Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If (when?) a Tory PM personally accepts clothes, glasses (WTF?) and accommodation from a wealthy donor, and also accepts clothes for his wife from the same donor who, by way of pure coincidence I'm sure, was granted a security pass to Downing Street - people would rightly be asking questions about judgement, regardless of the "mistake" of not registering some of those gifts within the required timescales.

Nothing to see here though, I'm sure - it all sounds completely honourable from a man who promised us ‘the highest standards of integrity and honesty’.
It’s going to be a very long 5 years if the first few weeks are like this lol

And to think it was rather frowned upon to suggest “They’re all the same” 😂😮

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I can think of a hundred reasons why a Starmer Gvt was a better electoral choice than another 4 or 5 years of the mess the Tories got us into over the past decade but cbb. Time to put this thread on ignore.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't suppose that anyone has actually taken the time to read the story linked. This has come to light because Starmer declared these items last Tuesday as a result of seeking advice from the authorities, and the Sunday Times have got round to reporting this today.

A Number 10 spokesperson told Sky News it was an oversight that had been corrected after it "sought advice from the authorities on coming to office". They added: "We believed we'd been compliant, however, following further interrogation this month, we've declared further items."

But don't let facts get in the way of the pile on from the usual suspects. Did you know he had a curry and a pint too :wink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s going to be a very long 5 years if the first few weeks are like this lol

And to think it was rather frowned upon to suggest “They’re all the same” 😂😮
What is it with politicians and free things? Do they all just lose their ability to think and reason logically?

Rich people buying stuff for people in positions of power rarely looks good when put under scrutiny. Saving a few quid on your next pair of specs from Vision Express may appeal, but if you want to avoid looking dodgy, do as the kids of Grange Hill once famously sang, and Just Say No!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What is it with politicians and free things? Do they all just lose their ability to think and reason logically?

Rich people buying stuff for people in positions of power rarely looks good when put under scrutiny. Saving a few quid on your next pair of specs from Vision Express may appeal, but if you want to avoid looking dodgy, do as the kids of Grange Hill once famously sang, and Just Say No!
There’s so much more that’s going to come out i’m certain, at this rate he’ll be gone before Russell Martin

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't suppose that anyone has actually taken the time to read the story linked. This has come to light as a result of Starmer making a late declaration of these items last Tuesday as a result of seeking advice from the authorities, and the Sunday Times reporting this today.

A Number 10 spokesperson told Sky News it was an oversight that had been corrected after it "sought advice from the authorities on coming to office". They added: "We believed we'd been compliant, however, following further interrogation this month, we've declared further items."

But don't let facts get in the way of the pile on from the usual suspects :wink:
If you're classifying me as a "usual suspect", you're clearly not reading my posts as intended.

I know he had previously asked if he had to declare this. I know he understood he didn't. I know that now it is believed he does.

I don't give a shit about that - mistakes happen.

And I know if this was a Tory PM you would be equally understanding about the mistake, given you are so fair and even-handed on this kind of thing.

I do give a shit about politicians of all persuasions accepting gifts from rich people. It never looks good.

Also, can you please answer this with a single "yes" or "no" - am I one of your usual suspects?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you're classifying me as a "usual suspect", you're clearly not reading my posts as intended.

I know he had previously asked if he had to declare this. I know he understood he didn't. I know that now it is believed he does.

I don't give a shit about that - mistakes happen.

And I know if this was a Tory PM you would be equally understanding about the mistake, given you are so fair and even-handed on this kind of thing.

I do give a shit about politicians of all persuasions accepting gifts from rich people. It never looks good.

Also, can you please answer this with a single "yes" or "no" - am I one of your usual suspects?

No. I may not have read your posts as intended, if this is a general observation about politicians declaring interests, and for that I apologise, but that's not what the Times story is saying is it ?

it may also be that I'm misreading them because they seem to be interspersed and reacted to by the usual suspects which may well have coloured my interpretation of them :thumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If (when?) a Tory PM personally accepts clothes, glasses (WTF?) and accommodation from a wealthy donor, and also accepts clothes for his wife from the same donor who, by way of pure coincidence I'm sure, was granted a security pass to Downing Street - people would rightly be asking questions about judgement, regardless of the "mistake" of not registering some of those gifts within the required timescales.

Nothing to see here though, I'm sure - it all sounds completely honourable from a man who promised us ‘the highest standards of integrity and honesty’.

He did include the highest standards in dress.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
He did include the highest standards in dress.
Mmmm, Tony Blair in opposition attacked on all fronts John Major’s Tory Party sleaze….

The former prime minister initially wanted his government to be ‘whiter than white’. However, he came to regret repeatedly attacking John Major’s government on standards and sleaze – writing in his memoirs: ‘It was a media game – and in opposition we played it. The goals were easy, but the long-term consequences were disastrous’.

As I said, it’s going to be a long 5 years for the government

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I can think of a hundred reasons why a Starmer Gvt was a better electoral choice than another 4 or 5 years of the mess the Tories got us into over the past decade but cbb. Time to put this thread in ignore.
Yes, best to just stick to threads where you can all congratulate each other for beasting the nasty right of centre stupid people.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I don't suppose that anyone has actually taken the time to read the story linked. This has come to light because Starmer declared these items last Tuesday as a result of seeking advice from the authorities, and the Sunday Times have got round to reporting this today.

But don't let facts get in the way of the pile on from the usual suspects. Did you know he had a curry and a pint too :wink:
Really?, I love the fact you are all getting rattled when you have spent thousands of posts piling onto those who you are now crying about. It's all well and good to snipe from the sidelines in opposition but now your beloved Starmtroopers are in power you're all finding it a lot more difficult than you thought and don't like it when you get pulled up and called out on things you would have gone apoplectic about if it were the Tories.

• Love

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood

After all, you would have to be some kind of lawyer to understand these rules so only right to give them some slack here.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Mmmm, Tony Blair in opposition attacked on all fronts John Major’s Tory Party sleaze….

The former prime minister initially wanted his government to be ‘whiter than white’. However, he came to regret repeatedly attacking John Major’s government on standards and sleaze – writing in his memoirs: ‘It was a media game – and in opposition we played it. The goals were easy, but the long-term consequences were disastrous’.

As I said, it’s going to be a long 5 years for the government
And an eternity for the rest of us

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am prepared to let somebody update my wardrobe at their discretion and cost.

Although given most of my stuff comes from the cheap range of "George at Asda" because I am a skinflint, it is unlikely to reach the price threshold at which it needs to be declared.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This excuse from David Lammy is just farcical.

"He added: "The truth is that successive prime ministers, unless you’re a billionaire like the last one, do rely on political donations so they can look their best both in the hope of representing the country, if you’re in the opposition, or as prime minister." "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here