Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop - internet help

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
I am currently in the process of buying a laptop and i am hoping to get the internet on it.

My question is, as i currently have broadband on the family PC, will i be able to get the same internet onto my laptop in anyway?

Thanks in advance

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Yes, its just the same computer in a flatter box with a tele plugged in as well !!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
lander14 said:
I am currently in the process of buying a laptop and i am hoping to get the internet on it.

My question is, as i currently have broadband on the family PC, will i be able to get the same internet onto my laptop in anyway?

Thanks in advance

Not sure but when we got Juniors it was wireless enabled so got a wireless router for £80 so he could go wherever he felt like (his bedroom) out of our way.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
lander14 said:

Thanks in advance

It depends what broadband you have. You need to make sure the frequency of the bandwidth is narrow enough to be picked up by the laptop's flatter components. What frequency is it?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
lander14 said:
Not sure how do i find out?

Yes i know i'm not very wise. but hey im only 16

Ok, I was joking there :down:

Make sure when you buy the laptop that it has a wireless card installed (they may say wireless enabled or wireless ready or some such thing).
Then get yourself a wireless router(also known as a switch I think).
The router should tell you everything you need to know to set it all up but basically you plug your broadband into the router and your laptop should automatically pick up the signal when you switch it on. As for your existing PC you will either have to connect it to the router using a cable or install a wireless card (or similar device for picking up a wireless signal).

I do not have a laptop or a wireless router so I stand to be corrected but I think thats the general idea.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Ok cheers for the advice, I think that a trip to PC world on friday is the answer!

Anyone know of any cheap laptops going anywhere?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Laptop - internet help

Rangdo said:
It depends what broadband you have. You need to make sure the frequency of the bandwidth is narrow enough to be picked up by the laptop's flatter components. What frequency is it?
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: (for the second time tonight)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
lander14 said:
Ok cheers for the advice, I think that a trip to PC world on friday is the answer!

Anyone know of any cheap laptops going anywhere?

PC world are ok for prices on some things but their sales staff are shite. Check online because they sometimes do web exclusive offers where you reserve the item online but pick it up in store.
If you are looking for a cheap ready to use laptop then try PC World, Dell, Comet, Currys etc. Just shop around and don't let the sales staff bullshit you into a sale.
Search google for PC or laptop forums or something like that and ask for some advice on what to look for from people who know what they are talking about. That'll put you one step ahead when you go into the shop so you can look at the technical details rather than being over-awed by the lovely shiny new laptops and buying the first one you see for over the odds.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Laptop - internet help

Billy the Fish said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: (for the second time tonight)

I was going to keep it up but I felt too guilty. Damn conscience.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
look and ask in PC world but buy online from either eBuyer or BroadbandBuyer.co.uk

Some ISP used to be fussy about leting users have more than one PC connected via Broadband - check with them first - you can always change ISP. Check you ISP's contention ratio too - this is the number of lines they permit in a group connection - the lower the better.

You will need a wireless gateway (can be a router or the modem itself) and a wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop.

I've found D-link kit unreliable - v satisfield with US Robotics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here