Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lancs CC - a bunch of incompetent baboons - an eyewitness report

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Well, if we win the County Championship this season I think we can thank the Arctic Monkeys!!

I live up north and was invited to go to Old Trafford today for the cricket. I missed out on a day at Sussex's victory at Aigburth (clashed with family holiday in Paris) but this looked like a good game as an alternative. As a Sussex supporter I know a low scoring draw or an abandoned game looks like the best result; but even so I was a bit aghast at today's proceedings.

I've always taken complaining about weather from my Lancs chums in the Turks Head (St Helens) as a bit of northern whinging; and after today they can never complain about this again. If you look at this website http://www.apraze.com/lancs/lccc.htm (nicked off theSussex v Surrey thread)you'll see what I mean . This was the scene that greeted us as we arrived at the ground at 09:30 this morning. Apparently the ground has been in this state ever since the Arctic Monkeys concert 2-3 weeks ago, but nobody has had the gumption to even try to switch the game to Aigburth or Blackpool, because as it looks at the moment it looks as though it may be not fit for any play for well over a day.

When we got in the ground there was an announcment that there would be an umpire's inspection at 13:00. My chums - having seen the pitch - regarded this with some cynicism; taking this as being an attempt to at least keep the members there until the bars opened so they'd spend some money there and in the restaurants before buggering off home, rather than clearing off before play was due to start. One of the blokes I was with who is a Lancs member bumped in to one of their players, Paul Horton, who when asked (this was well before 13:00) pulled a face and said he thought there was NO chance of any play today.

As is usual in these circs, everyone we spoke to in a blazer had a different explanation. To be fair to them I don't think they knew anything official; but choose from:-

1. the protection they'd put on the ground for the Arctic Monkey's concert had been laid on wet grass, causing the ground to get mashed up
  2. Arctic Monkeys concert goers had showed an acute degree of incontinence, causing much raw sewage to have flooded the outfield
  3. it was nothing to do with the concert itself, just the amount of rain itself
  4. it wasn't even the part of the ground where the concert had taken place, but a bit just off the square near the pavilion - which did look like a ploughed field to be honest.

Which ever way you look at it you have to question the competence of Lancashire CC. Their supporters were MIGHTILY pissed off - and I have to say those I met were exceptionally friendly - even when they knew I was from Sussex. But this only goes to show many of their problems are self inflicted. The ground has been like this for weeks - they could have had ample time to move this to Blackpool or Aigburth wher it would have been playable. They didn't - for what ever reason I could not say. I reckon Hampshire have a good case for getting some compensation or points taken off Lancs. The ground was unfit and as far as I could see Lancs had not taken enough steps to get it fit for play. They've had weeks to sort this out - and haven't. I know cricket clubs need concerts to supplement their income; but.... I reckon the one day international there next week mght be at risk and you do question on this performance abhout future test matches - would this happen at Lords??

Still; its an ill wind; aye? :laugh:

Last edited:

but we've had TWO concerts at Hove and they played almost immediately afterwards. In fact the Hampshire pro40 gane was less than 48 hours after the McFly concert.

Could it be more to do with pissed up mancs?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Aigburth is a lovely place.

1225.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
but we've had TWO concerts at Hove and they played almost immediately afterwards.

I was listening to the radio when Sussex were setting up for the concerts and they were saying it cost them a lot more to stage as they needed to protect the ground as it was sodden rather than bone-dry as predicted. Maybe Lancs didn't want to pay for the extra ground protection ?

Hampshire hit 331-8 against Lancashire as play finally got under way at Old Trafford, though attention remained focused on the state of the outfield.

After no play on Tuesday, Michael Lumb entertained with 64 after Jimmy Adams's more patient 63 set a solid platform.

Lumb was run out in a mix-up with ex-Red Rose skipper John Crawley while Dominic Cork took 3-62 for the hosts.

However it was the condition of the Old Trafford outfield, after two concerts, that remained the main talking point.

Hampshire chairman Rod Bransgrove said his side were only playing "under duress and protest" after he complained to the England and Wales Cricket Board about the state of the ground following two concerts by the Arctic Monkeys.

The Rose Bowl boss is not in Manchester but said: "I only saw a visual of the ground but Paul Terry and Shane Warne told me that it was a disgrace.

"For professional sportsmen to be charging around on an outfield like that like has to be unhealthy."

Lancashire chief executive Jim Cumbes responded: "I think he has gone a little bit over the top. He says 'I'm told the conditions are disgusting and there's sewage on the outfield'. I don't know where he has got that from."

Maybe 'sewage' is a reference to the Lancs fielders?

I think we should be told!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cricket is rubbish.
Anything that can drag on for 5 days and then have the result ultimately decided by a light drizzle is a DEEPLY flawed sport.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Cricket is rubbish.
Anything that can drag on for 5 days and then have the result ultimately decided by a light drizzle is a DEEPLY flawed sport.

PIPE DOWN ROXXY :angry:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Cricket is rubbish.

You do have a point there EASY.

However having a result decided by the weather is quite frankly VERY British indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here