Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King Alfred Development - Rob Starr, Crest Nicholson, No 50m Pool

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We must have plenty of surplus after Hyppia's period; didn't see many sporting events during his tenure.
How many times a season do you go to the Amex to see us play?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't argue with the rest of your post although it does point out the amount of income that the city receives by having such a facility but this is something that always gets brought up and irritates me slightly.

The improvements to the city made for the WSG have been used as a stick to beat the council with for decades. Fact is, the true cost wasn't that bad when you consider the long term benefit to the area. It wasn't just Don Valley and Ponds Forge, lots of dilapidated flats were improved etc. The real crime was that successive councils refinanced the debt so badly, and this is why it's still being paid off.

I'd like to see a real cost/benefit analysis though on how much the local economy has gained by having these facilities over 25 years. Most Sheffield folk wouldn't like this though as (like most people) they prefer to just slag the council off (while using the great facilities). Better things to slag them off for imo.

Anyway, sorry this is completely OFF topic.

That's alright - most of the interesting discussion on NSC is off-topic. I'm with you - Sheffield has played host to hundreds and hundreds of large and mid-sized events through these facilities - many more if you include the Arena as well. The income to the city's hotel and restaurant trade must be staggering.

People don't appreciate the scale of some of the 'small' events, either. For example, PF has hosted Swimming World Cup meets, which sounds big (and IS important), but actually involve 200 competitors, 100 officials and a couple of thousand day-trippers to watch. Compare that to something like the British Age Groups Championships, for kids - hundreds and hundreds of competitors, with their families, staying (and spending) in the city for a week.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst I wasn't in favour of the Ghery design at the time, I am now of the opinion that it was an opportunity lost and that could have been a big tourist boost for the city, as his designs have been elsewhere worldwide. The current offering of a 60s block will end up like the rest of them.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well, obviously not your cup of tea, but there are millions of people around the world who travel it just to see pieces of unique architecture such as this, and most of these have money they could splash all over our city. Each to one's own.

What was unique about that ubiquitous Gehry mass density housing development compared to the current unique project? Why would someone travel the world to see the former rather than the latter? Where is the 50m pool?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
predictable decision.......fob the public off with a second rate recreational facility in favour of plonking 400+ flats on a prime bit of seafront.....no doubt the rates collected from said dwellings will pay to have the rest of the area tarted up........not. Any thought given to the effect of this massive building on the houses on the northern side of marine parade i wonder.......they will be in permanent darkness in the winter months.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What was unique about that ubiquitous Gehry mass density housing development compared to the current unique project? Why would someone travel the world to see the former rather than the latter?

60s housing block v medern design by world renowned architect?

Where is the 50m pool?

About 100 yards south - it's huge.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What was unique about that ubiquitous Gehry mass density housing development compared to the current unique project? Why would someone travel the world to see the former rather than the latter? Where is the 50m pool?

Why is there an obsession with a 50m pool in Brighton? There is 1 in Crawley, 3 in London. If you are a potential international swimmer, the 30min drive to Crawley for training must be suitable? Why have one in a location where it is difficult to park, access etc?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Why is there an obsession with a 50m pool in Brighton? There is 1 in Crawley, 3 in London. If you are a potential international swimmer, the 30min drive to Crawley for training must be suitable? Why have one in a location where it is difficult to park, access etc?

The KA site is very accessible and is on one of the the only bike paths that are safe in Brighton & Hove. Brighton has a high proportion of fitness freaks in relation to the rest of the U.K. Shown by having 4 Parkruns attracting around 1,000 runners weekly. The current swimming pools are not adequate for the number of people who wish to use them.
The council are giving the site to the developers and £15m for a pool. A 2 bed flat with sea views will go for upwards of £500,000. Work out the maths. A giveaway.
Following your logic we could close down the Amex and support Crawley or a London team.
Swimming would not be important to someone worried about parking.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The KA site is very accessible and is on one of the the only bike paths that are safe in Brighton & Hove. Brighton has a high proportion of fitness freaks in relation to the rest of the U.K. Shown by having 4 Parkruns attracting around 1,000 runners weekly. The current swimming pools are not adequate for the number of people who wish to use them.
The council are giving the site to the developers and £15m for a pool. A 2 bed flat with sea views will go for upwards of £500,000. Work out the maths. A giveaway.
Following your logic we could close down the Amex and support Crawley or a London team.
Swimming would not be important to someone worried about parking.

You can't swim in a 25m pool? :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, that is why I said the K2 is a suitable training venue for international swimmers under 30mins drive from Brighton a few posts earlier.
Yes, but knocky replied to you suggesting people shouldn't have to go to Crawley. You think they should, no problem, understood.

I don't know how difficult it would have been to have a 50m pool - not very I wouldn't think.

I can't say I particularly like the chosen design, I'm not sure anyone actually likes it do they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here