Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers kicking

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Did anyone else notice how many times he threw it or passed short last night? Seemed like a definite tactic to try and avoid his wayward kicking. Gillingham seemed to block them more second half but first half virtually everytime it went short. A good tactical adjustment I believe.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Agreed. Obviously we had two full backs capable of doing something with the ball when they received it from Kuipers. A lot of good attacking play came from this source.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Good tactical adjustment or potentially dangerous?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Good tactical adjustment, using our fullbacks to play the ball out.

Kuiper's kicking is a liability, I have never seen anyone backspin the ball how he does.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good tactical adjustment or potentially dangerous?

A bit of both really. Mixing it up is the best way. We so rarely win the ball when we hoof it long, however if we get caught out playing it short then it would cause all kinds of problems.

Last night when we played it short Dicker would drop short to offer another easy pass for the defenders. This also allows more space for the wingers. The opposition strikers will have to push up on to the defenders, they will not be able to cover all four so wide midfielders may have to push up on to the full backs. This will hopefully lead to more space for Bennett and Thornhill/Davies. Also with Dicker dropping back the opposition centre midfielders have to decide whether to follow him or stay where they are. It seems to me that playing this way asks more questions of the opposition, and makes our movement more fluid.

If we continue to lump it forward all the time the opposition can get set in defence. Especially as Kuipers takes about a week and a half to kick it, thinking all the time 'don't mess this one up', 'don't mess this one up', 'don't mess this one up'. When he does kick it invariably goes to the wrong player anyway.

So in conclusion, a mixture of both options is best but they need to be done reasonably quickly wherever possible.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
There was absolutely nothing wrong with his kicking last night.

Wish the same could be said about his handling of balls into the box... but that has never been his strong suit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of his problems is that he is slow to see a player that he can kick/throw the ball to until they have been closed down and it is too late so we revert to a long high punt to nobody.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I just hate his kicks. They're so easy to defend against and the ball inevitably get's headed by the opposition on the half way line back towards us. His kicks actually pin us back!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I've said this before, but considering they spend X days a week training you'd think his kicking would improve but it just doesn't seem to. Its got to be a fundamental bit of coaching, surely??

I don't know what game you were watching... but I can't remember a poor kick last night.

The only one that was a real waste went straight down the middle of the pitch but TOO FAR.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've said this before, but considering they spend X days a week training you'd think his kicking would improve but it just doesn't seem to. Its got to be a fundamental bit of coaching, surely??

I would argue that Kuipers' kicking has vastly improved over the last couple of seasons. Granted, it still isn't perfect, but I think it has improved.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's because of the full-backs. There was never any point rolling it out when we had, say, Virgo and Mayo there, because both couldn't safely do anything except lump it down the line. We also knocked it about in our own half a lot more last night for this reason. It was really good to see. I remember that game where McNulty got his kidney knackered he was taking on about four strikers in his own half and winning quite easily.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
There was no issue with Kuipers last night - he was focussed and intent, played well like the rest of the squad, and this thread is just a reach to find some nits to pick.

Leave it - it was a good game, good result, and everyone played really really well.
FACT.

I think you'll find the purpose of the thread was to commend him on a good tactical adjustment.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with his kicking last night.

Wish the same could be said about his handling of balls into the box... but that has never been his strong suit.

To be fair, most men in Brighton have problems about handling balls in the box

There was no issue with Kuipers last night - he was focussed and intent, played well like the rest of the squad, and this thread is just a reach to find some nits to pick.

Leave it - it was a good game, good result, and everyone played really really well.
FACT.

No new issues perhaps.

Good shot stopping as usual, some throwing out to the full backs as others have posted but ponderously slow distribution generally, certainly when compared to most visiting keepers, and I only saw him come for two crosses. One was over hit and an easy take, the other he cocked up.
We were in B block last night so had a different perspective on both goalie's positioning for the crossed ball - I thought the Gills goalie looked more comfortable/secure.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

FACT.

Or I was pointing out a difference in our play that was clearly evident last night. Kuipers kicking wasn't bad last night it is true. The reason for that was he kicked long less often.

Not every post on NSC is trying to start an argument, I thought we were just having a tactical discussion and for once a reasonably sensible one. I did not call for Kuipers to be dropped, or insult him in any way. It is an established fact his distribution is generally not very good, I was pointing out why I thought it was better last night.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Early in the game as soon as he got the ball he was giving it to Hoyte, which often started some great passing moves through the team.

Later in the game he took much longer, and would launch instead to Dickinson. I wonder whether having Dickinson in the team tempts some of our players into long ball a bit more? I hope not, and this is NOT a dig at Dickinson.

Or I was pointing out a difference in our play that was clearly evident last night. Kuipers kicking wasn't bad last night it is true. The reason for that was he kicked long less often.

Not every post on NSC is trying to start an argument, I thought we were just having a tactical discussion and for once a reasonably sensible one. I did not call for Kuipers to be dropped, or insult him in any way. It is an established fact his distribution is generally not very good, I was pointing out why I thought it was better last night.

I wasn't really meaning the thread's intent or opening post - the following posts had some that were seemingly trying to be critical. I put it wrong - no offense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here