Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lampard Happy To Finish 2nd

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What do people think about this statement from sportinglife.com?

England midfielder Frank Lampard believes finishing second in their World Cup group could prove to be a blessing in disguise.

The USA's last-minute winner against Algeria earned the Americans top spot in Group C, condemning England to second spot and a meeting with Group D winners Germany on Sunday.

Lampard is not bothered that England now face a tougher draw if they are to go all the way in South Africa and feels the extra day's rest could help them before they take on Germany.

"I couldn't care less that we have finished second," said Lampard.

"You cannot pick and choose your future matches.

"And finishing second might actually be a bonus for us because it now means we've got an extra day's rest before our next game on Sunday, rather than playing on Saturday."

Chelsea midfielder Lampard believes England can build on their win over Slovenia and that the real action now starts in the knock-out stages.

"This performance gives us a lot to build on. You have seen it many a time when teams in tournaments start a bit cagey and then come strong," added Lampard.

"We have to try to follow that model and try to keep improving every game. For everyone who is in it, the tournament starts here because it is knock-out.

"How you play in the group doesn't win you anything. It certainly doesn't give you any credit if you then get sent home in the next round.

"Everybody starts here now. It is pure knock-out football and it is about performing. When you think you are four games away from doing something very special, that can only focus the mind."

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Why does he need an extra days rest? He did feck all yesterday!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
we qualified for the next round, thats the important thing!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
An extra day's rest, against a team who have had the SAME rest. BIG advantage RIGHT there, Frank :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I suppose he has to say that really, he can't say 'We will never beat Germany, Argentina, Spain and Brazil' - but as so often in football these days, the words that come out are total bollocks.

'You can't pick and choose your future matches'. In this case, Frank, yes you could, at least to a certain extent.

And when will England players learn and stop talking about or referring in any way about winning the World Cup, especially when form to date shows they've got no chance without a big improvement. Leave it until you get to the final, please.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I agree. I don't think it matters who we face to be honest. Any team can beat us and we can beat any team on our day.

Not sure about the extra days rest - does that mean we'd have one less day, IF we beat Germany, between the second round and the quarters?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He is just being positive. Carry on Frank.

Is the correct answer. If he'd said anythnig else i'd have been shocked.

Let's not turn into the English Media on NSC and start twisting every word...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Exactly.

In fact why didnt he just come out and say oh shit its the Germans. May as well book the flights home now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To me it basically says the group stages are meaningless and it's all about the knockout stages. Except the group stages are NOT meaningless.

As Rooney trudged off the commentators and pundits all agreed that he just needs a goal to get his confidence going. In which case why not, er, prepare for the tournament properly, get a goal in the 2 warm-up matches or the group stages and go into the second phase confident?

The stats show that - Italy '82 apart - the eventual WC winners always start strongly, usually banging in 7-9 goals in the group stage.

Germany have that big win vs Australia as a point of reference, the Argies, Spain and Brazil have also got a least one superb performance in the bank already. Our point of reference? Keeping the ball by the Slovenian corner flag successfully for the last 7 minutes.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It's gives Fat Frank an extra day to practice missing open goals, penalties and being anonymous on the pitch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To me it basically says the group stages are meaningless and it's all about the knockout stages. Except the group stages are NOT meaningless.

As Rooney trudged off the commentators and pundits all agreed that he just needs a goal to get his confidence going. In which case why not, er, prepare for the tournament properly, get a goal in the 2 warm-up matches or the group stages and go into the second phase confident? I suppose you think Rooney was deliberately not trying to score then!!

The stats show that - Italy '82 apart - the eventual WC winners always start strongly, usually banging in 7-9 goals in the group stage.

Germany have that big win vs Australia as a point of reference, the Argies, Spain and Brazil have also got a least one superb performance in the bank already. Our point of reference? Keeping the ball by the Slovenian corner flag successfully for the last 7 minutes.

'The stats show etc etc' Did you actually do any research? 2006 won by Italy, in their group games they beat Ghana and drew with USA and Angola!!!! That was a good start! In 1994 when they got to the final and lost on penalties, they finished 3rd in their group. Another good start!!

And maybe Lampard is right. There is no use now saying we wish we had gone into the other half because what message does that send your next opponents. He can't change anything because the fact is we only won by one goal. And maybe, just maybe, we will raise our game against better opposition, opposition that will want to win the game rather then play for a draw.

The group games are important but the competition now starts in earnest because when you lose, that's it. Next plane home.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Drew, you've got your facts totally wrong. In 2006 Italy beat both Ghana and the Czech Republic, drawing with the USA - in other words, winning a bloody hard group in a businesslike fashion.

Secondly, who gives a f*** about Italy '94 - they lost. I'm talking about how teams that WON the WC actually STARTED, and I maintain that - Italy '82 apart - you must start well to stand a chance

If Lampard's right and the qualifying group doesn't matter then what is the point of playing 2 warm-up matches, a week in Austria training and then 3 group matches?

Surely you're supposed to BOND as a team and LEARN tactics? Terry saying England have only 2 creative players then watching Milner make one goal and supply 2 or 3 other quality crosses proved this to be shite. Hardly good team bonding for Milner to think Terry rates Joe Cole over him every time.

The mindset that Lampard shows explains why we ALWAYS start slow, and why the players throw their toys out of the pram when things don't go their way.

We've heard all this before. Yes, we usually raise our game at this stage but against the very best it has been too little, too late.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah but you don't win many cups by being mid-table at Christmas either.

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
At least finishing second wont give us the opportunity to become complacent by looking past supposed weaker opposition, all focus must be on beating Germany and I think we will

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You can....by winning the group you stupid flid faced cock.

Lampard that is not the quotee.

No offence taken, I know your comments were 'ARMLESS enough...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can....by winning the group you stupid flid faced cock.

Lampard that is not the quotee.

Except, when we played the game, the other group wasn't decided and any of the four teams could have been top or second, so had we won by 4 goals, maybe germany would have lost and we'd still be facing them.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
If England had got Ghana then then press and public would be dreaming of the final already. Getting the difficult side of the draw means everyone will hopefully only take it one game at a time. Which is what the team need to do as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here