ing laptop is an explosive device . Thats all . End of

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Also like to nick your after shave and other smelly's etc. I once questioned them on this policy as they put it in a large waste bin and was told it was disposed of environmentally. What struck me was how nice our airport security smelt ! Strange that

There's a reason, those bottles could disguise a bomb, it's a fairly well known fact.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
As far as the customs thing goes, in the least two years my laptop has been through Gatwick, Heathrow, Larnaca, Paphos, Rome, Milan, Prague, Abu Dhabi, Beirut, Athens and Bangkok and never been checked once.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
ffs...it doesnt happen.. Customs are not interested in personal details. They want to know if the f***ing laptop is an explosive device . Thats all . End of
Why are you telling ME this? I never said it did, merely explained why some people, like myself, use password protected files for stuff that isn't in any way dodgy and advised a bloody good program for doing it.

HTH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here