Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight speaks out

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry if this has already been up here

Knight says

"Certainly Reading are after our manager but I am doing my level best to persuade him to stay at Brighton."

"If the manager wishes to speak to another club then I will always allow him to do that, that has always been my policy, but that doesnt mean Steve is going to Reading."

"I have been working hard and will continue to do so underlying the reasons why I and the board of this club want Steve to stay here."

"There is no such agreement in his contract saying he has to leave for a better club."

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
The thing I dont like about that is "Reading are after our manager" after that prick Madjeski promised not to poach another sides boss :angry:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Beeneys gloves said:
Sorry if this has already been up here

Knight says

"There is no such agreement in his contract saying he has to leave for a better club."

A better club? Bit strong from our leader innit?

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
Cheers Dick! So Reading are a better club, never thought I'd hear the day when one of our own would say that. :glare:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If there's no such agreement then all Knight has to say is no, and it should be end of.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
80's Seagull said:
If there's no such agreement then all Knight has to say is no, and it should be end of.

Like Reading said 'no' to Pardew talking to West Ham....??? That put an end to that....

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
But as shown with Pardew, a chairman saying No to another club does no good either. I think Dick knight is correct to say what he has said - if you stop someone talking to someone else, then this surely breeds mistrust etc.

I am left in no doubt DK is doing all he can to persuade Dick to stay. Dick's comment about a better club just means reference to their position in the league and the fact they have a better stadium. Simple as that, we can't argue with that.

Originally said by Dick Knight
Presumably this means that his contract allows him to leave for a shite club in the Thames Valley, rather than having to wait for Barcelona to make a phone call.

Get it right, next time, Dick.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Seagull over NZ said:
But as shown with Pardew, a chairman saying No to another club does no good either. I think Dick knight is correct to say what he has said - if you stop someone talking to someone else, then this surely breeds mistrust etc.

I am left in no doubt DK is doing all he can to persuade Dick to stay. Dick's comment about a better club just means reference to their position in the league and the fact they have a better stadium. Simple as that, we can't argue with that.

So do you reckon dick will persuade himself to stay then ??? :lolol:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
berkshire seagull said:
So do you reckon dick will persuade himself to stay then ??? :lolol:

Have no idea - I have no insiders like everyone on this Board. Can't see it myself. The only saviour fact I can cling onto is that SC doesn't seem to jump into and out of clubs lightly (Man Ciy excepted) and would appear to want the challenge of management rather than financial reward (although obviously Reading would be a challenge).

I reckon we must stand a good chance of keeping him.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Personally I think Dick Knight should have told Reading to do one! Why should we let our manager who is under contract talk to another club who is trying to poach him??

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
For the very reason that happened to Reading and Pardew. It doesn't stop a club talking to someone else. We can't seriously believe Pardew hadn't spoken to West Ham before he resigned - otherwise he was taking a huge risk.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knight's approach is actually the only sensible one to adopt. You can't 'ban' someone from speaking to someone else, if they didn't meet officially they would have met clandestinely. A 'wrong number' on the mobile for example just to let you know they're interested, or a couple of hints dropped in newspapers. All this 'so-and-so will never leave the club' doesn't cut any ice nowadys.

Why hasn't SC already accepted the offer and annouinced that he's off (assuming that he has and is) ?

That;s what I don't understand. If it had been me I would have grabbed it with both hands, rather like MA did when Leicester came sniffing.

when MA left, the announcement from the club was merely about confirming it and arranging a compensation package.

And I am glad to see that DK is acting like a sensible chairman in all this, (unlike that stupid twat from berkshire when his manager wanted to leave). It would only provide a rift between chairman and manager where one need not exist if DK had refused permission. for all we know SC might have intended to speak to madejski out of courtesy rather than intent, and then realised that itwas quite a reasonable proposition........

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Knight should really stretch the budget on this one and offer Stevie some big bucks to stay with us, after all we desperately need the stability of a decent manager and if we get the Yes for Falmer ther eis no reason why Coppell cant take us there.

Come on Dick, dig Deep and make him stay!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Seagull over NZ said:
For the very reason that happened to Reading and Pardew. It doesn't stop a club talking to someone else. We can't seriously believe Pardew hadn't spoken to West Ham before he resigned - otherwise he was taking a huge risk.

But SC didn't apply for the job did he? If that **** Madjessie approached DK for permission to speak to SC then all Dick had to say was "f*** off you twat-go elsewhere for your next manager" and leave it at that.

Stevie doesn't know about the approach and we all live happily ever after:dunce:

Bournemouth Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Bournemouth
According to the Daily Mail today he has a clause in his contract that says that if he is approached by a club in a higher league then he can talk to them and if he leaves then compo of £120,00.00 has to be paid to us. Please, lets hope he stays for the good of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here