Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labours reckless spending in the last few months in office...

larus

From the BBC.

Civil service chiefs lodged formal protests at spending decisions by Labour ministers in the dying months of their rule, the BBC has been told.

It culminated in the "nuclear option" of demanding written instructions from their political masters, union leader Jonathan Baume said.

There was dismay at Labour's use of public finances, he added.

Ex-ministers have previously dismissed claims of excessive spending as "spin" by the coalition government.

The government has ordered a review of all spending commitments and pilot projects signed off by Labour ministers since the start of the year.

'Not the right thing'

Mr Baume, leader of the First Division Association, told 5 live's chief political correspondent John Pienaar: "When a permanent secretary asks for their letter of direction from a minister, it is because they feel that a serious decision is being taken, which they feel is not right.

"It's not a decision that is taken very often to ask for such a letter of direction, which is why it is regarded something of a nuclear option. So when it happens it tends to be a big spending decision, where the civil service believes this is not the right thing to do."

The instructions - formally titled "letters of direction" - have been sent to the Treasury, and will be sent on to the cross-party Commons public accounts committee, which evaluates public spending for propriety and value for money.

On Monday, Chief Secretary to the Treasury David Laws told BBC Two's Newsnight: "I think we're very concerned indeed that over the last few months of this government there were a lot of spending commitments that were made and some of those may not represent good value for money."

He said that in some cases the decisions "were made against accounting officer advice".

Prime Minister David Cameron has said his ministers have found examples of "crazy" spending, including paying out bonuses to three-quarters of all senior civil servants.

In response, former Chancellor Alistair Darling accused the new coalition government of "playing the oldest trick on the book" by blaming its predecessor for the state of the economy.

On Monday, it emerged that Liam Byrne, Mr Laws' predecessor, had left him a one-sentence letter, saying: "I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left."

Mr Byrne later told the BBC that this "a phrase that chief secretaries have to get used to using".

Well I never, who would have guessed the Labour would be wasting money eh !!!!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
From the BBC.

Civil service chiefs lodged formal protests at spending decisions by Labour ministers in the dying months of their rule, the BBC has been told.

It culminated in the "nuclear option" of demanding written instructions from their political masters, union leader Jonathan Baume said.

There was dismay at Labour's use of public finances, he added.

Ex-ministers have previously dismissed claims of excessive spending as "spin" by the coalition government.

The government has ordered a review of all spending commitments and pilot projects signed off by Labour ministers since the start of the year.

'Not the right thing'

Mr Baume, leader of the First Division Association, told 5 live's chief political correspondent John Pienaar: "When a permanent secretary asks for their letter of direction from a minister, it is because they feel that a serious decision is being taken, which they feel is not right.

"It's not a decision that is taken very often to ask for such a letter of direction, which is why it is regarded something of a nuclear option. So when it happens it tends to be a big spending decision, where the civil service believes this is not the right thing to do."

The instructions - formally titled "letters of direction" - have been sent to the Treasury, and will be sent on to the cross-party Commons public accounts committee, which evaluates public spending for propriety and value for money.

On Monday, Chief Secretary to the Treasury David Laws told BBC Two's Newsnight: "I think we're very concerned indeed that over the last few months of this government there were a lot of spending commitments that were made and some of those may not represent good value for money."

He said that in some cases the decisions "were made against accounting officer advice".

Prime Minister David Cameron has said his ministers have found examples of "crazy" spending, including paying out bonuses to three-quarters of all senior civil servants.

In response, former Chancellor Alistair Darling accused the new coalition government of "playing the oldest trick on the book" by blaming its predecessor for the state of the economy.

On Monday, it emerged that Liam Byrne, Mr Laws' predecessor, had left him a one-sentence letter, saying: "I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left."

Mr Byrne later told the BBC that this "a phrase that chief secretaries have to get used to using".

Well I never, who would have guessed the Labour would be wasting money eh !!!!

Me.Not only would I not have guessed it.

I wouldn't believe it ,either.

Nor should you.

The letter has been shown to be one of the rare bits of humour in an otherwise humourless situation,though I'm not surprised the right wing deferentials on NSC should take it up.

You really shouldn't let the Rupert press and the private school righties use you so easily.

Try to have your own thoughts,even if it gives you a headache.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(

Nor should you.

The letter has been shown to be one of the rare bits of humour in an otherwise humourless situation,though I'm not surprised the right wing deferentials on NSC should take it up.

You really shouldn't let the Rupert press and the private school righties use you so easily.

But this is NSC you are talking about :wink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The BBC might be a lot of things but it's far from being the Rupert press.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"The BBC might be a lot of things but it's far from being the Rupert press. " Quoted by Westdene Seagull.

The bbc now has new political masters, and is responding accordingly.

Human nature.

Nor should you.

There is a river in Egypt called err err err err, sorry I am a thicko cos I read the Sun ah yes denile and you are in it you old codger.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
bbc been funded my europe for years its not left or right - its dishing out what the elite/bildebergers want.......you all belive labout overspent, then they end up 20%vat, then taxing food etc etc.

countries are owned and ran by bankers not politicians. turn off your tvs.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Interesting (but not surprising) that people are taking sides before there's any evidence. Give us some examples, and we can decide whether Labour ministers were making rash spending decisions.

At the moment, all I hear is assertions.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
BoF - the first story is not an example of last-ditch crazy spending. The second story (again) doesn't have actual examples. I heard that interview on 5 live and was surprised then.

I'm not saying that this is spin by the new govt, just that they should give the public examples if they want us to believe what they're telling us.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Tory government just getting the excuses in now if anything goes wrong.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
From the BBC.

Nice to know that the last chancellor doesn't consider the economy to have been part of his brief then.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody watched George Osborne since he got made Chancellor? Looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an oncoming truck. Absolutely shitting himself. Very much doubt that intellectual pygmy will even make it to the end of the first fifty days of the Condems. He'll be ripped to shreds by the City boys. Game over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here