Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LA Galaxy and us

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
From their website - "Beckham made his United debut in September 1992 in a second round Rumbelows Cup match against Brighton Hove and Albion."

I love the depth of their research and think it quite charming in a non-patronising way, that the biog of of the richest and most globally-recognised footballer/sportsman should include a reminder of this most humble of beginnings.

Now I'm no particular fan of American soccer, but it's interesting to see how their sports language reads very strangely to us over here.

This winds me up about Beckham though. Donovan Ricketts is their new goalie - "The 31-year-old, who was signed Dec. 23, is a veteran of just under 70 national team appearances and helped lead the Jamaicans to the 1998 FIFA World Cup. He almost led them to the final stage of 2010 World Cup qualifying, only to lose out on goal differential to Mexico. Ricketts also (also?-ffs) played more than 100 career games with Bradford City, a fourth-division side in England, and played a major role in Jamaica's winning the 2008 Digicel Caribbean Cup with a 2-0 victory against Grenada."

Beckham can never say he went for the quality of football there, can he.......

Los Angeles Galaxy: Home: Home

Anyone else made their debut against us and gone on to better things?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Woah I'm not being pompous. I'm illustrating that Beckham's management team pulled a fast one when insisting he was going for the good of his career. Now everyone seems to have swallowed the line that he went to wind down his career but now finds he enjoys playing with Milan and hasn't lost anything so wants to come back. Surely that's the footballer in him, over the glitzy ad-man's wet dream he tends to be a lot of the time.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I was at that match, the announcer introduced him as (something like) 'David Blackham', and we scored within a minute of him coming on.

idiot alert here! Was that at the goldstone??? i was only eight, cant remember it.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I believe he came on to the Goldstone strains of:

Who the f***ing
Who the f***ing
Who the f***ing hell are you ?

:lolol:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Who the f***ing
Who the f***ing

Back to school tomorrow!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
my mate uttered the immortal words after seeing Beckham in his first Man Utd league game "he's gonna be the next big thing!"

...and how he was right!

I was at that match, the announcer introduced him as (something like) 'David Blackham', and we scored within a minute of him coming on.

I checked the video last night. Definitely announed as "David Beckham" to a loud and long chorus from the North Stand of "Who the f***ing hell are you?????"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Who the f***ing
Who the f***ing

Quality chant from the North Stand. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Woah I'm not being pompous. I'm illustrating that Beckham's management team pulled a fast one when insisting he was going for the good of his career. Now everyone seems to have swallowed the line that he went to wind down his career but now finds he enjoys playing with Milan and hasn't lost anything so wants to come back. Surely that's the footballer in him, over the glitzy ad-man's wet dream he tends to be a lot of the time.

he went there when the england management team told him he would never play for his country again. If you want to get angry then rant about the tub of lard who made that decision.
With new management Beckham saw he might have an international future and he has grasped the opportunity

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
he went there when the england management team told him he would never play for his country again. If you want to get angry then rant about the tub of lard who made that decision.
With new management Beckham saw he might have an international future and he has grasped the opportunity

Am I ranting? I'm not angry!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I remember all the hoopla when Beckham joined LA Galaxy – how Major League Soccer was going to change forever and become a major force in US sports. Fat chance – the Yanks looked on with complete indifference knowing that the status quo wouldn’t change. There was an initial novelty factor with attendances increasing but dropping off just as quickly. They saw Posh and Becks as fairly lightweight celebs. A lot of Americans play soccer as teenagers but always switch to one of the big 3 when it comes to the all important scholarships. The main problem with soccer is that it doesn’t have the interminable stop starts that the advertisers want – four 25 minute quarters, there’s a thought........

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Beckham probably realised that he is not going to be the next Vinny Jones to make it in Hollywood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here