Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knights "penalty"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. first time I'm seen it in slo-mo. The guy took Knight down with every intention to do so.

He didn't clip him - he stuck his leg out and took him down.

Ok we move on, but even Soccer Night is calling the decision "shocking".

Anyone else see this ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes far too many times to mention - bastardos referee :angry: :angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
brighton rock said:
too many dives in the past one thinks?
So? Thats irrelevant. The ref should be impartial and judge a decision on what actually happens, not whats happened in the past. His job is to referee the game. Otherwise he's just some twat in a black kit.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yep he'll never shake the reputation (even though he's harshly treated about diving in the past anyway).

Kitson didn't dive for Reading either, he stumbled you could see, when you're running fast that can happen and he didn't appeal at all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
brighton rock said:
yes and it was a pen but if you cry wolf to many times?

You seem to be an expert - how many times has Leon Knight "dived" in the penalty area this season ?

So all the referees ring each other up before the game and warn each over about Leon Knight ?

The referee didn't see it and had to consult with the linesman. The linesman made the decision albeit from an angle where he wouldn't have seen the trip.

So now, how does that lie with your assumption that the referee gave the decision against Knight because he believes he's a cheat ?

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It makes no difference if he's got a reputation. The ref is there to make the decisions and he got it wrong. If he let Knights previous behaviour influence him in any way then thats even worse.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But he's got the diver tag.
I don't think he desreves it, he's tiny, a light wind could knock him over. A few times he's dived, but who hasn't? and he hasn't this season....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He definately doesn't deserve it. I've seen Leon blatently go down once at the Withdean (not in the penalty area). But players do that all the time.

He often get bundled over and probably stays down a little longer than he should do. But he's not a diver - how has he got this tag ?

He was elbowed at QPR - it was right in front of me..

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately refs read newspapers and talk to each other so word soon spreads.

I know that a ref from Dover Mike Taylor was once warned about giving Peter Ward a penalty because he did it a number of times that he refereed us and the powers that be thought that Wardy was able to con him into giving a penalty.

geoffreyp

Oct 4, 2004
rustington
Silent Bob said:
Yep he'll never shake the reputation (even though he's harshly treated about diving in the past anyway).

Kitson didn't dive for Reading either, he stumbled you could see, when you're running fast that can happen and he didn't appeal at all.

hey silent bob, could not agree more. kitson made absolutely no claim at all for a penalty, in fact he as good as shook his head straight away to indicate so. ridiculous and costly bookings both of them

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Not so costly for Kitson as he got injured later in the match and is out for a while anyway...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Strangely enough the ref that booked Dave Kitson is our favourite ref Mr Beeby.
He was the one who awarded Iwelumo the penalty at Cardiff.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
clapham_gull said:
.. first time I'm seen it in slo-mo. The guy took Knight down with every intention to do so.

He didn't clip him - he stuck his leg out and took him down.

Ok we move on, but even Soccer Night is calling the decision "shocking".

Anyone else see this ?

Saw the Meridian programme last night. Even more convinced it was a pen.

Plus Harding looked even more of a chump than he did from the stands

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
clapham_gull said:
So all the referees ring each other up before the game and warn each over about Leon Knight ?

I would not be surprised if this actually does happen and obviously not just Leon but any players they would class as "problems". The refs do get together and you can easily imagine them saying such things over a pint as: "That Robbie Savage is a pain in the arse to ref, isn't he?"

That said I was convinced it was a penalty and I was at the other end of the ground, also I have seen the TV and it is blatant.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Definate penalty, but at Millwall I thought he dived, swings and roundabouts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here