Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight interfered with transfer

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
A Seagulls insider yesterday revealed to Vital BHA that last summer chairman Dick Knight interfered with Mark McGhee's transfer plans.

The transfer in question was the loan deal for French goalkeeper Florent Chaigneau. Our source has claimed that when the 'keeper arrived for a trial, goalkeeping coach John Keeley decided he wasn't worth keeping but this decision was over ruled by Knight who forced McGhee to enter into a season long loan for the player.

Upon his debut against Shrewsbury in the League Cup on August 23rd, Chaigneau appeared uncertain and error prone as Albion slipped to a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the League Two side.

Boxing day saw the Frenchman storm off in a huff as he was only named on the bench for the match against QPR and he felt he should start ahead of the returning Michel Kuipers.

Apparently he apologised to McGhee and made his first league start on January 2nd, a decision which reportedly inflamed striker Leon Knight, due to the Scot dropping Kuipers, to the extent it ended his time at the Albion. It has also been claimed that this decision caused a rift between Kuipers and McGhee and currently looks set to drive the Dutchman out of Brighton.

Regardless of the squad arguments, in financial terms Chaigneau was a total waste. A year in loan wages spent on a man who made only three appearances. It certainly appears Dick Knight made a costly mistake.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So who revealed what yesterday - source of just poppycock

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
You wouldnt expect the man to name his source would you

Nope as you mainly talk bollox

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BensGrandad said:

Well BG has just blown any credibility of this thread by virtue of his mere presence. Let's see if you can dredge some fairy tale up now.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The couple of times I saw him (whcih admitedly wasn't Shrewsbury) he wasn't that bad. When he spilled it at least he knocked it out wide (which Hendo could perhaps learn from).

Then again I don't expect anyone on NSC to take off the blue and white specs to see past the admitedly legendary FDM.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Oi.

Don't discredit my story!

:glare:

It's totally true. The source will not be revealed because the source would rather have their job surely?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Surely most club bosses put their oars in on occasions.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Well I believe Dick Knight got Turienzo in over McGhees head as well.

Makes you wonder who really was to blame for relegation!!!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Miami Seagull said:
A Seagulls insider yesterday revealed to Vital BHA that last summer chairman Dick Knight interfered with Mark McGhee's transfer plans.

The transfer in question was the loan deal for French goalkeeper Florent Chaigneau. Our source has claimed that when the 'keeper arrived for a trial, goalkeeping coach John Keeley decided he wasn't worth keeping but this decision was over ruled by Knight who forced McGhee to enter into a season long loan for the player.

Upon his debut against Shrewsbury in the League Cup on August 23rd, Chaigneau appeared uncertain and error prone as Albion slipped to a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the League Two side.

Boxing day saw the Frenchman storm off in a huff as he was only named on the bench for the match against QPR and he felt he should start ahead of the returning Michel Kuipers.

Apparently he apologised to McGhee and made his first league start on January 2nd, a decision which reportedly inflamed striker Leon Knight, due to the Scot dropping Kuipers, to the extent it ended his time at the Albion. It has also been claimed that this decision caused a rift between Kuipers and McGhee and currently looks set to drive the Dutchman out of Brighton.

Regardless of the squad arguments, in financial terms Chaigneau was a total waste. A year in loan wages spent on a man who made only three appearances. It certainly appears Dick Knight made a costly mistake.

I think this story is true. I have heard it from someone who does alot of work for the club aswell.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:

No because that would involve having to actually prove it is true :eek:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
No because that would involve probably costing someone their job and losing himself a source. No journalist reveals their source.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
All chairman one way or another will have dealings into the transfer market - fact of life, despite my ocasional reservations about Dicks judgement and only taking the glory he does have the best intrests of the club at heart. Hardly blame him for this one.

1066gull

bigc said:
Oi.

Don't discredit my story!

:glare:

It's totally true. The source will not be revealed because the source would rather have their job surely?
You are making a very serious allegation here.

You do know this could potentially increase media awareness, like BBC SCR and The Argus, which could interest some of the national media.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Adriodinho said:
You are making a very serious allegation here.

You do know this could potentially increase media awareness, like BBC SCR and The Argus, which could interest some of the national media.

Just as any of the football rumours on here could (and possibly even have).

Some have some truth to them, some don't - i suspect this is the former

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I agree too, this would explain a lot that's happened at the club this year. Many have blasted McGhee for his relationship with some players but this puts a different gloss on it completely. With money so tight this type of behaviour makes it even harder for a club manager to build a team capable of competing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WEll DK saw fit to give over half the team contracts when we were between Taylor and Hinshelwood, is rumoured to have been the force behind signing El Floppy so it really wouldn't suprsie me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here