Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour party figures say 17,000 new members have joined nationally since election

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
More likely they have come flooding back now Brown has stepped down.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Elements of both Brown going and the realisation of the treacherous behaviour of the LibDems.

But also having the nauseaous Bill and Ben of the "Alliance" govt at the forefront of the news.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Elements of both Brown going and the realisation of the treacherous behaviour of the LibDems.

But also having the nauseaous Bill and Ben of the "Alliance" govt at the forefront of the news.

Treacherous? Hmm, joining in an anti-Labout alliance when most people made it clear that they were fed-up with useless Labour - far from "treacherous" in my book.

17,000 new members? Wow, out of hoa large a population? :censored:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i really dont think many card carrying LibDems would switch to the Labour party. other than broad left wing agendas, there are many fundemental principles the two differ on.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

For some bizarre reason my 17 year old daughter on the back of all the election mullarkey got interested in politics and joined the Worthing Labour Party, she went to the AGM last Thursday and that where this figure was produced.

I did question it but it was actually mentioned on the paperwork for the meeting.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I had heard it too - it's a jump of approx 10%. I think the Tories membership is reported as c280k, labour as c170k (prior to the recent increase) and Lib Dem as c60k. These are all a far cry from the 'Millions' claimed by the big two parties in the 1930s.

labour did increase membership in the mid 90s (up to 350k) but they have continued to decline since then

NB this doesn't include affiliate members who are union members

the 48 hours after the coalition deal was the Labour Party biggest increase in membership,

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It will be interesting to see what the slide in LibDem support is over the next few months according to the opinion polls.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
equally if lib dems perform well they could see a big increase in future popular vote. Party membership is pretty immaterial - it will be mainly based in the strongholds anyway.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
who actually joins (and I imagine pays a subscription) a political party?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here