Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop trouble!!! £631 quid!!!!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
These days it's usually best to just throw stuff away and start again.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If this is escalating, then I would highly recommend writing to the bigwigs of Dixons and say that you are considering approaching a Watchdog. That will have them running scared.

It does sound as though they are trying to pull a fast one on you. :nono:

There may be info on the net of this happening to other consumers - like a complaints forum. Worth looking into and see how others approached the problem.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If its any consolation, I paid £100 to have a new alternator fitted to the Land Rover today. I don't know exactly what the chimps who fitted it did, but NOW my headlights don't work :angry:

No, I didn't think it would be much consolation...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Sent my laptop to "The Tech Guys" 2 WEEKS ago, and they said it would be back to me within 2 weeks.....

2 weeks later, and after a week of chasing, theyve just given me a quote. After paying £130 to send it to them...... theyve just said they have to change the motherboard (which was working perfectly when it left me) The LCD screen (which was PERFECT) and the fan (which was actually the problem) for £501

f***!!!!!

What should I do?! Methinks I should just buy a new one, as my old one only cost me 400 quid!!!!

Of course you should buy a new one. and you should NOT pay "The Wise Guys" a penny other than their consultation fees which presumably you can't get out of paying. And even then, wait til they threaten you with court action. Oh, and get the old lap-top back. Might not be much use to you, but why give it to them to salvage any parts they can. Bite the bullet and buy a new one. Oh, and ask NSC first next time before splurging out on 'consultation fees' to cowboys.

Last edited:

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
If you paid £400, and it lasted over a year then you have had your moneys worth. If it lasts 2 years then you have had a bargain.

The best bet is to buy a cheap laptop, make sure you take regular backups and be prepared to throw it away when it is out of warranty. They are just not worth having repaired as you have discovered.

Nowadays a laptop is a consumable item, and anything that is mechanical, like a fan or disk drive, will eventually give trouble.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Laura, I will buy you another 1...I was thinking of one from Dell for £420

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Bry Nylon said:
If its any consolation, I paid £100 to have a new alternator fitted to the Land Rover today. I don't know exactly what the chimps who fitted it did, but NOW my headlights don't work :angry:

No, I didn't think it would be much consolation...

Well, I did tell you not to give up the nice posh car you had!!!! :p

Thanks dad :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Laura i cant believe you paid £130 to send it for a consultation there are loads of us IT guys on here that would have done it for you.

Definatley try and get your cash back and then flutter your eyelids at MYOB is my advice.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Dave the Gaffer said:
Bry, I will buy you another alternator...I was thinking of one from Lucas for £420

Dave,
Really - that's too kind of you. It was only £100.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dave the Gaffer said:
Laura, I will buy you another 1...I was thinking of one from Dell for £420

See I told you he knew what he was doing, nice one Dave :clap2: :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Laura, I'm sitting in the same office as the guys from PC Advisor magazine. I'm sure they'd love to hear your story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here