Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Land of hope and glory

Il Canto degli Italiani (The Song of the Italians) is the Italian national anthem. It is best known among Italians as Inno di Mameli (Mameli's Hymn) and sometimes referred to as Fratelli d'Italia, from its first line.

The words were written in the autumn of 1847 in Genoa, by the then 20-year-old student and patriot Goffredo Mameli (two years before his death), in a climate of popular struggle for unification and independence of Italy which foreshadowed the war against Austria.

Two months later, they were set to music in Turin by another Genoese, Michele Novaro. The hymn enjoyed widespread popularity throughout the period of the Risorgimento (Resurgence) – and in the following decades.

After unification (1861) the adopted national anthem was the Marcia Reale (or Fanfara Reale), official hymn of the royal house of Savoy composed in 1831 to order of Carlo Alberto di Savoia. The Marcia Reale remained the Italian national anthem until the birth of the republic.

It was not by chance, however, that Giuseppe Verdi, in his Inno delle Nazioni (Hymn of the Nations), composed for the London Internation Exhibition of 1862, chose Il Canto degli Italiani – and not the Marcia Reale – to represent Italy, putting it beside God Save the Queen and the Marseillaise.

From 1922 to 1943, the fascist period, each public performance of the Marcia Reale was followed by the hymn of the Partito Nazionale Fascista, entitled Giovinezza.

On October 12, 1946, Italy became a republic, and Il Canto degli Italiani was, provisionally, chosen as the country's new national anthem. This choice was officialized in law only on November 17th, 2005, almost 60 years later.

Land of Hope and Glory is a ridiculous hark-back to a period of imperial adventurism.

"God who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet".

FFS! Even Elgar hated the words that were imposed on his fine tune.

Let's have something that truly reflects the nation we live in.

And are we talking about England or the United Kingdom?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lord Bracknell said:
Land of Hope and Glory is a ridiculous hark-back to a period of imperial adventurism.

"God who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet".

FFS! Even Elgar hated the words that were imposed on his fine tune.

Let's have something that truly reflects the nation we live in.

OK, Vindaloo it is then.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lokki 7 said:
I like the world cup because you get to hear some cracking national anthems. I am particularly looking forward to the Togo effort this year. Some of the south american anthems sound like a one man band falling down several flights of stairs.

And Japans lasts about half an hour :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
f*** Sake not this again. The Italian anthem is shit, it sounds like something a one man band would play in a local market.
The only people who don't like GSTQ are the ones who are ashamed be English in the first place. To all the people who want Land of hope and Glory, I suggest you read the words and then try and imagine anyone singing them with as much passion as GSTQ.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
chez said:
GSTQ makes all the hairs on my arm stand up. Very inspiring & the Best National Anthem Ive ever heard (probably only coz Im English mind). I have no probs with people singing Land Of Hope & Glory but it shouldnt be our NA.

And anyway if we did end up changing it I would want it to be changed to "Jerusalem" rather than L of H & G.

I beg to differ! It think our National anthem is the worst I've heard and, as someone else said, a real dirge and embarrassingly so. However, LofH&G is really inspiring and I find it quite emotive. Funny how tastes differ!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fran Hagarty said:
I beg to differ! It think our National anthem is the worst I've heard and, as someone else said, a real dirge and embarrassingly so. However, LofH&G is really inspiring and I find it quite emotive. Funny how tastes differ!
i agree that ours is crap... i think i'm very biased but i find the welsh, scots, irish, australian, etc anthems far more more stirring... they celebrate their people and their country not some over privileged old bag...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Eddie the Seagull said:

I'd like 'Jerusalem' to be the ENGLISH national anthem.

Absofuckinglutely

Bring me my bow of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
Bring me my chariot of fire

Marvellous :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem ... either would be so much better then God Save the Queen; uplifting, powerful, inspirational. "Dirge" is an excellent word for the current song.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Dougal said:
ditto, the way our fans sing it , no other country can match that

Not that England fans don't sound great when they sing the anthem, but I think thats a more than a little biased! I think most anthems sound great when sung by a large number of fans. I know its more applicable to rugby, but a full ground singing Wales/New Zealand's anthems always sends a shiver down my spine.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Moshe Gariani said:
i agree that ours is crap... i think i'm very biased but i find the welsh, scots, irish, australian, etc anthems far more more stirring... they celebrate their people and their country not some over privileged old bag...

I think more than half of them actually celebrate fighting the English!

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
ATFC Seagull said:
I think more than half of them actually celebrate fighting the English!

Some of them are fairly recent inventions as well, "Flower of Scotland" only surfaced in the late 1970's.

God Save The King dates from the 1745 Jacobite rebellion and was the response of Hannoverian supporters to the Stuart insurgency. Whcih rather explains some of the latter verses...

"...Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!"

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
L of H & G (Con.) and Jerusalem (Lab.) are both de-facto party anthems, right?

Seems that would disqualify them both for use as an English national anthem

I'll never forgive the Aussies for picking "Advance Australia Fair" over "Waltzing Matilda"....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fragmented Badger said:
Isn't that because at England matches etc, they only sing the first verse, maybe two maximum. I thought there were lots more, but I could be wrong.

Isn't there four verses in all ? If they played GSTQ four times most people would fall asleep.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The RUSSIAN national anthem is the best by far. A truley inspiring piece that evokes images of strength and pride. It is reflective of a mighty nation forged through the tribulations of grief and suffering, but one that has triumphed through adversity, a country and a collective people who can look the rest of the world squarely in the eye and say...
"f*** off".

As for England. I think they should come out to the theme tune to Eastenders.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Easy 10 said:
As for England. I think they should come out to the theme tune to Eastenders.

I think it was Billy Connolly who suggested it should be the theme from The Archers. :lolol:

It would be marvellous, far more jolly. Dum de-dum, de-dum de-dum, dum dee-dum, de dah dah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here