Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges part deux

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I don't understand ?

The 'level playing field' simply doesn't exist.

If you take 2 well-matched individual athletes and give them an identical amount of an identical drug the effect on each athlete will be different due to their unique physiology. In this instance the drug (EPO) could give athlete 1 (you) a 2% boost to their performance. It might give athlete 2 (me) a 10% boost to my performance. So, even though we're well-matched at the start and take the same drugs I'll get a greater performance boost. It could even be that you're better than me beforehand, but because we've both been given the same drug I come out on top afterward.

It isn't the case that 'best athlete before drugs' = 'best athlete with drugs'.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The 'level playing field' simply doesn't exist.

If you take 2 well-matched individual athletes and give them an identical amount of an identical drug the effect on each athlete will be different due to their unique physiology. In this instance the drug (EPO) could give athlete 1 (you) a 2% boost to their performance. It might give athlete 2 (me) a 10% boost to my performance. So, even though we're well-matched at the start and take the same drugs I'll get a greater performance boost. It could even be that you're better than me beforehand, but because we've both been given the same drug I come out on top afterward.

It isn't the case that 'best athlete before drugs' = 'best athlete with drugs'.

Ah I see !! I think ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not to mention a legal drug policy will reduce training and ability.

It's currently too early to tell, but in 5-10 years the Lance generation could well be perceived as not very good cyclists.

We'll know in time, but I can currently make a strong case that EPO removed pretty much all natural ability from Pro cycling.
The last 12 months might just be a blip, we shall see.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: :shrug: :lolol:

[tweet]362595782848806914[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I could be surprised.
The thing is to counter that FIA will probably trot out how many urine tests were carried out.

They'll be hoping nobody will mention how completely superfluous they have become to a professional doper, as proven by tennis fella, the other week.

Oh and BoF, it's nice to have an extra pair of eyes on this sh*t.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's a very interesting topic.

I find it unreal that there are so few drug test failings in football, to pick on one sport, considering the amount of professionals. Even recreational drugs seem to be bypassed, unless football is really squeaky clean.

Have I imagined a documentary on players being absent with mystery illnesses ie drug bans?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I find it unreal that there are so few drug test failings in football, to pick on one sport, considering the amount of professionals. Even recreational drugs seem to be bypassed, unless football is really squeaky clean.

Have I imagined a documentary on players being absent with mystery illnesses ie drug bans?
I think it's the extent of the doping that many don't understand.

As said to Wookie further up this page we're not talking about the wrong product from Holland & Barrett.
The full extent of what's being carried out on athletes all over the planet would be truly shocking to most.

Especially when coupled with 'no drug will help you kick a ball straight'.

Instead all this technology and business is only used in a 3rd rate sport where you can make a whooping £5m A YEAR!
But clean Garth Bale, for example, is worth £85m in one pen stroke.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Wasn't there some strong rumours about a promising England international and his injuries last year?
I'm sure I read in The Indie last year that 10-20 players were missing throughout the football league during the season for this reason

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not convinced they're doing it right....
If the deterrent is in competition urine tests, something is very wrong.

Still at least they are further along than tennis and football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Twelve players get 50-game suspensions

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130805&content_id=55953176&c_id

A-Rod gets ban through 2014; 12 get 50 games

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130805&content_id=55953176&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Commissioner's statement on Biogenesis discipline

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130805&content_id=55962046&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

T'is a shame the commissioner failed to mention, when talking about his drug testing policy, that none of these players tested positive.
This whole case stems from the bloke running Biogenesis handing over the evidence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the New York Times:-

All of Monday’s suspensions stemmed from the league’s investigation into a South Florida anti-aging clinic. They are the biggest trophies in baseball’s fight against performance-enhancing drugs, and were apparently handed down without a single positive drug test as evidence. The investigation was a result of a newspaper exposé of the Biogenesis clinic in South Florida. The head of that clinic, Anthony P. Bosch, cooperated with baseball’s investigation, and the league said he provided much of the information that led to the suspensions.

Be warned 'other' sports, that's how the house of cards will fall.

The Biogenesis PEDs scandal explained
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/02/biogenesis-peds-scandal-explained

The eagle eyed will spot tennis now linked to the second mass PED criminal case.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's occurred to me, now MLB have dealt with Biogenesis, I've not got a current 'case' to work on.
Anyway care for a sweepstake as to what the next sport will be?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But what is a clean Bale worth? They did that blood spinning thing that would be illegal in cycling. The same rules should apply to all sports.

My point isn't aimed at GB in particular, i don't have the specific knowledge of what he was having done.
For all i know is he's clean as a whistle.

My point is with everything available to unscrupulous sports scientists why would you 'waste' it on a third rate sport.

'I can do stuff in a lab that isn't legal but will make your footballers run for longer and recover quicker from the effort'
'there's no test'
'are you interested Mr F Ball-Manager?'

Anyone who thinks the answer is 'no', can buy some magic beans from me at the Derby game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here