Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Bring back the flumes!!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Regardless of the in's and the out's of the scheme, it's sad another possible future scheme for Brighton and Hove bites the dust.

I just fear the place will soon start resting on its laurels again and nothing will get done, NIMBYism gone mad..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Regardless of the in's and the out's of the scheme, it's sad another possible future scheme for Brighton and Hove bites the dust.

I just fear the place will soon start resting on its laurels again and nothing will get done, NIMBYism gone mad..

NIMBYism is one thing, but if you're going to have a commercial project which is near-guaranteed to fail commercially (i.e. apartments that, during a credit crunch, won't get sold), it's just simply not going to get built.

Even the completion of the 'Cheese-grater' building in the City of London is being delayed by a year until they find tenants to fill it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good as they looked bloody ugly.
Yeah I didn't think much of them stylisticly, but they pissed off the Regency Society and the innate conservative NIMBYism of a fair proportion of Brighton and Hove residents so they were GOOD. Consequently I'm disappointed at the news, it's so damm hard to get anything built in this city.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
NIMBYism is one thing, but if you're going to have a commercial project which is near-guaranteed to fail commercially (i.e. apartments that, during a credit crunch, won't get sold), it's just simply not going to get built.

Even the completion of the 'Cheese-grater' building in the City of London is being delayed by a year until they find tenants to fill it.

Thing is, it was first proposed years ago. It should have been built by now, crunch or no crunch. Much like our stadium.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Yeah I didn't think much of them stylisticly, but they pissed off the Regency Society and the innate conservative NIMBYism of a fair proportion of Brighton and Hove residents so they were GOOD. Consequently I'm disappointed at the news, it's so damm hard to get anything built in this city.

TBH i am not a fan of "modern" architecture

As you say it is way too hard to get anything decent built in Brighton.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
according to BBC SCR. Credit crunch has dealt a killer blow.

Great news.

It was never about providing a decent sports centre for the city, hence the reduction in the size of the pool etc etc, but more about the gross greed of Karis, the developer, and their bankers - hence the cramming of 750-odd flats onto such a relatively small site.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I live very very close to the present eye sore and feel this is a great shame. The city is getting a reputation as a place where it is almost impossible to build anything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
TBH i am not a fan of "modern" architecture

As you say it is way too hard to get anything decent built in Brighton.

What do you propose then? A mock-regency swimming pool would look pretty daft wouldnt it?

You might not like modern architecture but this is the 21st century.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's a shame that the site is going to stay a mess. But never really liked that plan. The area's far too overcrowded already, and it surely is about time a city like ours had a decent sports centre, rather than one that's shoe-horned in to keep the planners happy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a shame that the site is going to stay a mess. But never really liked that plan. The area's far too overcrowded already, and it surely is about time a city like ours had a decent sports centre, rather than one that's shoe-horned in to keep the planners happy.

This city's sporting facilities are pants.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good - it was a f***ing ugly design, we can do far better than that pile of poo, there is a happy medium between old and new, and that was not it!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good - it was a f***ing ugly design, we can do far better than that pile of poo, there is a happy medium between old and new, and that was not it!

Why does everyone have this fetish with the old?

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
All i wanted was a decent leisure center for my kids and their kids etc. The King Alfred is a joke i think its disgusting that me and alot of other people i know would rather drive to burgess hill or even crawley than go to any of the piss poor so called leisure centers the CITY of brighton and hove has to offer. But our local government are to far up their own arses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here