Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kyle Bartley

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Interesting you've listed all those, but not Painter, who was Swansea's first choice centre- back in the Championship...

I'm not convinced he was ever a "first choice" centre back at Swansea, but I have heard he played there for them. I didn't mention Painter for two reasons, the main one being that we wouldn't have anyone natural to cover him and secondly, because I wouldn't think he'd make a good centre back. I don't think we need a new centre back because we have plenty of options as it is, El-Abd and Elphick will be back soon enough and then we'll have none of these rumours about being interested in this centre back or that one, on loan.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought the whole objective was to win the league not be a trial area for up and coming lower league players with potential. Obviously a club like Arsenal get the pick so he will probably be better than Dunk and thus allow Dunk to progress slowly without being thrown in at the deep end. I hope that we sign him but must be honest I would rather we signed an experienced man to play alongside Greer.

If we were going to sign another centre back, I would hope it would be someone experienced. That would make a lot more sense, considering none of our current centre backs have much experience in the Championship. If we signed Bartley, for example, I would think that counter productive because though he might have brilliant potential, I wouldn't think he was better than El-Abd or Elphick, nor Dunk.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
El Abd and Elpihick can be disregarded for the immediate future as they are injured the whole question to be answered - Is he better than Dunk? If Gus thinks so sign him

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Good enough to get into the Rangers side, and has a fair few games at Championship level under his belt with Sheff Utd. Wouldn't say no, we'd be paying very little i'd presume.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
El Abd and Elpihick can be disregarded for the immediate future as they are injured the whole question to be answered - Is he better than Dunk? If Gus thinks so sign him

He must be, he's a youth teamer at Arsenal and had a loan spell with Rangers. He must be better than Lewis Dunk, who came through our youth team and has looked impressive every time he has played. His performance at Southampton alone should suggest that he is capable enough to be given a chance. Fate has opened the door for him, I think he should start against Doncaster. If it doesn't go well, then talk about replacing him.

I think this whole thread is a bit of a waste of words though, I doubt Gus is planning on signing another centre back before saturday, he's spent time and effort getting Dunk ready and anyone who came in now wouldn't be prepared in the Gus way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I expect to see a couple of signings before the end of August as the Premiership have to name their 25 man squad very soon, not sure by what date, it will then show who is available and I am certain we will enter the bidding.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I expect to see a couple of signings before the end of August as the Premiership have to name their 25 man squad very soon, not sure by what date, it will then show who is available and I am certain we will enter the bidding.

Yep, I agree with that. I think we will be quite active after the second round of Premier League games when it becomes clear who isn't going to be getting games, but I don't think we'll be active before saturday so any signings we do make won't be at centre back, hopefully. We need a goalkeeper and a left back first.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why sign someone like Bartley if Dunk is good enough? I hope we don't sign another centre back this week and we start with Dunk and Greer on saturday. He's ready, let's give him a chance rather than prioritising some "promising" defender from Arsenal, who is probably the new Ryan Garry.

We need an experienced CB IMHO... Dunk is a BIG risk, and what if he or, worse, GG gets injured?

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
yeah, whats the point in gettin young premiership players down here on loan, what a waste of time.... we should concentrate on giving our own players games....

kazenga.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
"Centre-back Kyle Bartley has committed his future to the north Londoners by penning a new contract, reports the Press Association. The 20-year-old is believed to have signed a two-year extension that will keep him in north London until 2014."

Surely Arsenal will allow him to go out on loan this season now.
The best solution, Gus Poyet brings in Bartley in for a month to cover for El Abd. Then Bartley can go back to Arsenal for the Carling Cup games. Simples.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not convinced he was ever a "first choice" centre back at Swansea, but I have heard he played there for them. I didn't mention Painter for two reasons, the main one being that we wouldn't have anyone natural to cover him and secondly, because I wouldn't think he'd make a good centre back.

So you 'dont think he'd make a good centre back' even though he has already PROVED he is good enough to play there at this level? :dunce:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We need an experienced CB IMHO... Dunk is a BIG risk, and what if he or, worse, GG gets injured?

Gordon Greer getting injured (or sent off!) is a completely different conversation because it would be a different problem. It has no bearing on not signing another centre back, we have 2 fit and 2 to come back, with temporary options if required. That's enough, let's not have a Spurs sized squad full of players who won't get to play.

So you 'dont think he'd make a good centre back' even though he has already PROVED he is good enough to play there at this level? :dunce:

Marcos Painter has played 16 games in the Championship for Swansea. I have looked at some of the Swansea team line ups from those matches and I'm not convinced any of them were at centre back. Alot of the games also featured Garry Monk and Alan Tate, who are both centre backs. I might be wrong, I don't pretend to know everything, but it looks to me like he didn't play at centre back very much, if at all, and he certainly didn't play enough to "prove" himself good enough to play there. Maybe you disagree with my logic, but I think that's a pretty sound reply.
My source of information; Marcos Painter | Football Stats | Brighton Hove Albion | Soccer Base

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here