Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King alfred Towers

Do you want the tower development?

• Yes - Towers are the way forward or up?

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • No - They will ruin the Hove actually area!

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Does my face look botherd? Well does it? Botherd

Votes: 10 10.6%

• Total voters

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
London Irish said:
There is now a NIMBY alliance controlling Brighton Council - a Green/Tory/Liberal Democrat gang of opportunists who are just opposing EVERYTHING - our extra seats, the Marina development, the extra park and ride at Patcham that would have given us an £20m in government transport funds for the city, and finally this Gehry design for King Alfred.

Thank f*** we got the Albion home from Pissfield before this gang of lazy, reactionary twats got power :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

For the first and only time I find myself agreeing with what LI is saying in a post. :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bouncing this thread because Insight City News, an otherwise unreadable local organ has published a letter from a firm of architects offering an alternative to the proposals, which they say are being rushed through.

What do we feel about them now? Anyone changed their views?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
On the Argus forums....

Easy 10 was accused of being one of the first from the test tube generation, after he made some scathing comment about the blue rinse brigade.

To quote..."Sadly not, although it must be nice to have a womb with a view."
:lolol:

I am feel I am still for the Karis development, but I would be very interested to see the Nick Lomax alternative.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I can see alot of towers in Brighton and Hove soon because we need to build more housing etc as Londoners move down here and we cant build north (Downs and Bypass rule) we cant build south (Sea) we cant build east (Newhaven/Seaford) and we cant build west (Shoreham/Worthing).

Up is the only way to build in this city!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
London Irish said:
There is now a NIMBY alliance controlling Brighton Council - a Green/Tory/Liberal Democrat gang of opportunists who are just opposing EVERYTHING - our extra seats, the Marina development, the extra park and ride at Patcham that would have given us an extra £20m in government transport funds for the city, and finally this Gehry design for King Alfred.

Thank f*** we got the Albion home from Pissfield before this gang of lazy, reactionary twats got power :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

LI, I fear the Tories, Lib Dems and Greens will take much firmer control next year. The Tories only need to win one seat off Labour to become the leading party on the Council (Hangleton and Knoll is very likely to go to them, probably Wish and maybe Goldsmid, which used to be solidly Tory). In addition, the Greens may well take all of Hanover and Elm Grove and Preston Park. And what's the Labour councillor in Regency's majority? Something like four votes? It doesn't look good for development in the city, does it? As for the towers, yes please, but I'm not too sure about the housing at the lower level. It looks like a series of boxes.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
desprateseagull said:
traffic will be my main concern- this town is v.busy as it is..

what with North Street closed (major roadworks?) for up to a year, i can see gridlock spreading al around.

I drive into the centre of Brighton every day and I can honestly say that the traffic is never really a problem although I don't have to cross the A23

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been at work in the city centre both days this week, and it honestly didn't appear that the traffic was any worse than normal, even with the roadworks.

I noticed that one of the southern TV companies turned up in North Street yesterday with their cameras, presumably with the intention of filming total gridlock and staging a few voxpops with seethingly irate motorists (obviously a slow news day on Meridian).

Instead it was something like this :tumble:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I live very close the the King Alfred (Osborne Villas) and I am totally for the Gehry building for a number of reasons:

1) First and foremost it is a stunning piece of contemporary architecture which will liven up a very dreary part of the seafront.
2) It will provide a much needed boost to the economy.
3) It will provide quality afordable housing and a state-of-the-art sports municiple sports centre at NO cost to the tax payer.
4) It will provide a gateway for other developments like the redevelopment of the Brighton Centre.

If the Conservatives get control of the council this project will die, along with any ideas about redeveloping other sites such as The Brighton Centre. A Tory council will be a massive backward economic step for our city. Dont let this happen.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Tubthumper said:
A Tory council will be a massive backward economic step for our city. Dont let this happen.

Anyone who lives in the Regency ward should bear in mind that the arch-NIMBY Robert Stuart Nemeth is standing for the Tories in that ward, which stretches from the Hove boundary along to the Sea Life Centre roundabout, and up along North Street, then up Dyke Road to Seven Dials.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
ali jenkins said:
I can see alot of towers in Brighton and Hove soon because we need to build more housing etc as Londoners move down here and we cant build north (Downs and Bypass rule) we cant build south (Sea) we cant build east (Newhaven/Seaford) and we cant build west (Shoreham/Worthing).

Up is the only way to build in this city!
I agree with you but..................... The gentrification means that a lot of people now want Brighton and Hove to become quieter and have a smaller population. I suspect the nimby alliance will soon have total control of the council.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When it comes to building anything remotely innovative, or marginally larger than a Wendy House, Brighton & Hove is a total nightmare.

Out of the woodwork come the Anti-Progress Society, hiding their real concerns (poor people being allowed to move into the area!) behind ill-disguised rants about the Regency skyline etc.

Yes, that famous Regency skyline, as exemplified by such classics of the style as the Kingswest, the Brighton Centre, the Thistle hotel, Embassy Court, the King Alfred, Churchill Square, that green thing in New England Street, and Shoreham power station & port area.

FFS, I dread to think how backward the city will be in 50 years time- the derelict buildings all around will still be there, because some old granny thinks anything new whatsoever will spoil her view, every other city in the country will be moving apace while we're still debating with a few NIMBYs over things like some new flats and a football stadium at Falmer.

(maybe that's the NIMBY plan- drag things out until all the important people- Frank Gehry, Dick Knight etc- are dead).

:angry:

Yoda

English & European
London Irish said:
There is now a NIMBY alliance controlling Brighton Council - a Green/Tory/Liberal Democrat gang of opportunists who are just opposing EVERYTHING - our extra seats, the Marina development, the extra park and ride at Patcham that would have given us an extra £20m in government transport funds for the city, and finally this Gehry design for King Alfred.

LI, you've missed one.

FALMER! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here