Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kilimanjaro... Big red Nose Climb...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All nine Comic Relief celebrity climbers have reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro after an agonising slog.

Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole was among the first of the team to summit the 19,300 foot (5,900m) peak at the end of a six-hour trek described as "hell on earth".

Battling oxygen levels half of those at sea level and temperatures of minus 15 degrees (5F), the exhausted pop star was joined by presenter Fearne Cotton, performer Denise Van Outen and GMTV host Ben Shephard as dawn broke.

" The Comic Relief blog said of the moment: "At the summit, God knows how. Ben, Fearne, Denise and Cheryl make it just as the sun comes up. Amazing."

They were followed to the top of the highest point in Africa by Cole's band mate Kimberley Walsh, singer Ronan Keating and Take That star Gary Barlow - all three of whom were said to be "in agony".

Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles also made it up, trailed in by pop star Alesha Dixon, who apparently crashed through the pain barrier to reach the summit.

She was said to be in "severe pain" at the back of the group, but refused to stop.

Descriptions of the gruelling trek to the top of the Tanzanian peak ranged from "hell on earth" to "agony" to "horrific". "

Yes, 8 Micro celebs and one fatter non celeb ( Moyles ) have conquered the Infamous peak. The team of 9 intrepid adventurers, supported only by local guides and bearers, the BBC film crew, medical team and publicity agency staff bravely battled Ants, sunshine and doubts to stand victorious. Forced to carry their own ego's up to the summit , some 12,000 feet less than Everest, they forged their way to the top despite enforced rest stops in the advance tented villages created by the bearers who were climbing in flip flops and fake Man Utd. shirts a day in advance.

The costs of insurance,travel, hotel bills wages for crew and porters and expense accounts funded by the BBC (Licence fee payers) have almost been surpassed by the profiles, ego's and some money raised in this venture.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
After Kilimanjaro I've got something else Cheryl Cole might like to mount..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Cheryl cole does it for me....
She is OUT of this world downside is that she is with cashley cole
cheryl_cole_1.0.0.0x0.432x605.jpeg

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
""The team of 9 intrepid adventurers, supported only by local guides and bearers, the BBC film crew, medical team and publicity agency staff bravely battled Ants, sunshine ..""

Sunshine AND ants, brave lot !!!

Kilimanjaro is just a long walk

I take it you haven't done it then? It's not as hard as the 'celebs' are making out but it certainly a simple walk. Remember, the year after his succesful ascent of Everest Hilary failed on Kili due to altitude sickness.

When I climbed Kili some aussies had to be rushed down when they were within 400 yards of the summit, without summiting, because of altitude sickness.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fair play to them and it also helps lives, thought it was entertaining and also a good thing to do for charity.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fair play to them and it also helps lives, thought it was entertaining and also a good thing to do for charity.

they could have left Moyles up there and that would have been a lot more charitable for everyone

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
they could have left Moyles up there and that would have been a lot more charitable for everyone

True, never really been a great fan of him

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I take it you haven't done it then? It's not as hard as the 'celebs' are making out but it certainly a simple walk. Remember, the year after his succesful ascent of Everest Hilary failed on Kili due to altitude sickness.

When I climbed Kili some aussies had to be rushed down when they were within 400 yards of the summit, without summiting, because of altitude sickness.

Quite..
As Ronan showed, being fit/healthy is no pre-curser to easily making Kili or not getting Altitude sickness.

BTW - Those porters were the same ones i had, bloody great. Shame they didn't show the scree running on the way down - best bit.

RS - take a SC scarf up with ya ?

kili2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Remember, the year after his succesful ascent of Everest Hilary failed on Kili due to altitude sickness.

Which is half the point. Altitude Sickness (AMS) is a complete lottery. No amount of fitness, training or celebrity knob-headedness will either make you more prone of less prone to it. You never know who its going to strike. The only protection is acclimatisation.

In this case the celebs were lucky, nothing more.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The costs of insurance,travel, hotel bills wages for crew and porters and expense accounts funded by the BBC (Licence fee payers) have almost been surpassed by the profiles, ego's and some money raised in this venture.

Funded mainly by BT actualy you nasty little man.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Funded mainly by BT actualy you nasty little man.

Well I'd rather have seen several members of that party doing Comic Relief toilet and street cleaning then BT could have put their sponsorship money straight into the fund.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here