Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This excuse from David Lammy is just farcical.

"He added: "The truth is that successive prime ministers, unless you’re a billionaire like the last one, do rely on political donations so they can look their best both in the hope of representing the country, if you’re in the opposition, or as prime minister." "

Sunak isn’t a billionaire, he can’t even get that right 🤦‍♂️

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

"He added: "The truth is that successive prime ministers, unless you’re a billionaire like the last one, do rely on political donations so they can look their best both in the hope of representing the country, if you’re in the opposition, or as prime minister." "

Presumably Lammy is suggesting that Starmer wears his wife's clothes?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

:facepalm:

Sometimes it’s better to say nothing at all.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
TBF to the PM at least he’s thinking about new ideas to deter small boat crossings…..

From the BBC

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has said he is “interested” in learning about Italy’s scheme to send migrants rescued at sea to Albania to process their asylum claims, ahead of his first official visit to Rome.

Apparently the Italian scheme has seen the number of boat crossings fall since they introduced the Albanian scheme

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
TBF to the PM at least he’s thinking about new ideas to deter small boat crossings…..

From the BBC

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has said he is “interested” in learning about Italy’s scheme to send migrants rescued at sea to Albania to process their asylum claims, ahead of his first official visit to Rome.

Apparently the Italian scheme has seen the number of boat crossings fall since they introduced the Albanian scheme
Looks like an interesting scheme. Italian ships pick up asylum boats in the med and take them directly to Albania. The Italian asylum facilities in Albania are staffed by Italian personnel and operate under Italian jurisdiction. Nothing like that batshit Rwanda plan that Cleverly is still promoting.

Re-opening legal asylum routes could really help. Re-opening dialogue with with the EU after the bridges were burned under the last administration is key. I’m confident SKS can get negotiations with our European partners off the ground and hopefully, get these legal UK asylum processing centres set-up across Europe. This could possibly save many lives as desperate asylum seekers risk everything to cross the channel.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Looks like an interesting scheme. Italian ships pick up asylum boats in the med and take them directly to Albania. The Italian asylum facilities in Albania are staffed by Italian personnel and operate under Italian jurisdiction. Nothing like that batshit Rwanda plan that Cleverly is still promoting.

Re-opening legal asylum routes could really help. Re-opening dialogue with with the EU after the bridges were burned under the last administration is key. I’m confident SKS can get negotiations with our European partners off the ground and hopefully, get these legal UK asylum processing centres set-up across Europe. This could possibly save many lives as desperate asylum seekers risk everything to cross the channel.
I don't see how there is a lack of legal asylum routes, with about 700,000 legal immigrants in each of the last two years.

The reason these asylum seekers are coming indirectly from long distances but more directly from France, is because as individuals they believe they would not be allowed in by other means. The only thing that would stop them from coming the Channel route would be if they were welcome by another route. If they were rejected at legal processing centres they would still cross the Channel.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He doesn’t have much choice, now that Sue Gray is wearing his trousers.
It's all harmony and unity....

Starmer reveals that some of the stories are true: “I’m not going to talk behind her back and I’m not going to talk about individual members of staff, whether it’s Sue Gray or any other member of staff. All I can say about the stories is most of them are wildly wrong.”​
A senior government source: “Sue is working with teams throughout civil service and acts with nothing but professionalism”.​
Another within government said of Gray’s leadership: “However bad you think it is, it’s worse.”​

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't see how there is a lack of legal asylum routes, with about 700,000 legal immigrants in each of the last two years.

The reason these asylum seekers are coming indirectly from long distances but more directly from France, is because as individuals they believe they would not be allowed in by other means. The only thing that would stop them from coming the Channel route would be if they were welcome by another route. If they were rejected at legal processing centres they would still cross the Channel.
You seemed to be terribly confused between asylum and legal immigration. Given your posting history, that really is no surprise. Right wing populism seeks to conflate the two.

Perhaps educate yourself here or post on a Burnley forum instead where the need to deciphor the difference between an asylum seeker and someone seeking legal immigration is clearly not needed:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Starmer reveals that some of the stories are true: “I’m not going to talk behind her back and I’m not going to talk about individual members of staff, whether it’s Sue Gray or any other member of staff. All I can say about the stories is most of them are wildly wrong.”​
A senior government source: “Sue is working with teams throughout civil service and acts with nothing but professionalism”.​
Another within government said of Gray’s leadership: “However bad you think it is, it’s worse.”​

“Most” leaves more questions than answers. Starmer more than ever needs a ultra press savvy Bernard Ingham / Alastair Campbell type media expect.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You seemed to be terribly confused between asylum and legal immigration. Given your posting history, that really is no surprise. Right wing populism seeks to conflate the two.

Perhaps educate yourself here or post on a Burnley forum instead where the need to deciphor the difference between an asylum seeker and someone seeking legal immigration is clearly not needed:

You've read what Amnesty International (and others like Human Rights Watch) have had to say about Italy's Albania scheme, right?

You described it as "interesting". They agree with that, but not in a good way.

Reactions: cjd

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You've read what Amnesty International (and others like Human Rights Watch) have had to say about Italy's Albania scheme, right?

You described it as "interesting". They agree with that, but not in a good way.
Indeed.

However, my post was pointing to a source that details the difference between an asylum seeker and a legal immigrant. The clear point is that many asylum seekers don’t have the agency to go through the limited routes that are available to enter this country.

Italy has a history of some less than satisfactory asylum policies such as their partnership with Libya and Amnesty International is right to view their plans with suspicion. However the UK is a different country to Italy with very different circumstances. Putting in place a legal asylum routes simply has to be looked at.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Ha! Good to see the BBC finally break this story tonight.

As with most things, NSC was weeks ahead in revealing the inside info concerning the rifts and growing exasperation amongst the Cabinet regarding Sue Gray. Even if some on here refused to believe it.

I wonder what interesting texts and WhatsApp messages will be flying around Westminster this week, now the Beeb has flushed this out into the open…?

Last edited:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Indeed.

However, my post was pointing to a source that details the difference between an asylum seeker and a legal immigrant. The clear point is that many asylum seekers don’t have the agency to go through the limited routes that are available to enter this country.

Italy has a history of some less than satisfactory asylum policies such as their partnership with Libya and Amnesty International is right to view their plans with suspicion. However the UK is a different country to Italy with very different circumstances. Putting in place a legal asylum routes simply has to be looked at.
But they have thousands of pounds to pay smugglers ? and not forgetting that they are already safely in France and the desire to still risk the seas to come to the UK really means they are economic/social migrants rather than asylum seekers.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I don't suppose that anyone has actually taken the time to read the story linked. This has come to light because Starmer declared these items last Tuesday as a result of seeking advice from the authorities, and the Sunday Times have got round to reporting this today.

A Number 10 spokesperson told Sky News it was an oversight that had been corrected after it "sought advice from the authorities on coming to office". They added: "We believed we'd been compliant, however, following further interrogation this month, we've declared further items."

But don't let facts get in the way of the pile on from the usual suspects. Did you know he had a curry and a pint too :wink:
I've read the story.

Yes, he was late in declaring - certainly a mistake, but as you say he was seeking advise, I get that.

That's not the story here.

Why is he taking these donations? Why is another man paying for his wife's clothes? (And his glasses!) - it's a terrible look - the money coming from a huge donor to the LP who is then given access to Downing Street.

I'd actually pay MPs (and certainly the PM) a LOT more money - and then have ZERO gifts/donations allowed.

The story here is that KS told us we were entering a new era of open and honest politics, with a much higer level of integrity, and within two months he's failed.

Coming on top of the WFA fiasco, he's having a (self-inflicted) tough fortnight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here