Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour tax cuts ?

The messages this government is sending out are all mixed, which implies they don't have a clue.

Example: In 2001 Gordon Brown introduces stakeholder pensions, encouraging all of us to curb our spending and set money aside for our old age.

In 2008 Gordon Brown now wants us to spend! spend! spend! our way out of recession.

So is this spending IN ADDITION TO my stakeholder pension contributions??

The facts are that everybody has to live within their means. It's ludicrous the way government seems to have an on/off button for spending and saving.

As they said on BBC 1 news last night, all the rule books have been thrown in the air, or more like out of the window.

Makes you think, should we have had an even more planned economy in the past?

I can say these are being done for electoral reasons " we now deliver you the highest taxes since 1973" doesn't sound to me like a winnable slogan.

At the same time the Govt is planning to release large scale investment in our nation, it is cutting 15% of the costs of all Regional Development Agencies, set up to manage large scale investment in our regions??

16-19 might be , we have floors 18/19/20:lolol: by the way have you seen the absolute stunner who works on the 15th floor ? i truly would crawl for 20 miles over broken glass on my hands and knees just to....well you know the rest !

freudian slip of the tongue..........................

A Barclays woman, their lookers always seem to reside in on floors 1-13, we always seem to get their outcasts.

A ODA punter remarked to me today as some of your guys left the lift "those guys (the collective) are sick?

I didn't notice anything different:

fags, beer and wimmin etc and

their mums? That might have been the strange bit?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can see their thinking behind the "spend to survive" policy but it's just SO irresponsible.

The natural inclination for most people when given money is to go out and spend it, therefore government has a social responsibility to try and curb excessive behaviour, just as it does in other walks of life, i.e. alcohol, smoking, drugs, gambling.

Government SHOULD be encouraging people to provide for a rainy day for things like insurance, pensions and savings accounts.

I think one of the worst bits of legislation was the introduction of student loans because that foisted a mountain of debt on young people, many of whom would have been brought up with parents who encouraged saving and prudence.

That helped create a culture of borrowing where having £000s of debt was the norm. It was anything but the norm 30 years ago.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Then to add on to peoples NI rates for 5 years to cover it, am I going mad? Can someone confirm if i'm missing something?

If I earn 20k, after tax and NI it's about 15.5k.

I then take off my rent, rates, utilities and car insurance which will not see a reduction in VAT and I have 10k left.

Even if I spend all of that on VAT listed items (which is not possible anyway as most foods are not VAT listed) I will save a WHOPPING £225 per year.

It appears (please correct me if I'm wrong) I will be paying 0.5% extra in NI on my 20k for the next 5 years to pay for one year of saving £225.

Extra £100 p/a in NI over 5 years is £500.

Am I getting this wrong somewhere or are we getting nailed here? :angry:

Oiiiii, can someone please confirm if my figures are remotely correct? Ta muchly

Oiiiii, can someone please confirm if my figures are remotely correct? Ta muchly

I make it less than that.

10000 / 1.175 (the current VAT rate) = £8510.64 (the amount received by the seller for the goods/services)

8510.64 * 1.15 (the new VAT rate) = £9787.23 (the new total cost of the goods/services)

10000 - 9787.23 = £212.77 saved.

Assuming no pay rise, you pay the extra 0.5% on everything you earn over £5,225.

0.005 * (20000 - 5225) = £73.88

So given your current expenditure, in a minimum (as I said, assuming no pay rises) of 3 years you will have paid back what you saved. Beyond that the government is on to a winner.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I didn't notice anything different:

fags, beer and wimmin etc and

their mums? That might have been the strange bit?
well what else is there to talk about ? to be honest when a lot of us see people from the 21st floor upwards carrying in their fairtrade lunches, the crudity always gets ratcheted up a little, i.e lots of "i smashed her backdoors in etc " :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The messages this government is sending out are all mixed, which implies they don't have a clue.

i spottd a great little contradiction in the paper. apparently theres a scheme for low earners to have their saving supplimented with extra 50p for every £ saved... now i admire the principle to help the poor save but doesnt that fly directly in the face of the rest of the message?

and did no one else notice the sneaky on petrol, alchohol and tabacco - all their duties will rise in proportion to the VAT cut so their is no net reduction in prices. lovely.

well what else is there to talk about ? to be honest when a lot of us see people from the 21st floor upwards carrying in their fairtrade lunches, the crudity always gets ratcheted up a little, i.e lots of "i smashed her backdoors in etc " :lolol:

"crudity" don't you put that in your beef soup?:laugh:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
So given your current expenditure, in a minimum (as I said, assuming no pay rises) of 3 years you will have paid back what you saved. Beyond that the government is on to a winner.

VAT isn't the value of items less 17.5% as when you work it backwards it works out nearer 15% but I certainly forgot about the free from tax amount.

The principle is the same though isn't it. The government are as usual making out they're saving everyone money and we should spend with one hand yet robbing us with the other

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Say you earn £15k, a 1% cut in income tax will give £1.73 a week extra in your pocket.

Say you spend £50 a week on petrol/booze and fags a 2½% reducting in VAT will give you £1.25 in your pocket, that's without all the other things you pay VAT on.

Also a VAT reduction benefits everybody not just earners.

The government are raising duty on alcohol, petrol and tabbaco.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
also, in 13 months time the VAT goes back up along with a higher national insurance rate and higher duty, so that won't be much fun...

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
As they said on BBC 1 news last night, all the rule books have been thrown in the air, or more like out of the window.

Makes you think, should we have had an even more planned economy in the past?

I can say these are being done for electoral reasons " we now deliver you the highest taxes since 1973" doesn't sound to me like a winnable slogan.

At the same time the Govt is planning to release large scale investment in our nation, it is cutting 15% of the costs of all Regional Development Agencies, set up to manage large scale investment in our regions??

Agreed about the planned economy, and we all know who the chancellor in charge of that planning was! mr gordon brown! bet he wishes he didn't sell those gold reserves now....

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sorry to do this but... Allow me to missquote you, I've heard this more over the last year than ever in my life.. and it's getting bornig...

..... when the Tories......

If people stopped comparing things to how they were in a bygone age I think we'd all be better off!

(This wasn't a jab at you in particular it's just been annoying me hearing everyone hark back to the "gloomy" days when the tories were in..

* ceases political brainpower for the day *

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
But what is the Conservatives detailed plan at the mo?

Darling has detailed the Government response to a world crisis- of which I am not totally convinced he is doing enough.

But the Conservatives are just producing more hot air than Drax power station.

The Government is at a significant advantage in these matters. They have the full might of the Treasury and thousands of civil servants who can run the figures and come up with detailed plans. The tories don't have that.

One thing is clear though, the old party lines are becoming clearer. Labour will spend more and tax more. Conservatives will spend less and tax less.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry to do this but... Allow me to missquote you, I've heard this more over the last year than ever in my life.. and it's getting bornig...

If people stopped comparing things to how they were in a bygone age I think we'd all be better off!

(This wasn't a jab at you in particular it's just been annoying me hearing everyone hark back to the "gloomy" days when the tories were in..

* ceases political brainpower for the day *

C'mon....this is what you do in politics. Please follow the protocol. We all shout at each other, try and interject a bit of comedy if we can, and then all retire to a rich person's yacht where Bushy pours me a g&t.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
C'mon....this is what you do in politics. Please follow the protocol. We all shout at each other, try and interject a bit of comedy if we can, and then all retire to a rich person's yacht where Bushy pours me a g&t.
HT it would be my yacht , and i would be employing nibble to pour , whilst on one of his breaks from acting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
note that the post mentions the eu emissions trading scheme!( it was a lame attempt at being funny) dont be blinded by your ( self loathing ? ) hatred of the middle classes , of which you obviously consider cameron and the tories to be members of,. you must be middle class because the genuine working classes just dont have the hysterical dislike of the middle classes that you espouse.

I'm working class thank you (as per George Orwell's definition in The Road to Wigan Pier).

Is that Bushy' ocean liner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here