Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This disregard and flippant attitude towards the loss of human life due to this act is a significant indicator of the Totalitarianistic route we seem to be embarking upon.
Not going to respond to the 120,000 excess deaths from Austerity post?
Many of those actually happened.

You're talking about a theoretical 4000 for political posturing.
Not a good look.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm 56 . And often get lumped in with the boomer generation.

I don't have an issue with the Boomer generation.
I have a massive problem with the fact that this issue is allowed to dominate the political discourse of this country.

It is one of the least critical economic injustices of the past 20 years.

Arguing the toss over what's fair - for a loss oof £300 pa....
Seriously?

The state of the economy for our kids generation is by far the most important political debate and always SHOULD BE.
Yes, of course, our off spring are the future and one hopes that their lives will be happy and fulfilling, but that is no reason to take away a benefit from the vulnerable elderly to whom £300 is far more important to them than to you and I.
The reason that this issue is dominating the headlines is surely obvious to anyone with any interest in politics. Blimey, if the Albion had scored an own goal like this, there would be serious calls for the whole team and coaching staff to be fined 6 months wages! 😁

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sigh, there's also a reason why people call a lot of the younger generation snowflakes. Yes student loans, housing and those items you reference are more difficult for youngsters than it was for my generation. This is the reason why a lot of us are determined to help out our children but it seems a lot on here deem our children not worthy of inheritance as they haven't earned it.

There's no mention of all the new chances/opportunities that Gen Z have that we could only dream of. The digital world, the ability to access virtually any piece of information in seconds, the ability to find and apply for opportunities/education all around the world (not just EU) at your fingertips. Work/life balances that would have had us laughed out of a building if we asked for. So many things that now get taken for granted that we had to really go out and find.
But if you're young now and growing up on a Council Estate like @Is it PotG? and you have dreams of bettering yourself, you're going to have to start with a massive student loan to pay 9k a year tuition fees instead of a full grant or a £6.40 an hour apprenticeship, all to set you on the road to an average house price of £282k when average salary is around 34k.

Unlike others on this thread I don't necessarily begrudge inheritance but life is bloody tough for those that don't have it. Why should today's council kids have it harder?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, it would be a start and give time to devise a fairer scheme.
Alternatively, I understand that ‘Money Expert’ Martin Lewis put forward a suggestion of giving the payment to those in the lower council tax bands….not perfect, but possibly worth consideration.
Yes, the 40% bracket.

The only problem with using the higher rate income tax as the definition, is that would only effect 10% of pensioners currently (although predicted to be 20% by 2027 if tax thresholds and triple lock stay). Interestingly 11% of the overall population pay the higher rate but are just about to be overtaken by the percentage of pensioners.

The problem with using income tax thresholds to define benefits is that if you don't have a mortgage or rent to pay, the amount of income required to live reasonably drops through the floor (also helped by kids becoming independent). We survive nicely on about a fifth of the income we needed when we had a mortgage and kids :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, of course, our off spring are the future and one hopes that their lives will be happy and fulfilling, but that is no reason to take away a benefit from the vulnerable elderly to whom £300 is far more important to them than to you and I.
The reason that this issue is dominating the headlines is surely obvious to anyone with any interest in politics. Blimey, if the Albion had scored an own goal like this , there would be serious calls for the whole team and coaching staff to be fined 6 months wages! 😁
Sure - Political posturing.

This is exactly why the young generation are disengaging from the political process.
Hopefully the era of pandering to the middle-aged - older voter is over and politicians start focussing on policies to improve our country and not worrying what the Mail online thinks about their policies.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'll ask ZERO, he'll tell me what I voted for.

Of course I had no idea myself.

Here you go, I know you struggle with remembering what you actually did and then later 'forgetting' and trying to claim something else entirely

Not confused in the slightest.

I voted to Leave, and still do wish to do so. Can't see too much confusion there.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This disregard and flippant attitude towards the loss of human life due to this act is a significant indicator of the Totalitarianistic route we seem to be embarking upon.
When Labour start criminalising peaceful protests, bullying the BBC into being more compliant, unlawfully suspending Parliament to avoid defeat in a vote by elected MPs, sacking senior civil servants who offer Ministers ‘unwelcome’ expert advice, and introducing ID Cards for voting in order to try rigging elections, then you can complain about a Totalitarian route being pursued - and I will be with you 100%.

In the meantime, complaining about Totalitarianism over this issue makes you sound flippant. It is also insulting to the real victims of Totalitarianism in the former Soviet Union, and present-day North Korea.

Get a grip, FFS!

Last edited:

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
But if you're young now and growing up on a Council Estate like @Is it PotG? and you have dreams of bettering yourself, you're going to have to start with a massive student loan to pay 9k a year tuition fees instead of a full grant or a £6.40 an hour apprenticeship, all to set you on the road to an average house price of £282k when average salary is around 34k.

Unlike others on this thread I don't necessarily begrudge inheritance but life is bloody tough for those that don't have it. Why should today's council kids have it harder?
Not having a degree isn't the blocker to being successful that a lot of people seem to think it is, especially in the digital world, you can make your own way through hard work and good ideas if you want to. Certain careers obviously do correctly require certain qualifications and I'd be sympathetic to those degrees having some level of funding. Apprentice wages are dreadful I agree, but a trade/craft is being learned and the end state is coming out with a marketable skill, plus the employer is paying you to complete formal training at college etc. and not at your place of work. I would compare that favourably to effectively being at 6th form for 2 years not earning anything.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The only problem with using the higher rate income tax as the definition is that would only effect 10% of pensioners currently (although predicted to be 20% by 2027 if tax thresholds and triple lock stay).

The problem with using income tax thresholds to define benefits is that if you don't have a mortgage or rent to pay, the amount of income required to live reasonably drops through the floor (also helped by kids becoming independent). We survive nicely on about a fifth of the income we needed when we had a mortgage and kids :thumbsup:
As I said earlier, it would be a start and give time for a fair system to be introduced. The startling way the policy was announced was a genuine shock, and not one that anyone saw coming, especially from Labour, the party of the underdog. I genuinely don’t believe that pensioners with incomes just above the Pension Credit line can be considered those members of the population with ‘the broadest shoulders.’
Anyway, it is almost time for my butler to bring me my Horlicks, strongly laced with the finest Cognac that France can produce.
PS. Can you tell that this old Boomer has had enough of serious political discussion for the day?
Cheers!🥃😉

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Out of the 10 million pensioners who miss out on WFP how many of them live abroad in a warmer climate ?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sure - Political posturing.

This is exactly why the young generation are disengaging from the political process.
Hopefully the era of pandering to the middle-aged - older voter is over and politicians start focussing on policies to improve our country and not worrying what the Mail online thinks about their policies.
Political ineptitude by K and R, I call it.
Anyway, it is good to talk/argue/discuss, and for what it is worth, yes the Mail really is an awful rag!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not having a degree isn't the blocker to being successful that a lot of people seem to think it is, especially in the digital world, you can make your own way through hard work and good ideas if you want to. Certain careers obviously do correctly require certain qualifications and I'd be sympathetic to those degrees having some level of funding.
yes, we certainly can’t have poor kids getting educated. Some of them might start thinking for themselves.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What on earth are you blithering on about ?
Getting a job isn’t the only reason you’d go to University. Its purpose is education. Not what you wrote. And for Boomers that education was free.

Though there’s lots of evidence that you will earn more as a graduate too. Which will be nice if mummy and daddy are also leaving you 500k. As opposed to, say, a drug habit.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Correct, it would be outrageous for a politician to claim that we should “let the bodies pile high in their thousands”, I’m sure you would agree?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here