Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of Defensive Options

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We have Veltman, Webster, Dunk, March, Duffy, Karbownik plus Gross, Moder, Alzate and Zeqiri who Potter is happy to play as wing backs.

So that’s 10 players for 4 or 5 positions. He’s really not short of options.

Of course - can he pick his preferred #1 line up? Probably not . I suspect he’d like a new wingback to cover Solly (hence: Cucurella) and Lamptey back fit and maybe a new CB so Duffy can go on loan/ off permanently.

But no options ? Hardly ? And Dunk, Veltman, March, Webster, Gross as the likely back 5 is hardly an inexperienced one.

I’ve also got a feeling that one of Roberts, Van Hecke or Băluță might be an option too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We have Veltman, Webster, Dunk, March, Duffy, Karbownik plus Gross, Moder, Alzate and Zeqiri who Potter is happy to play as wing backs.

So that’s 10 players for 4 or 5 positions. He’s really not short of options.

Of course - can he pick his preferred #1 line up? Probably not . I suspect he’d like a new wingback to cover Solly (hence: Cucurella) and Lamptey back fit and maybe a new CB so Duffy can go on loan/ off permanently.

But no options ? Hardly ? And Dunk, Veltman, March, Webster, Gross as the likely back 5 is hardly an inexperienced one.

Not really a great sign if a Premier League club is having to ask attacking midfielders to fill in in defence though

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looking at our options for this weekend it seems ridiculous we have allowed a situation where we are so short on defensive options. As it stands we have:

- Only one recognised right back/RWB who isn’t fit.
- No recognised senior left backs at the club at all.
- Only four fit senior centre halves two of which have limited match fitness and one of whom has been out of favour for all of last season (given the point about full backs that also means we need to play three centre backs)

Along with our inability to sign a new forward it really is a perplexing situation. I’m sure all the usual people will be along to slaughter me for daring to question Tony Bloom but something isn’t right in my eyes.
...... and rinse and repeat .............

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think as it's Burnley who like to use their strikers as battering rams then I can see a back 5 of March/Webster/Dunk/Duffy/Veltman with Biss and Mwepu sitting in front of them. Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a bore draw up there.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not really a great sign if a Premier League club is having to ask attacking midfielders to fill in in defence though

Some would say its a sign , as Glenn Murray said on 5 Live this week, that Potter is impressive tactically and creatively in how he uses his squad.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The invincible Arsenal team were basically midfielders played out of position. Most went on to make a career out of it

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Unbelievable that people are trying to justify Pascal Gross as a right wing back.. We need a left back and a right back cover and probably another proven centre back if we want to end in the top half it's really that simple. Not buying playing midfielders and centre backs as wing back cover.. It puts us at a disadvantage and teams will target it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
You’re right - consider yourself slaughtered. FFS! We have this at the start of every season - why haven’t we signed this or that player, why haven’t we filled this position, why haven’t spent any money on strengthening defence, attack or midfield?
Then when we do spend zillions and that signing that doesn’t come up to scratch it’s why did we waste the money, the recruitment team hasn’t got a clue, etc.

I think the club and those responsible within it know a damn sight more than you and I about what is required, so just let them get on with it.

But hey, this is a fans forum so expressing opinions on whatever subject is what it’s all about so you’re forgiven. :thumbsup:

Totally agree. And just maybe there isn't much money in the kitty as people would like to think. Much of the saved salaries from out going players and the White sale may well have gone to pay off the losses of £69m from the season before last, so possibly there is far less available to spend.

All this BS of 'well we bid £25m for Gonzalez or Nunez so we've obviously got cash to spend' is exactly that, 'BS'. Has Tony or anyone at the club ever confirmed we made bids for ANY of the players we've been tenuously linked with? No.

As fans we might just have to accept there is far less to spend than many of the people on here think.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Totally agree. And just maybe there isn't much money in the kitty as people would like to think. Much of the saved salaries from out going players and the White sale may well have gone to pay off the losses of £69m from the season before last, so possibly there is far less available to spend.

All this BS of 'well we bid £25m for Gonzalez or Nunez so we've obviously got cash to spend' is exactly that, 'BS'. Has Tony or anyone at the club ever confirmed we made bids for ANY of the players we've been tenuously linked with? No.

It might just have to accept there is far less to spend than many of the people on here think.

Or maybe (alternatively) the club have been very ambitious with the players we've targeted and as a result it's taken a little longer for things to come off. Point being, I highly doubt the club have sat on their arse all summer. But then again, you or I don't know either way.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Or maybe (alternatively) the club have been very ambitious with the players we've targeted and as a result it's taken a little longer for things to come off. Point being, I highly doubt the club have sat on their arse all summer. But then again, you or I don't know either way.

Exactly. None of us knows what's going on behind the scenes and if a striker does come in before the window closes , I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's someone few us us had considered. Diego Costa anyone?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Okay we don't have Burn and Lamptey and White has left, but would you prefer to be going into this game without those three, or without Dunk, Veltman, March and Lamptey?

I'm just asking because: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57066733

We could start against Burnley with the same formation, Dunk in for Burn, Veltman in for White, March for Jahanbashksh. Take your pick from the available attacking players. With Duffy back, we could even have a centre half on the bench, something we couldn't do against City. It's not ideal, but it's also not the end of the world.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There is no lack of options in any position... there are way too many players at the club.

Hard disagree on that one, I’d presume the club, like many fans, see a need at full back hence they’re actively recruiting for both positions. Yes, the squad is large, but it’s imbalanced.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast

As fans we might just have to accept there is far less to spend than many of the people on here think.

And there’s the rub. When it’s not your cash to splash then some people just carp on about how it should be spent regardless of any form of objectivity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here