Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop trouble!!! £631 quid!!!!!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Sent my laptop to "The Tech Guys" 2 WEEKS ago, and they said it would be back to me within 2 weeks.....

2 weeks later, and after a week of chasing, theyve just given me a quote. After paying £130 to send it to them...... theyve just said they have to change the motherboard (which was working perfectly when it left me) The LCD screen (which was PERFECT) and the fan (which was actually the problem) for £501

f***!!!!!

What should I do?! Methinks I should just buy a new one, as my old one only cost me 400 quid!!!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get it back, and take it to a local computer shop to get it fixed. If it's just the fan it should be a piece of cake for a competant engineer. (why did it cost £130 to send it?)

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Superphil said:
Get it back, and take it to a local computer shop to get it fixed. If it's just the fan it should be a piece of cake for a competant engineer. (why did it cost £130 to send it?)

Consultation charge

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I got caught like that once ..............................but only once:dunce:

Sent a camera away to "the experts" with a fee and the original fault (broken motor) was added to, and added to.......just wrote it off in the end and will never go that route again.
There is usually someone local can do a job

It sounds like they are holding your laptop to ransom. Is there a consumer protection department you can go to? I would try that anyway, and mention that you are doing a study for a magazine, that the laptop was checked for faults before it left you, and that the 'study' is about experts who bilk poor unsuspecting consumers out of more than their equipment is worth.

You will need only to find a magazine that you can name-drop, or maybe not divulge that information but "they will find out".

I just think you have got to get a little devious about this situation, as they are lying to you.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think mumbling 'Trade Descriptions Act' and BBC Watchdog and Rogue Traders would be a start, alternatively let you old man have a word as after all, he knows a thing or two about computers.

That price is absurd as you honestly could buy a new one for less. As a matter of interest what make and model is it and what was the original fault ?

You can PM me if you prefer.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
ben andrews' girlfriend said:

What should I do?! Methinks I should just buy a new one, as my old one only cost me 400 quid!!!!

No........! Have you got a dad..?? Any self-respecting father would buy you a new one...!

1066gull

ask me this on Saturday, and i maybe able to pay it for you as i maybe minted....

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
bhaexpress said:
I think mumbling 'Trade Descriptions Act' and BBC Watchdog and Rogue Traders would be a start, alternatively let you old man have a word as after all, he knows a thing or two about computers.

That price is absurd as you honestly could buy a new one for less. As a matter of interest what make and model is it and what was the original fault ?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Think that may be the way to go on this. I've already paid 130 quid, so they will send it back if i tell them to, but wont give me the 130 quid back.

It's a Toshiba Equium A-60, and the original fault was a bloody noisy fan!!!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
this is normal gouger behaviour when theres been fluid spilled - they'll claim the laptop will fail soon after if they don't replace the screen and motherboard - pure lies

Take he laptop back. Find out the replacement fan part number (probably on the dockets they send you!). Find your local, erm, equivalent of me and give them 20 quid. Wait a weeek and a new fan will have been fitted.

And NEVER EVER EVER EVER use a service provided by the Dixons Stores Group ever again - they exist to gouge and deceive, no more.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
AdrianDINho said:
ask me this on Saturday, and i maybe able to pay it for you as i maybe minted....

adrie's new sure fire hit for pulling women.

tell them he can fix their laptops.

that will be the closest lap he'll ever get near touching.....

1066gull

bigc said:
adrie's new sure fire hit for pulling women.

tell them he can fix their laptops.

that will be the closest lap he'll ever get near touching.....
:lolol:

I can try can i?

Anyhow,I am getting a job now, friday is my last poker appearance on Sky TV.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Oh dear, please don't tell me you thought appearing on a virtual poker channel nothing other than kids and pure Ocean Finance cases watch was a "job"?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
MYOB said:
Oh dear, please don't tell me you thought appearing on a virtual poker channel nothing other than kids and pure Ocean Finance cases watch was a "job"?

no, he thought it was a "life"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Think that may be the way to go on this. I've already paid 130 quid, so they will send it back if i tell them to, but wont give me the 130 quid back.

It's a Toshiba Equium A-60, and the original fault was a bloody noisy fan!!!

I think you'd better point that it was working when it left you and if you told then (preferably in writing) the the problem was a 'noisy fan' then you should advise them to refund your money and that you will also be forwarding the bill for any repairs to them and that if they refuse to pay you will take them to court.

You don't replace a motherboard if you have a noisy fan !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here