Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is all a bit silly too;

“Neil Duncan-Jordan, elected in July as the Labour MP for Poole, said the argument that people in need could just apply for pension credit and get the payment missed the point of the current universality.

“Means-testing is supposed to target help at those who need it most. But those who need it most are those who don’t claim it,” he said”.

Well he says it’s missing the point but it’s not. It’s exactly the point.

If you need help with your bills, it’s there. Apply for it. What’s the problem?

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Ones the PM making the changes after saying the below and brought it up in Parliament

The others in a party that won't get close to power and no one really takes that seriously, most sensible people thought Anderson is an idiot after those comments.

if the Tories had brought this in, I imagine quite a few on here would be calling them granny killers.

It’s a different dynamic being in opposition when you can say what you like without real life consequence.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This country is literally tearing itself apart.
Fuelled by social media and misinformation.
We’ve just had a general election, a new regime, do we a) give them a fair go at it, some time to at least start; or b) try to undermine and disrupt at every turn which will just achieve more chaos?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
if the Tories had brought this in, I imagine quite a few on here would be calling them granny killers.

It will be interesting to compare the impact of withdrawing fuel payments with the numbers of pensioners who either died in hospital (or after being thrown out of their hospital beds and back into their nursing homes to infect others) during the Pandemic. All because the NHS, already on the brink of collapse after being starved of investment funds for over a decade because of what the Tories described as ‘necessary austerity’ cuts was ill equipped to deal with a pandemic.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
We’ve just had a general election, a new regime, do we a) give them a fair go at it, some time to at least start; or b) try to undermine and disrupt at every turn which will just achieve more chaos?
How about c)

Call out a democratic government when they make moronic decisions that affect vulnerable people?

We’d do the same for the Tories, why not Labour?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Awareness, complexity and stigma are the most common reasons. It seems you're blaming the most vulnerable for not claiming, can you not empathise with the vulnerable people affected?

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Let’s wait to see in 5 years if there’s anything worth voting for left.
NSC will not be the influencer in GVT policy decisions.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Awareness, complexity and stigma are the most common reasons. It seems you're blaming the most vulnerable for not claiming, can you not empathise with the vulnerable people affected?
I’m not blaming anyone.

I’m simply saying the help is there.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
How about c)

Call out a democratic government when they make moronic decisions that affect vulnerable people?

We’d do the same for the Tories, why not Labour?
No problem with that.

However, the change is to means test this benefit, not remove it completely. My in-laws receive this benefit because it’s automatic, they had 3 foreign holidays last year.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Given that 25% of pensioners are currently millionaires, I personally believe it should move the other way a bit :wink:

You know that this isn't true, it is misinformation.

"In 2018–2020 there were approximately 11,619,000 individuals in the 65+ age cohort, of which 27% lived in a household with a total wealth above £1,000,000" does not in any way imply that 27% of 65+ are millionaires.

In any case, what has that got to do with the 2M who live in what most of us would think of as poverty. It's easy to think of numbers but there are real peoples who will now have a poorer quaility of life.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You know that this isn't true, it is misinformation.

"In 2018–2020 there were approximately 11,619,000 individuals in the 65+ age cohort, of which 27% lived in a household with a total wealth above £1,000,000" does not in any way imply that 27% of 65+ are millionaires.

In any case, what has that got to do with the 2M who live in what most of us would think of as poverty. It's easy to think of numbers but there are real peoples who will now have a poorer quaility of life.
It’s £25 a month. For about 4 or 5 months until the pension increase.

And those in poverty can get help with heating.

People really need to calm down.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
I’m not blaming anyone.

I’m simply saying the help is there.
And has been for years. This is not a party political issue, but a social/acces/stigma/lack of awareness issue and is complex.
If labour can crack it, good. I hope they can. If the vulnerable need help, they should get it, as long as they have paid into the system, the system should help them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And has been for years. This is not a party political issue, but a social/acces/stigma/lack of awareness issue and is complex.
If labour can crack it, good. I hope they can. If the vulnerable need help, they should get it, as long as they have paid into the system, the system should help them.
Agreed 100%

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is all a bit silly too;

“Neil Duncan-Jordan, elected in July as the Labour MP for Poole, said the argument that people in need could just apply for pension credit and get the payment missed the point of the current universality.

“Means-testing is supposed to target help at those who need it most. But those who need it most are those who don’t claim it,” he said”.

Well he says it’s missing the point but it’s not. It’s exactly the point.

That covers 880k who to date haven’t attempted the means testing process.

But not the 2m others referenced by charities.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

But I guess the pension increase is there to cope with general rising living costs. So, it's not that the £300 fuel payment is being replaced by the full £400 pension increase. Much of that £400 will go on the other price rises everyone is experiencing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But I guess the pension increase is there to cope with general rising living costs. So, it's not that the £300 fuel payment is being replaced by the full £400 pension increase. Much of that £400 will go on the other price rises everyone is experiencing.
So we just keep giving people more and more money for free as things increase?

Unsustainable.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood

Yes, you should. Have a nice herbal tea 🫖

I guess you have never tried to help people claim benefits that they are alreay entitled to. Many people can't do it without help. If it's only £25 a month, wouldn't it have been sensible to pay that up front from the rise that you don't think these people deserve?

Should have put an extra 10% tax on alcohol and gambling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here