Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
BBC R4 statisticians with the help of economists nailed an analysis of the so called £20b blackhole. At least half of it arises from the very recent public sector pay awards.
I love this quoute

Ben Zaranko at the Institute for Fiscal Studies think-tank said the government had “not been particularly transparent” about the details of normal reserve claims. “They probably ought to be at some point.”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
BBC R4 statisticians with the help of economists nailed an analysis of the so called £20b blackhole. At least half of it arises from the very recent public sector pay awards.
……… which from what I understand were about acting on public sector pay reviews which the Tories, had they still have been in power, should have implemented but wouldn’t have.

and just checking on the reports that Labour research had indicated that 4,000 pensioners could die if Winter Fuel Payments were stopped. That research was from 2017. It’s 7 years out of date. Things change. Things will continue to change. I can remember thinking when they announced the scrapping that I would even have agreed if Sunak had done it. When you see things like people boasting they were going to use it to buy their Christmas Champagne, it makes you realise how daft the universality was.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
……… which from what I understand were about acting on public sector pay reviews which the Tories, had they still have been in power, should have implemented but wouldn’t have.

and just checking on the reports that Labour research had indicated that 4,000 pensioners could die if Winter Fuel Payments were stopped. That research was from 2017. It’s 7 years out of date. Things change. Things will continue to change. I can remember thinking when they announced the scrapping that I would even have agreed if Sunak had done it. When you see things like people boasting they were going to use it to buy their Christmas Champagne, it makes you realise how daft the universality was.
But universality is cheap to administer and doesn't require "pensioners" to go begging for support. Should have left it and taxed it or listened to Martyn Lewis and made it available through Council Tax system. I think Labour are relying on the 800,000 currently entitled, but not claiming, to continue not claiming. If they all claim, nothing will be saved.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Not a great start to the day for the Starmtroopers.

• Under a train - Nasty Wes Streeting confirming more staff but no improved process and ultimately less money for hospitals.
  • Jo Hamilton - Nothing has changed after meeting new minister statement on stage at the NTA's
  • TATA Steel - £500m gift for only cutting half the jobs in Port Talbot
  • Considering cutting the The Environmental Land Management Scheme by £100m
  • Labour’s green policies are costing jobs and “hollowing out working class communities,” the leader of the GMB union has warned
  • Early release prisoner immediately arrested for Rape, Sexual Assault and Racially aggravated assault.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Telegraph reporting Labour are looking at removing the single persons council tax discount.

How much of the £400 do you think will be left after the budget?
I may have missed something but why do people keep mentioning £400 when the winter fuel allowance is £300 or £200?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

• Under a train - Nasty Wes Streeting confirming more staff but no improved process and ultimately less money for hospitals.
  • Jo Hamilton - Nothing has changed after meeting new minister statement on stage at the NTA's
  • Labour’s green policies are costing jobs and “hollowing out working class communities,” the leader of the GMB union has warned
  • Early release prisoner immediately arrested for Rape, Sexual Assault and Racially aggravated assault.
Truly, it's a veritable meltdown.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
But universality is cheap to administer and doesn't require "pensioners" to go begging for support. Should have left it and taxed it or listened to Martyn Lewis and made it available through Council Tax system. I think Labour are relying on the 800,000 currently entitled, but not claiming, to continue not claiming. If they all claim, nothing will be saved.
Plus I have read that if they haven't claimed by end of July they won't get it this year anyway, which makes it even more disgraceful as stopping it was only announced in July.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Well what on earth was that from Starmer, with his popularity that has nose dived since July 4th it appeared to be a full on party political broadcast! It has to be justifying the tax rises in the budget, loads of money Starmer itching to spend,spend spend, let's hope it is wisely spent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So good to see our strong and stable opposition effectively challenging and sensibly changing all of this. As opposed to, say, holding their 5th leadership contest since the Brexit referendum.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
So good to see our strong and stable opposition effectively challenging and sensibly changing all of this. As opposed to, say, holding their 5th leadership contest since the Brexit referendum.
Indeed, let's hope they get their house in order soon!. Good to see you agree that current gov. is a shitshow.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Tories are a shambles.

We know that.

But does that mean the LP should follow suit?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, you've long had issues with the current Tory leader, and you now have an issue that he is being replaced? Tough crowd.

Besides, I thought Sunak did a reasonable job in PMQ yesterday. Publishing the impact statement on the effect of the removal of the Winter Fuel Payment would be a positive step in reassuring those who are concerned about this.

Of course, having spent years ridiculing Sunak for not actually answering his questions, Starmer then spent the whole of PMQ doing exactly the same thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here