Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knightmare?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Turkey said:
Not at all. We still had player contracts to sort out then.

A new manager could have done that. Besides, I believe that almost all player contracts run until the end of June.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Jim D said:
The timing of McGhee’s sacking (and that’s what it was, despite other comments) looks like an act of desperation by Knight. I don’t know how much influence we on NSC have had (I really hope not much) but I can see another Boardroom bust-up as the main driver.

If that is the case then I wonder how long Knight will be able to control the Board. At the moment he looks like a lame duck at the mercy of the other, more predatory, Board members. If this change of manager doesn’t work out then I can see Knight being forced out by the end of the year. After all, he only controls about 25% of the shares.

I can’t see today’s action as any reason to rejoice or to look confidently to the future – quite the opposite in fact.
I don't think it's a board that needs 'controlling'.

And the end of the day, all of the board members are Albion fans and were not happy with the way things were progressing on the pitch. It's possible (maybe even probable) Knight wanted McGhee out before this - but finances were an issue. Who knows - the money earmarked for transfer fees now may have to be money used for McGhee's (and Booker's) severence pay? But that's wild speculation.

Above and beyond that, where are the lines of battle? Are they/have they been drawn up? I don't think so, unless there is stuff going taking place in smoky rooms involving things we just don't know. Finding a replacement manager is also the preserve of the entire board is it not? So do you believe Dick Knight is under pressure from the rest of the board to find a decent (i.e. someone higher/better than we could have expected - as per his track record) manager, or are they going to take some responsibility themselves?

And who would win in a power struggle? I would say ultimately no-one. Unless Dick is preparing to step down (and from the Fans' Forum last month, it sounds as though he has no intention on doing that) rocking the boat could cause more harm than good. Derek Chapman apparently has no designs on being chairman (he has his own company to run), the word is the Blooms would not be particularly desirable, Fatboy Slim isn't interested. So a new chairman would, in theory, be someone from the outside with new money. Then we're back to the age-old question - who?

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Re: Re: Knightmare?

The Large One said:
...So a new chairman would, in theory, be someone from the outside with new money. Then we're back to the age-old question - who?

One of this lot...

Brighton and Hove is a millionaires' playground with the eighth highest number of mega-rich residents in the UK.

Russian oil magnates, city slickers and showbiz stars are among the 836 millionares living in the city, according to market researchers EuroDirect.
[/url]

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Re: Re: Knightmare?

The Large One said:
the word is the Blooms would not be particularly desirable

Is that the 'word' of Andy Naylor.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
A new manager could have done that. Besides, I believe that almost all player contracts run until the end of June.

He could have, but he wont have them in training. So he doesn't know their strengths and weaknesses. Granted he could watch videos or ask the assistant etc.

Regardless, who cares, he's gone.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Knightmare?

Rougvie said:
Is that the 'word' of Andy Naylor.
No. If I can quote someone close to the Albion (no names, so don't ask) - 'I wouldn't trust Tony Bloom to run a whelk stall on Southend Pier...'

Not sure about this, but I don't think he made his fortune by being a shrewd businessman, did he? Uncle Ray might have, but Tony...?

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Ernest said:
I confidently PREDICT that by Christmas Dick Tight and his poodle Perry will be long gone and we will have competent people driving the club forward instead of a couple of mugs :angry: :angry: :angry:

Good job you don't bet on these things, you'd be homeless by now.

Gobshite.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Knightmare?

The Large One said:
No. If I can quote someone close to the Albion (no names, so don't ask)

Come on TLO you know it winds you up when other people put that!!!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I love that programme, it' still my favourite kids TV show of all time, even at the age of 22.

Oh, you mean this isn't about the TV show? Damn...

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Jim D said:
The timing of McGhee’s sacking (and that’s what it was, despite other comments) looks like an act of desperation by Knight. I don’t know how much influence we on NSC have had (I really hope not much) but I can see another Boardroom bust-up as the main driver.

If that is the case then I wonder how long Knight will be able to control the Board. At the moment he looks like a lame duck at the mercy of the other, more predatory, Board members. If this change of manager doesn’t work out then I can see Knight being forced out by the end of the year. After all, he only controls about 25% of the shares.

I can’t see today’s action as any reason to rejoice or to look confidently to the future – quite the opposite in fact.

Just rejoice that the clown has gone at last!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Knightmare?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Come on TLO you know it winds you up when other people put that!!!
No, it doesn't. It winds me up when people say 'I heard that...' and when you get to the bottom of it, you realise it was some pissed up bloke in the pub on his usual jaunt of fantasy.

Ernest did this the other day, when he said 'someone close to the club...' I wouldn't put it beyond him, or anyone else, to know people close to the club, so I believe him. I don't necessarily believe the person that told him, but that's another issue.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here