Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges part deux

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes Lance was naughty but so where many other riders of that time. I have to admit cycling between 1998 - 2006 was probably the most exciting, Lance V Ulrich, Pantani, the list goes on, but we know why.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes Lance was naughty but so where many other riders of that time. I have to admit cycling between 1998 - 2006 was probably the most exciting, Lance V Ulrich, Pantani, the list goes on, but we know why.

The same guy bullying the others in to submission for seven straight tours was exciting? 1998 I'll give you, but only because of my namesake and the fact we did not know from one day to the next whether there would actually be any racing.

Oh, and yes I am aware of the irony of someone naming himself Pantani complaining about drug cheats.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I always like this fact from that Tour, just to illustrate how endemic EPO was in pro cycling at that time.

'In 2004, 60 remaining antidoping samples given by riders during the 1998 Tour, were tested retrospectively for recombinant EPO by using three recently developed detection methods. The results of these tests were published to have returned 44 positives and 9 negatives, with the remaining 7 samples not returning any result due to sample degradation'.

So 83% of them (minimum) where cheating!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
and yet no other sport is prepared to confront even the notion of Performance Enhancing Drugs.

John Rawling made reference on Fighting Talk to a very high profile athlete being juiced up to their eye balls.

2 instantly spring to mind as possible candidates.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And this barely days after he was complaining that his lifetime ban from sport had been "brutal" while maintaining that he would do it all again given the same circumstances.

Sorry Mr Armstrong. Until you show something approaching contrition and a passing acquaintanceship with the truth people are likely to keep thinking you a bit of a cad.
He's wrong to complain of his lifetime ban, he worked hard to earn that, but his comment about doing it all again was the first time I ever thought I heard him tell the truth.

Of course other sports should also be subject to similar doping tests.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No because no drug can make you run faster...

... oh no wait, hang on a moment.

drugs make you fat,liable to heart attack and a little knob

just ask maradonna

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh that must be because they are all so squeaky clean...
That is very true.
Perhaps reports might not be forthcoming as there isn't any documentation concerning PED's in their sports.

In fairness it took a while to come up with any positivity about a pretty damning report.
All this report does is underline the mantra of this thread:-

'why only Performance Enhance cycling when billions can be made from all the premier league, mainstream sports?'

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is very true.
Perhaps reports might not be forthcoming as there isn't any documentation concerning PED's in their sports.

In fairness it took a while to come up with any positivity about a pretty damning report.
All this report does is underline the mantra of this thread:-

'why only Performance Enhance cycling when billions can be made from all the premier league, mainstream sports?'

To carry on the above point.
This is basically an underfunded football conference side, with a Performance Enhancing drug 'policy'.
The doping being done here, is to increase red blood cells, carrying more oxygen around the body.
This in turn increases stamina and reduces recovery time.

Is there no other sport (not adult videos) that could benefit from being able to perform for longer and recover quicker?

It cited the case of “a team below the UCI WorldTour recently involved in doping. It was claimed that the team manager and sports director brought a nutritionist into the team who advised a selected group of riders within the team on a doping programme. The instructions were to administer EPO Zeta every second day after 11pm at night, and alternate in the winter with HGH and Lutrelef, a hormone. Their haematocrit levels were to be tested every third day, and amounts of EPO Zeta reduced [by half] as the season approached.”

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forgive the :bounce: but we've already thrashed through PED's on the tour thread, and don't want to go back there with just 2 days racing left.

Anyway this reporting perfectly highlights the (self inflicted) issues cycling and it's proactive stance of PED's is having to combat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/33646276

'More than one in 10 athletes could be doping - Wada chief'

And yet the main picture is long time banned Lance.
The video clip centres on Lance, but is primarily about athletics.
Another picture is Chris Froome who on the face of it is staunch anti PED and is clean in the most tested sport.

The only other fact is the almost throw away sentence American sprinter Justin Gatlin is due to compete in next month's World Championships following two previous doping bans.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you feeling sorry for yourself again Bro?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you feeling sorry for yourself again Bro?
Oh no, it just my usual annoyance that drug cheating is rife throughout ALL sport and yet cycling still gets hammered.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh no, it just my usual annoyance that drug cheating is rife throughout ALL sport and yet cycling still gets hammered.
I know that's why you're annoyed. You have to accept that while drug cheating will be present across all sport, it's cycling that took the cheating to another level, Armstrong that lead the way within cycling, so when doping comes up, cycling will be mentioned.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I know that's why you're annoyed. You have to accept that while drug cheating will be present across all sport, it's cycling that took the cheating to another level, Armstrong that lead the way within cycling, so when doping comes up, cycling will be mentioned.

Led the way? ??? Took it to another level? ??? I suspect that both Stat and I feel that is rather naive.

The unique thing about Armstrong is the complicity of the governing body, but athletics has had, and probably still does have a far larger problem, imo. The other sports just do not test, so who knows with them? Cycling is way too small time to be the only sport with this level of problem. Armstrong earned more than any cyclist ever (well until he had to start paying it back), yet compare his wealth to top footballers, tennis players, golfers etc etc, he earned very little.

Greater rewards = greater risks? I would say it is inevitable that that is the case.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The only other fact is the almost throw away sentence American sprinter Justin Gatlin is due to compete in next month's World Championships following two previous doping bans.

Pure coincidence but I was looking at the fastest times in 2015 for 100m mens and quite a few at the top have been achieved by runners over 30. Just an observation really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here