Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knee supports

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Have started playing football again,and used a knee strap but today my knee is now a bit swollen, got my current strap from Sports world a lonsdale one, i dislocated my knee and has not been right since why i need a support. I ran on it well enough yesterday but today its hell, just wondering if anyone has used a decent one they would recommend or just keep playing with the current one and hope it gets better.

31fs6lKog-L._AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

I am know expert but did you have an arthroscopy (sp) ?

Just wondering if you have any cartilage or muck floating about in your knee still.

I personally feel all knee supports are a mental thing and none give much support in such a physical sense.

scooter1

How soon is now?
After a second failed ACL reconstruction I used an LP metal hinged brace for 2 seasons. A lot of refs wanted to inspect it to make sure it wasn't a danger to other players, but all were fine once they could see there was no bare metal showing. My knee was swollen after every game, but I managed 2 seasons before then damaging medial ligaments in the same knee - at this point the surgeon suggested I give up. I still use the brace for snowbaording and the odd kickabout in the park, but its great and really does give excellent support

D

Deleted member 2719

After a second failed ACL reconstruction I used an LP metal hinged brace for 2 seasons. A lot of refs wanted to inspect it to make sure it wasn't a danger to other players, but all were fine once they could see there was no bare metal showing. My knee was swollen after every game, but I managed 2 seasons before then damaging medial ligaments in the same knee - at this point the surgeon suggested I give up. I still use the brace for snowbaording and the odd kickabout in the park, but its great and really does give excellent support

I snapped my ACL at 35 years old and never had a reconstruction but i was told in the uncertain terms never to play again or i would end up being a cripple (with or without a reconstruction).

How old were you when you snapped your ACL ?

dibbydoo

DibbyDoo
Aug 1, 2011
Brighton
I have always used Adidas Neoprene supports, heat retention and compression. Think it was about £25

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't want to change the thread, but does anyone know of a good low back support which would help me while playing golf???

scooter1

How soon is now?
I snapped my ACL at 35 years old and never had a reconstruction but i was told in the uncertain terms never to play again or i would end up being a cripple (with or without a reconstruction).

How old were you when you snapped your ACL ?

26. Had it operated on when I was 27, did re-hab and during pre-season it went again at 28 and was told that the first op was a "bad job". Had it done again at 28 and by the time I was 30 it'd gone again. As above, I managed 2 more seasons with an LP knee brace and then over-stretched the medial ligaments playing in the park with some friends. The NHS re-hab program is pretty basic and i'll admit to being lax about the level of work I did for my rehab. Had I have tried harder, maybe the new ligament(a cut from my hamstring) would have survived longer, but with a proper job and life commitments I couldn't be spending up to 90 mins per day excersising. When the weather turns cold I really suffer and do wonder how it will be as I get older

D

Deleted member 2719

26. Had it operated on when I was 27, did re-hab and during pre-season it went again at 28 and was told that the first op was a "bad job". Had it done again at 28 and by the time I was 30 it'd gone again. As above, I managed 2 more seasons with an LP knee brace and then over-stretched the medial ligaments playing in the park with some friends. The NHS re-hab program is pretty basic and i'll admit to being lax about the level of work I did for my rehab. Had I have tried harder, maybe the new ligament(a cut from my hamstring) would have survived longer, but with a proper job and life commitments I couldn't be spending up to 90 mins per day excersising. When the weather turns cold I really suffer and do wonder how it will be as I get older

I have being trying to get a MRI scan fron the NHS to see if i do need reconstruction sooner rather than later as i do not wish to wear away my cartilage, but will the f*ckers give me one, they just keep saying strenghten your quads and hamstrings. I have luckily not used the NHS much to date (apart from when i snapped my ACL) and wish to avoid the agony and numerous appointments and a new Knee to early in life, i really feel they don't give a shit about future cost just there current budget.

I know exactly where you are coming from Scooter.

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
Falkor make sure you keep your knee elevated,
I have zero cartilidge in my knees now due to a lovely gene pool, always helps to keep my knee upright for a bit after a game
Of footy.
If you can stomach vitamins try taking glucosamine, taking them will start to make your knee feel alot stronger, failing that pop a few ibuprofen and that will help with swelling

D

Deleted member 2719

Falkor make sure you keep your knee elevated,
I have zero cartilidge in my knees now due to a lovely gene pool, always helps to keep my knee upright for a bit after a game
Of footy.
If you can stomach vitamins try taking glucosamine, taking them will start to make your knee feel alot stronger, failing that pop a few ibuprofen and that will help with swelling

I have heard about glucosamine,But what does it actually do to make your knee stronger and how long would you need to take it to feel any effect?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I have heard about glucosamine,But what does it actually do to make your knee stronger and how long would you need to take it to feel any effect?

Glucosamine is actually very good, your meniscus has ingredients of in it inside, so it absorbs the nutrients from the tablets to strengthen it. It isn't a short-term thing. I tore my ACL in 2009, and begun taking them in 2010, It wasn't till late 2010 until I really felt the difference. Them + cod liver oil are very good supplements for joint care, and I would really recommend them. I just don't recommend the Co-op's they give me a bad stomach, but the boots version didn't.

I wouldn't recommend hinged, they can be restricting and more importantly they do not build the muscle up around the knee. The most important part of physio is to rebuild the muscle around the knee since the ligaments will never be the same again. Unfortunately, the NHS rehab doesn't help much, and I would recommend a cycling machine or cycling regularly to really help.

Some suggested Neoprene support, I would recommend them also. They're unrestrictive, very tidy too, you won't notice them and they don't restrict muscle strength. Often cheap, easy to clean and widely available.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I have being trying to get a MRI scan fron the NHS to see if i do need reconstruction sooner rather than later as i do not wish to wear away my cartilage, but will the f*ckers give me one, they just keep saying strenghten your quads and hamstrings. I have luckily not used the NHS much to date (apart from when i snapped my ACL) and wish to avoid the agony and numerous appointments and a new Knee to early in life, i really feel they don't give a shit about future cost just there current budget.

I know exactly where you are coming from Scooter.

Well, they're right. You're less likely to tear the ligaments further if the muscles were stronger....

D

Deleted member 2719

Glucosamine is actually very good, your meniscus has ingredients of in it inside, so it absorbs the nutrients from the tablets to strengthen it. It isn't a short-term thing. I tore my ACL in 2009, and begun taking them in 2010, It wasn't till late 2010 until I really felt the difference. Them + cod liver oil are very good supplements for joint care, and I would really recommend them. I just don't recommend the Co-op's they give me a bad stomach, but the boots version didn't.

I wouldn't recommend hinged, they can be restricting and more importantly they do not build the muscle up around the knee. The most important part of physio is to rebuild the muscle around the knee since the ligaments will never be the same again. Unfortunately, the NHS rehab doesn't help much, and I would recommend a cycling machine or cycling regularly to really help.

Some suggested Neoprene support, I would recommend them also. They're unrestrictive, very tidy too, you won't notice them and they don't restrict muscle strength. Often cheap, easy to clean and widely available.

Thanks for the advice
i snapped mine over 13years ago and played squash for two years after and i now play golf, apart from that i have kept away from high impact or contact sports and my knee is loose but i used to get quite a lot of pain in it but for some reason it has been pretty good for4 to 5 years now and i am expecting bone on bone at some point. My theory was not to have the ACL reconstruction as i thought drilling into my knee may help short term but surely more chance of arthritis later on.
But if i get more pain i may give the supplements a shot.:thumbsup:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Thanks for the advice
i snapped mine over 13years ago and played squash for two years after and i now play golf, apart from that i have kept away from high impact or contact sports and my knee is loose but i used to get quite a lot of pain in it but for some reason it has been pretty good for4 to 5 years now and i am expecting bone on bone at some point. My theory was not to have the ACL reconstruction as i thought drilling into my knee may help short term but surely more chance of arthritis later on.
But if i get more pain i may give the supplements a shot.:thumbsup:
The supplements would decrease any future damage to other joints, I would recommend taking them anyway. But if you're a member of a gym, hit the cycling machines. They will do wonders for the muscle around your knee to prevent further damage. But current pain is hard to prevent, I share your pain. Winters are incredibly painful for me aswell.

D

Deleted member 2719

The supplements would decrease any future damage to other joints, I would recommend taking them anyway. But if you're a member of a gym, hit the cycling machines. They will do wonders for the muscle around your knee to prevent further damage. But current pain is hard to prevent, I share your pain. Winters are incredibly painful for me aswell.

Thanks you have convinced me to stick a few shifts in on the old bike and pop some pills.

:)

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton

What @greer'selbow said is dead on, to get an effect with vitamins, I've always been taught that it should normally be between 2-3 weeks to get in your system, try and pop into the Chichester Boots and speak to either a pharmacist or healthcare consultant (vitamin advisor) they should be able to find you what you want.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I am know expert but did you have an arthroscopy (sp) ?

Just wondering if you have any cartilage or muck floating about in your knee still.

I personally feel all knee supports are a mental thing and none give much support in such a physical sense.

you may not be a medical expert but you could be. You make perfect sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here