Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kompany's red card.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I think yellow for both. Koscielny didn't deny Dzeko a clear goal scoring opportunity, because Tevez was always going to get to the ball before Dzeko. It was a deliberate effort to hold him back however, therefore a yellow card. Kompany went sliding in to a front-on challenge with one foot slightly raised. It was reckless, but there wasn't enough force or contact to warrant a straight red.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
When you look at it in slow mo both feet are off the ground so technically I suppose it should be a straight red. But... There is no danger to the other player because his feet are not pointing at him and the referee should, IMHO, have used sensible discretion. He could either have played on, no foul given (it is, after all, supposed to be a contact sport), or booked him. I think the red card was very harsh. I see Man City are going to appeal but I suspect the Premiership's equivalent of rugby's "57 old farts" will more than likely increase his ban. Refereeing at a low ebb at the moment I'm afraid, the rules should be for guidance not blind obedience and the ref should be able to make educated and informed decisions based on what he has seen and his experience.

It is, though, a complete hornet's nest!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I watched the whole first half and didn't see any of the officials make a single incorrect decision. Still haven't seen Kompany's red, but from what I've heard it was a poor call.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
By the guidelines for Serious Foul Play I can see why he got sent off. However with a loose ball what is meant to happen with his other leg ?

I'm afraid with the wording as it is - he has to go. Appeal won't be overturned

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just seen the Kompany incident - absolute car crash of a tackle and is easily a red in the laws of the game - could easily be argued to be reckless/out of control/excessive. Those complaining should be complaining at the rule book, not the ref's who's job it is to enforce those rules.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just seen it... two feet off the ground in challenge = red card. very simple rule and really he shouldnt need to do it. now this incident wasnt probably dangerous itself, but the rule has been put there to avoid leg breakers, and make it simple to follow.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
The angle the ref had and in real time, the way Kompany flew in obviously swayed the sending off. But I thought it was a good challenge and was unfortunate to get a red.
I totally understand the need to clamp down on the tackle from behind and the two foot lunge, but there is no consistency on this. One refs red is another's yellow.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Ermmm did you see what koscielny was sent off for? I think that was a bit more ridiculous! Pathetic refereeing all round from mike Dean.
Dont agree with you at all there ..... He had his arms fully around Dzeko, as the ball was dropping into the box - if thats not preventing a goalscoring opportunity then I dont know what is....

The Kompany one was ludicrous though....

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I think yellow for both. Koscielny didn't deny Dzeko a clear goal scoring opportunity, because Tevez was always going to get to the ball before Dzeko. It was a deliberate effort to hold him back however, therefore a yellow card. Kompany went sliding in to a front-on challenge with one foot slightly raised. It was reckless, but there wasn't enough force or contact to warrant a straight red.
Disagree - the ball was dropping right in front of Dzeko.... yer man Koscielny rugby tackled him to the ground. What else was it , if not a clear pen, and a red card??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What was Koscielny THINKING? Definite red. That Kompany tackle is red one week, yellow the next, unpunished the next. For me a yellow.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
1358098665145.gif

Doesn't look too bad from that angle.

1358098507505.gif

Slightly worse from this one.

1358098627491.gif

I can see why it was given in this one.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Absolutely no problem with the Koschelny red, he wrestled him to the ground. You do see this sort of thing in many games these days, but not to that extent. Good call form the ref. Not so sure about the Kompany one.

My issue with the first one is to do with the laws - to give both a red and a pen is a double whammy for that challenge and pretty much ruins the game for a neutral. Unless it's actually dangerous, IF you're going to give a pen, only give a yellow (if it's a second yellow, then fair enough, a red is fine).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All of you are, of course, judging Mike Dean here having conveniently had the chance to watch both tackles several times, in slow motion, from a variety of different angles.

Mr Dean got to watch each tackle once, in real time, and on that basis, from his position, it is entirely simple to understand his thinking and decision-making.

All this hand wringing from the likes of Hansen that "it's killing the game" is total horseshit: there have always been and will always continue to be decisions that people don't like. You just have to take them on the chin sometimes.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
But if you take away criticism of the refs, Hansen would be forced to talk about tactics or something

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
All of you are, of course, judging Mike Dean here having conveniently had the chance to watch both tackles several times, in slow motion, from a variety of different angles.

Mr Dean got to watch each tackle once, in real time, and on that basis, from his position, it is entirely simple to understand his thinking and decision-making.

All this hand wringing from the likes of Hansen that "it's killing the game" is total horseshit: there have always been and will always continue to be decisions that people don't like. You just have to take them on the chin sometimes.

As was pointed out regarding the Southampton pen on Sat - everyone seeing the "dive" first time would have said "pen", no blame to the ref/lino at all. Mistakes happen.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As was pointed out regarding the Southampton pen on Sat - everyone seeing the "dive" first time would have said "pen", no blame to the ref/lino at all. Mistakes happen.

Indeed: when I saw Shola Ameobi's tackle on Spanish Dave from my seat in the WSU, I thought he'd done him completely and was genuinely worried that El Right Back would be unable to carry on. I get home, watch several replays, to find out that Spanish Dave has rather embarrassed himself and that it was barely a foul.

Can we REALLY blame referees for making the exact same decisions that we all would, given their viewpoint?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Indeed - I would add that almost to a man, the pundits talk about 'contact' in the area, or about how a defender 'got the ball' demonstrating that they have little or no actual knowledge of the laws.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed - I would add that almost to a man, the pundits talk about 'contact' in the area, or about how a defender 'got the ball' demonstrating that they have little or no actual knowledge of the laws.

They also bang on incessantly about the mythical "last man" and "ball to hand", neither of which appear anywhere in the Laws of the Game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here