Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lack of transfer activity.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Seems so far there are so many rumours, of which pretty much all carry no weight.

Anyone else think that the start of next week will see the start of new signings? Don't most contracts expire the end of June, hence come the weekend / beginning of next week a signing frenzy ?! :cheers:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think you are right about contracts to the end of June. I am now desperate to see threads with "club text .......... Signs"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rome was not built in a day there are loads of good players available just need to sort out the best bets - takes time a patience.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think Gus' concern over delays with the KLL transfer is that very quickly from Friday onwards any readily available targets will be quickly snapped up and we will be struggling to meet our (positional) needs within the available budget.

As an example (and the figures are meaningless) say we have £2m in the transfer fee kitty and have budgetted 50% on KLL with the remainder spread between a striker and 5 "cheap" or free transfers for midfield and defensive cover. If there is no deal for KLL or if the deal is done at a higher fee then there is a knock on effect. Critically we might not be able to afford the striker we want and also there may not be 5 free transfers available of the required standard to cover the other positions. In this scenario one option may be to sign the striker and the free transfers first but this might ultimately mean that we can't afford KLL. If we wait to sign KLL first,then we may lose out on all or some of our 5 other targets and that can happen within a few days at this stage of the game.

Personally I think we will quickly snap up Garvey and Woods (ex-Chelsea midfielder still on holiday) and Bergkamp plus a released Premier league defender and a released Championship defender. I think there is at least one striker we are waiting on but we might lose him if we have to wait on signing KLL. I also think there is very little in the way of a Plan B if KLL doesn't come off.

Beyond that I think we will get at least one and maybe a couple of Premier League reserves on loan for the season.

If Gus has chosen as well as he did last year we will be upper mid table and knocking on the door of the play-offs IMO.

Last edited:

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Last season Greer signed on July 9th.
Barnes signed on July 13th.
Kishishev signed July 16th
Ankergren signed August 6th
Bridcutt signed August 28th

It was only the Painter and Calderon deals done quickly - not unlike Hoskins and Buckley.

Give it a month, then you can start worrying!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its across the board, apart from a few newspaper stories for top teams, nowt moving at the moment.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

It was only the Painter and Calderon deals done quickly - not unlike Hoskins and Buckley.

Thanks for setting that out, certainly didn't hurt the team bonding either, hopefully we'll have another few sigings before mid July when the squad go away to Portugal.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From Brian Owen's twitter feed tonight..................

"Poyet still busy working on his top transfer targets for #bhafc with other options available - "we are OK" in his own words"

Thanks for the post. Indeed I think the best post of the summer. You have certainly put my 'pessimistic' mind at ease.....for a while anyway!

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Yet more garbage, being piled up on all the garbage that has been written here since the end of the last season . You are just guessing , like everyone else . What insight do you have into saying that we are going to sign Garvey and Woods..a released Premiership defender, and a released Championship defender. HAve you and Gus had a private chat? Do you know for certain that these are going to happen? Who is this striker you think we are waiting on ?Who are you talking about ..do you know ? And how do you know we will lose him if we wait on KLL.. are you privy to the inside workings of our manager and chairman. And you think we will get a couple of Premier League reserves as well... why ? What makes you think this..has Gus told you . It is all getting so very ,tiresome reading all these guessing threads

I think Gus' concern over delays with the KLL transfer is that very quickly from Friday onwards any readily available targets will be quickly snapped up and we will be struggling to meet our (positional) needs within the available budget.

As an example (and the figures are meaningless) say we have £2m in the transfer fee kitty and have budgetted 50% on KLL with the remainder spread between a striker and 5 "cheap" or free transfers for midfield and defensive cover. If there is no deal for KLL or if the deal is done at a higher fee then there is a knock on effect. Critically we might not be able to afford the striker we want and also there may not be 5 free transfers available of the required standard to cover the other positions. In this scenario one option may be to sign the striker and the free transfers first but this might ultimately mean that we can't afford KLL. If we wait to sign KLL first,then we may lose out on all or some of our 5 other targets and that can happen within a few days at this stage of the game.

Personally I think we will quickly snap up Garvey and Woods (ex-Chelsea midfielder still on holiday) and Bergkamp plus a released Premier league defender and a released Championship defender. I think there is at least one striker we are waiting on but we might lose him if we have to wait on signing KLL. I also think there is very little in the way of a Plan B if KLL doesn't come off.

Beyond that I think we will get at least one and maybe a couple of Premier League reserves on loan for the season.

If Gus has chosen as well as he did last year we will be upper mid table and knocking on the door of the play-offs IMO.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Yet more garbage, being piled up on all the garbage that has been written here since the end of the last season . You are just guessing , like everyone else . What insight do you have into saying that we are going to sign Garvey and Woods..a released Premiership defender, and a released Championship defender. HAve you and Gus had a private chat? Do you know for certain that these are going to happen? Who is this striker you think we are waiting on ?Who are you talking about ..do you know ? And how do you know we will lose him if we wait on KLL.. are you privy to the inside workings of our manager and chairman. And you think we will get a couple of Premier League reserves as well... why ? What makes you think this..has Gus told you . It is all getting so very ,tiresome reading all these guessing threads

Get a life and get off NSC for a while then. Or, just ignore these posts.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
its across the board, apart from a few newspaper stories for top teams, nowt moving at the moment.

This. The transfer window effectively creates a situation of player power, with players waiting for the best offer before they decide where to go. You don't take the first offer you get on your house do you?

I would expect most deals to be done from mid July onwards. Frankly we've done very well to already of got Hoskins and Buckley.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Get a life and get off NSC for a while then. Or, just ignore these posts.

Im entitled to my opinion ..isnt that what NSC is for. Believe me, i havnt been here for a while,and have ignored these posts because of the rubbish that has been posted here since the end of the season. I have a fantastic life, thanks. All im saying is ..its garbage..its someone just guessing.. with no proof . Thank you

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
"Gus has targets"

Whilst there is no way I would expect GP to be declaring openly just exactly who his targets are, I am 100% certain that, if indeed he is interested in signing a particular player, he will have contacted that player's agent to state the Albion interest.

Hence, given the stated Albion interest, I would be hopeful that agents would at least come back to him if things were hotting up, so hopefully, we will not lose out on players who have "suddenly signed elsewhere" !

Hopefully !

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
At least with the Amex, Championship football & of course, Gus, we are now a far more attractive proposition to players than we have been for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here