Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Congratulations on the appointment. It is only right that the party goes back to its roots. Lots of singing "we'll keep the red flag flying here" tonight. Hopefully we can now have proper ideological alternatives which we can vote on.

Just seen a picture of the seven-bedroom farmhouse where he lived and saw details of the private school, where mummy and daddy sent him to avoid all those rough children from the council estate. It might be his roots, but these roots hardly represent those of the millions of labour voters.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can't quite believe that the Labour Party has elected JC as its leader - political suicide at its best. We are now likely to be light years away from another Labour government. This doesn't bother me in the slightest but Labour moderates must be in despair at this turn of events.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I can't quite believe that the Labour Party has elected JC as its leader - political suicide at its best. We are now likely to be light years away from another Labour government. This doesn't bother me in the slightest but Labour moderates must be in despair at this turn of events.

by Labour moderates you mean the watered down tories that have struggled to bring back new labour.
I for one will be joining the Labour party again, and it does seem like I will have to stand in a queque and a long one at that

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
by Labour moderates you mean the watered down tories that have struggled to bring back new labour.
I for one will be joining the Labour party again, and it does seem like I will have to stand in a queque and a long one at that

You really believe that JC is the answer to the country's problems? Good luck with that. Look what happened to Michael Foot.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
On a personal note, I hope he stays Labour leader for as long as possible. It really is the only way that I can see my constituency ever having a chance to move towards to the right. Damn you Siobhan McDonough.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

15,500 new members in 24 hours suggest your right. The more I hear people telling me that it's the death of the party, an embarrassment, how happy the tories will be etc etc, the more convinced I am that my vote went in the right direction

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
it was the banks that nearly made us bankrupt
laugh it up tory boys your government are shitting themselves(even had a meeting about how to stop any Labour success) JC will be a thorn it the side of this government for its duration.
JC is obviously someone the great British public want to listen to instead of the drab soft middle of the road rubbish we have had for years.soft, U-turn dave will never last the coarse if the right wingers have their way, Europe will do for him, and his own party will stab him in the back

It might well have been "middle of the road rubbish" as you state, but it does not necessarily mean that the British public want to listen to him. Indeed the evidence of the last election, when Miliband tried to move the party further to the left, is such that the british public is wary of the left wing, so if anything JC will be more of a bore.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
15,500 new members in 24 hours suggest your right. The more I hear people telling me that it's the death of the party, an embarrassment, how happy the tories will be etc etc, the more convinced I am that my vote went in the right direction

Let's see where the Labour Party are in 5 years. I can't wait to see how Corbyn performs at PMQs.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Whilst I would not presume to question your figures, this of course only tells one side of the story. How many traditional middle of the road Labour supporters will be cheesed off with this latest development and /or leave the Party.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You really believe that JC is the answer to the country's problems? Good luck with that. Look what happened to Michael Foot.

the country did not want left-wing politicians then, but now it seems they might, honest politics from honest MP's, and it seems that every time JC opens his mouth more people are joining the party.
Michael Foot was over 40 years ago, bless him he meant well but would never have made it JC will though because he is honest and stands up for his policies but is willing to listen to others.
the great British public want something different to the old middle of the road politics where its hard to tell the difference between tory and labour

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Read the whole post my dear friend, Blue Labour is a busted flush and in 2020 the Tories will face a real challenge at the ballot box
Well your'e entitled to your view Ernie...but after the Unions (who will dominate this left wing party) start their strikes and ruining the lives of everybody I think you'll find that there will not many votes going into the ballot box for Catweazle.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It might well have been "middle of the road rubbish" as you state, but it does not necessarily mean that the British public want to listen to him. Indeed the evidence of the last election, when Miliband tried to move the party further to the left, is such that the british public is wary of the left wing, so if anything JC will be more of a bore.

thats why the Labour paty cannot cope with those wanting to join is it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

My Dad is a staunch Tory, always has been and we've clashed on politics since I was first eligible to vote. He bought up Michael Foot yesterday, but I did point out was over 32 years ago, unless you were born in 1970 or before, you're not going to really remember any of that - Corbyn seems to be attracting a youthful following as well as more traditional socially minded voters.

There are obviously going to be many people who do think JC is the answer to the country's problems, rightly or wrongly. He's had a massive result with almost every aspect of the media, including the left's traditional printed press allies in the Mirror and Guardian against him. I tell you what, that more than anything frightens the press. From the likes of Blair and Cameron completely media integrated and getting on board with sections of the press, JC ignores the press and yet his popularity surged.

The popular vote in the general election was around 50% voting for left leaning politics if you take the Greens, Labour, Libs, SNP and Plaid Cymru. The victory for the Tory's wasn't a big defeat of those who believe in the left, it was mainly a defeat of the main party that represents the left. The country is still very much down the middle on left and right politics.

What will be interesting is whether those returning to vote for a new left leaning Labour, will out weigh those centralists or swing voters who will desert them. His popularity has only surged so far from Labour members and voters, so of course it remains to be seen how he makes an impact on the rest of the country, whether he can, or even whether he's given time to.

Whether he does or not, the thing I find most exciting is that new media appears to be changing how people can find out about things and form their own opinions. The attention grabbing headline is no longer the vote swinger it used to be. The press hasn't been able to lever any influence over this leadership contest. In a lot of ways that can only be a good thing right or left.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Could this possibly throw up a new centre party coming from the remnants of New Labour and what's left of the Lib Dems?

It's nearly 35 years since the Gang of Four left the Labour Party to form the SDP, with mass and instant resignations from the Shadow Cabinet today could history repeat itself?

That's a good shout as many of us have moved away from Tory ideals but are not so far removed that we are left wing

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
JC has ignited the left and many young people will see this as the trendy right on thing. Unfortunately politics is one in the middle where most of us sit and his politics and policies will not sit right with the voting majority.

Cant see white van and mondeo man voting for higher taxes to fund massive nationalised industries or benefit systems.

Will make politics fun for a while on the upside. Can see a lot of working class voters moving to UKIP rather than Labour now.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Labour won't be JC's plaything and he'll take advice from aides. What's important to remember is his passionate left wing stance on the renationalisation of the trains and utilities is what the grass roots supporters identified with. Other policies can be relaxed in line with the middle ground support.

I'm frankly appalled at all the commentators and ex-Labour figureheads who have been so ferociously critical of Corbyn. We don't need to be told what's good for us thank you very much. We're quite capable of looking at policies and making our own minds up.

People are sick and tied of Blair/Clegg style "Great question, Margo" rentapoliticians.

Like him or loathe him JC undeniably has principals and policies that people like.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Far left and far right both cause inequality or hardship.
See the 70s for far left issues with rubbish on the streets, power cuts etc which i still remember. Then the remidy, Thatcher and the destruction of whole communities without any real help or thought. Having spent time in many of these, it was tragic. When you move far left or right prepare for the opposite eventually.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Whilst I would not presume to question your figures, this of course only tells one side of the story. How many traditional middle of the road Labour supporters will be cheesed off with this latest development and /or leave the Party.

Take your point but I'd question your use of 'traditional' and 'middle of the road', this is, after all, a left wing party traditionally. But, yes I'm sure some will leave, he did win a very solid majority though.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Labour won't be JC's plaything and he'll take advice from aides. What's important to remember is his passionate left wing stance on the renationalisation of the trains and utilities is what the grass roots supporters identified with. Other policies can be relaxed in line with the middle ground support.

I'm frankly appalled at all the commentators and ex-Labour figureheads who have been so ferociously critical of Corbyn. We don't need to be told what's good for us thank you very much. We're quite capable of looking at policies and making our own minds up.

People are sick and tied of Blair/Clegg style "Great question, Margo" rentapoliticians.

Like him or loathe him JC undeniably has principals and policies that people like.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whether he does or not, the thing I find most exciting is that new media appears to be changing how people can find out about things and form their own opinions. The attention grabbing headline is no longer the vote swinger it used to be. The press hasn't been able to lever any influence over this leadership contest. In a lot of ways that can only be a good thing right or left.

As long as the information that they are using to form an opinion is based on fact, not the usual social media guff dressed up as fact - there are examples of this everywhere and I am amazed at seemingly rational people who will believe everything they read on Facebook, for example. This is the danger and the traditional news outlets have to up their games to counter commonly held misconceptions, imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here