Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Labour Party meltdown incoming.......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Starmer & Co will be in office for 10 years max.

FACT. :smile:
Sadly for Labour in 2010, the media successfully convinced the voting public that the 2008 financial crash was their fault and not an international banking crisis.

The same media then successfully convinced the British public that leaving the EU will lead to less immigration (ha ha), less regulation (ha ha ha), and no trade friction at our borders (ha ha ha ha).

2 terms in which a raft of spending will be required on our schools, NHS, and infrastructure generally shouldnt be too much trouble for the same media to be convincing the public the spending is Labour’s fault and not 2010 to 2024.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly for Labour in 2010, the media successfully convinced the voting public that the 2008 financial crash was their fault and not an international banking crisis.

The same media then successfully convinced the British public that leaving the EU will lead to less immigration (ha ha), less regulation (ha ha ha), and no trade friction at our borders (ha ha ha ha).

2 terms in which a raft of spending will be required on our schools, NHS, and infrastructure generally shouldnt be too much trouble for the same media to be convincing the public the spending is Labour’s fault and not 2010 to 2024.

Both main parties planned deep cuts at the 2010 GE. Sauce: Guardian, IFS and Alaistair Darling.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-margaret-thatcher
I remember a Newsnight at the time saying there was a smidgen of a difference.

In hindsight, imho both were wrong, it went too far eg police cuts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Cut and paste this from Sky news:

Sir Keir Starmer has said "wealth creation" is his top priority in an election pitch to the middle class and middle ground.

"The first step of my Labour government will be to create economic stability, which means getting a grip of the spiralling welfare bill that's gone out of control under the Tories.
"We will set about, within days of a future government, reforming work support to get more people into work."

Is he really leader of the labour party?😂
I’m not sure “we’ll shrink the economy and get everyone on benefits” is a vote winner.

“Working Class”. The clue’s in the name.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This thread will be full of gems to revisit in the summer of 2026
It won’t be as funny as the Brexit one.

Control of borders. Extra funds for the NHS. Trade deals with everyone. Ho, ho, ho, my aching sides.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This thread will be full of gems to revisit in the summer of 2026
Currently the country has been run about as well as Everton FC. It’s going to take more than 2 years to turn it around, plus we’re still struggling from that other clusterfuck of a decision that you supported. I mean seriously, revisiting gems must as simple as going through your own post history.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And, as we all know, Sunak has, single handedly through expertise, solved high global inflation rates too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'll leave this for Labour Party members to comment on

You don't need to include me in the replies

The absolute irony that red collective appear to be working against Starmer :lolol:

Magic Grandpa is no longer a Labour member, due to his rampant anti semitism. I doubt they’ll waste much time on this.

I’ll add you to the list of “progressives” who’d rather have a Tory government than Starmer.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The absolute irony that red collective appear to be working against Starmer :lolol:

Magic Grandpa is no longer a Labour member, due to his rampant anti semitism I doubt they’ll waste much time on this.

I’ll add you to the list of “progressives” who’d rather have a Tory government than Starmer.
Well, exactly.
I'd suggest decent Labour members worked against Racist Grandpa just as a few brave republicans stand against Trump.
Stand against racist nutjobs, even (or frankly, especially) if they're on your 'side'

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017

Magic Grandpa is no longer a Labour member, due to his rampant anti semitism. I doubt they’ll waste much time on this.

Is it really ‘anti semitism’ though or is it anti Zionism or anti Israeli foreign policy (happy for you to put forward your definition)…the sad reality is the two have been conflated. No one who condemns Saudi Arabia’s abuse of human rights is automatically coined an Islamophobe…

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Is it really ‘anti semitism’ though or is it anti Zionism or anti Israeli foreign policy (happy for you to put forward your definition)…the sad reality is the two have been conflated. No one who condemns Saudi Arabia’s abuse of human rights is automatically coined an Islamophobe…
The textbook definition is anti Jewish racism.

There was a lot of it by Labour linked people on social media. Corbyn allowed it, downplayed it and disagreed with the committee that investigated it, despite being found guilty.

He accepted anti Jewish racism because it came from the left of the party.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I doubt @armchairclubber would be happy with a Tory Party that has the likes of Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Michael Gove to keep reminding us that Muslims and “illegal immigrants” are a terror risk to the UK.

borat

Jul 16, 2003

His "rampant anti-Semitism" is a figment of your imagination but carry on the delusion if it helps. It was weaponised against him much like it is being done today against critics of Israeli Apartheid and genocide.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The textbook definition is anti Jewish racism.
That is true in principle but a very broad and non-specific description. You know there is no agreed definition of what constitutes “antisemitism “ across the political spectrum right? Nor even amongst Jews. Not only has it been weaponised and misappropriated by both Jews and non-Jews alike but it is often misunderstood by those that use the term. . It is impossible to define antisemitism in a non-situational context.

As you can see from the posters above, there is a wide spectrum of understanding or agreement or even in British politics - I suspect in Corbyn’s case, it was somewhere in between the two extremes and his far left buddies were antisemitic in their defence of Palestinian people - he was a coward and should have called it out as I have on the Israel thread as I have also called out Islamophobic tropes.

These terms are problematic in any dialogue if there are no agreed parameters for what constitutes “anti-Jewish racism” and what doesn’t.

EDIT - not sure why I am getting a ‘wow’ response for pointing out the obvious and non-contentious fact that different people have different criteria for attributing an action as antisemitism or islamophobia.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here