Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall **Singed for Chelsea 02/07/2024**

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
As the deal wasn’t done yesterday, does that mean Leicester are going to get a further points deduction?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As the deal wasn’t down yesterday, does that mean Leicester are going to get a further points deduction?
It may well have been done - and very probably was - just not announced yet.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This academy player merry go round with Chelsea, Villa, Everton and now Leicester is disgraceful. A massive loophole that needs closing down.
Agreed

In theory this should eventually run out, as teams need to sell academy graduates every season to pay off the amortisation of a player purchased in year 1.

However the rules are being changed, which may prevent these particular chickens from coming hoe to roost.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Great stuff!! The only caveat I would add is that - on the evidence of my own eyes, in many, many games - RDZ had us playing the most exciting, innovative football for the past 50 years (and no doubt in our entire history). Lots else to pick apart in your assessment, but I’ll leave that for now….
I agree with you.
When Potter departed to Chelsea I was very deflated, even though on occasions he had the team playing pragmatic, soulless football that would have given Hughton's Premier League tactics a run for their money.
De Zerbi's football was the most exciting I've ever seen produced from a Brighton team, and with a fit March and Mitoma I think he would have taken us back into Europe.
And if De Zerbi did set the team up in Rome as if they were going out to play Bognor Regis Town it just goes to show that RDZ is aware of the team Robbie Blake is putting together at the Nye Camp.
I hope RDZ sets Ligue1 on fire with Marseille and prevents Qatar's PSG from shitting on everyone as usual.

#COYR #GOSBTS

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Great stuff!! The only caveat I would add is that - on the evidence of my own eyes, in many, many games - RDZ had us playing the most exciting, innovative football for the past 50 years (and no doubt in our entire history). Lots else to pick apart in your assessment, but I’ll leave that for now….
RDZ had the team play 1990s football with players locked into their roles and position. The reason why his tactics were perceived as "innovative" is because no one has seen them since Arsene Wenger turned up in 1996 and said "you can't do it like that".

Opponents were not used to facing this kind of football. Pre-determined passing patterns and players locked into their roles and positions was back to the old Hodgson system football, although with some additional flair.

Once teams saw "ok, so these are the patterns and this is where their players are going to be", the fun ended rather quickly, and it was a stern reminder why obsolete football won't work for any prolonged period in top football. Once teams stopped using their full backs to support midfield pressure, the space on the wings were gone and there was NOTHING left but hoping that Mitoma could repeatedly beat his full back.

And if we need Mitoma or any other single individual world class player in order to perform decent PL results, we're in big trouble. Hopefully Hurzeler is a better tactical (and strategical) manager because we need IDEAS and STYLE, not a bazillion new crazy good footballers because we already have plenty waiting to dominate in a style of football where players are allowed to be creative and independent.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
RDZ had the team play 1990s football with players locked into their roles and position. The reason why his tactics were perceived as "innovative" is because no one has seen them since Arsene Wenger turned up in 1996 and said "you can't do it like that".
Some other people saw it differently:

"I had the feeling when he arrived the impact he would have in the Premier League would be great - I didn't expect him to do it in this short space of time. There is no team playing the way they play... If you don’t play at a high level, he can do whatever he wants against you... They completely deserve the compliments and the success that they have. It’s one of the teams that I try to learn a lot from, it’s unique.... One of the most influential managers in the last 20 years."

“I told De Zerbi to keep turning the football world upside down...I will watch it from some distance. I respect so much what he’s doing....It is incredible what he has done. Brighton have lost Alexis Mac Allister and Moises Caicedo, they have lots of injuries, but he puts a team like that together. An incredible job.”

Never mind though, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp probably don't have your unique insight and tactical knowledge.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Some other people saw it differently:

"I had the feeling when he arrived the impact he would have in the Premier League would be great - I didn't expect him to do it in this short space of time. There is no team playing the way they play... If you don’t play at a high level, he can do whatever he wants against you... They completely deserve the compliments and the success that they have. It’s one of the teams that I try to learn a lot from, it’s unique.... One of the most influential managers in the last 20 years."

“I told De Zerbi to keep turning the football world upside down...I will watch it from some distance. I respect so much what he’s doing....It is incredible what he has done. Brighton have lost Alexis Mac Allister and Moises Caicedo, they have lots of injuries, but he puts a team like that together. An incredible job.”

Never mind though, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp probably don't have your unique insight and tactical knowledge.
I didn't care all that much when Guardiola and Klopp were handing out free blowjobs to Graham Potter and I CERTAINLY won't read much into it when they did it with RDZ. According to Klopp and Guardiola, every manager they face are Gods gift to football.

However, nothing in the quote really changes what I've said. De Zerbi came with a slightly modernized version of obsolete system football and it was "new" until people noticed the weaknesses. First the tactical managers like Sean Dyche, and not much later the inspirational managers like Klopp and Pep. Once it was noticed that RDZs style actually wasn't "new", it was "the old one that was rightfully abandoned after Barca flogged United in the CL", it didn't take long for results - and those fine words - to deteoriate.

Pep and Klopp were humble about an upcoming opponent. If you want some honest words of wisdom, listen to mr Ancelotti:
"To try and have one identity for your team is a limit. We played a game in the Champions League against Shakhtar Donetsk. Very good team, Roberto De Zerbi was their coach. What he was doing with full backs, and different positions, really good. But I said to my players, they want you to press. Don’t press. If you press they will pass the ball around you. Don’t press, and they will give the ball to you. We didn’t press – and we won 5-0.”

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I didn't care all that much when Guardiola and Klopp were handing out free blowjobs to Graham Potter and I CERTAINLY won't read much into it when they did it with RDZ. According to Klopp and Guardiola, every manager they face are Gods gift to football.

However, nothing in the quote really changes what I've said. De Zerbi came with a slightly modernized version of obsolete system football and it was "new" until people noticed the weaknesses. First the tactical managers like Sean Dyche, and not much later the inspirational managers like Klopp and Pep. Once it was noticed that RDZs style actually wasn't "new", it was "the old one that was rightfully abandoned after Barca flogged United in the CL", it didn't take long for results - and those fine words - to deteoriate.

Pep and Klopp were humble about an upcoming opponent. If you want some honest words of wisdom, listen to mr Ancelotti:
"To try and have one identity for your team is a limit. We played a game in the Champions League against Shakhtar Donetsk. Very good team, Roberto De Zerbi was their coach. What he was doing with full backs, and different positions, really good. But I said to my players, they want you to press. Don’t press. If you press they will pass the ball around you. Don’t press, and they will give the ball to you. We didn’t press – and we won 5-0.”
You were not on here when De Zerbi took us to our highest ever finish, nor when we topped our group in Europe. Yet things go wrong and you ride back into town to reinterpret everything that we lived through.

We liked Graham Potter when he was our manager. We really did. We didn't want him to go. It wasn't our fault that he did, nor that Chelsea was a disaster, nor that De Zerbi arrived and made us better. However, because he did, we liked De Zerbi too. He's now gone too and the usual form applies: We're done with the things we liked in the past and are concentrating on the thing that we have always, and will always love: Brighton & Hove Albion. We're not concerned by what has passed. We all sincerely hope that Hurzeler is better than De Zerbi. We know from what we've experienced, that it'll be a hell of a high bar.

We all get hung up on things, but please try to understand that your constant revisionist attacks on De Zerbi are of interest mainly to you. By all means write them down, but then keep them to yourself or head to Marseille's board and share them there. Without wishing to offend, it was our lived experience and very few of us care what you thought, from another country, months later. We were in the ground. We watched the football. At it's peak, it was by a country mile, the best football we've ever seen our beloved club play. Yes, we all knew that RDZ was an arrogant ideolog and we knew it would probably end in tears, because we had already had the same experience, at a lower level, with Gus Poyet. However, we enjoyed some performances beyond our wildest dreams, and in the Chelsea and Marseille games, some of the best atmospheres we've ever had at home games. We lived and breathed it. We were moved by it. I suspect that I was not the only person in the ground wiping away a few tears on the final whistle against Marseille. Our tiny club actually experienced one of those European nights that we'd been watching the big boys have on telly for decades! No dry, tactical analysis can possibly compete with our lived experience.

If you want to support Brighton, then by all means do so. Even better, travel over and do it. Love should be shared and everyone is welcome if they want to ride this train. Please stop endlessly finding fault with the last driver. We know very well what you think and finding a hundred different ways to argue it is not going to make anyone else care. We're travelling on down the line with a new driver and both Potter and RDZ got off at stations somewhere behind us.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Even Chelsea fans don't seem impressed by this signing according to many comments on their message boards - along the line of 'why do we need another midfielder, and what a waste of money on a reserve!'.
It does look a very strange signing. If Winstanley had suggested this deal when Abramovich was in charge he would have been sent to a Siberian gulag.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm happy with how this has panned out.

KDH a decent player but if we had to spend £30m i'd rather Minteh than a player who would have no real resale potential and who was god awful every time i've seen him play live

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm happy with how this has panned out.

KDH a decent player but if we had to spend £30m i'd rather Minteh than a player who would have no real resale potential and who was god awful every time i've seen him play live
All arrows do point towards he’s a good championship player and not much else.
Of course I may be wrong.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This academy player merry go round with Chelsea, Villa, Everton and now Leicester is disgraceful. A massive loophole that needs closing down.
Playing devil's advocate,

You could argue it's EXCELLENT for the game. Clubs now have even more incentives to get young homegrown players out there into their team and noticed. Sure, it's to then cash in on them but no one is buying them if they are rubbish. The upside, young player gets football sooner and move to clubs who have invested in buying them so they get played.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All arrows do point towards he’s a good championship player and not much else.
Of course I may be wrong.
I agree, there's not enough evidence that he's a top half PL player for us to part with £30m, which we'll never get back

Let's carry on doing what we do and unearth potential instead

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Yes please, I hope Hürzy can deliver it! We didn't see that earlier this year, it was quite boring actually.
Yeah I hope so too.

And I think it will be the case...
You were not on here when De Zerbi took us to our highest ever finish, nor when we topped our group in Europe. Yet things go wrong and you ride back into town to reinterpret everything that we lived through.

We liked Graham Potter when he was our manager. We really did. We didn't want him to go. It wasn't our fault that he did, nor that Chelsea was a disaster, nor that De Zerbi arrived and made us better. However, because he did, we liked De Zerbi too. He's now gone too and the usual form applies: We're done with the things we liked in the past and are concentrating on the thing that we have always, and will always love: Brighton & Hove Albion. We're not concerned by what has passed. We all sincerely hope that Hurzeler is better than De Zerbi. We know from what we've experienced, that it'll be a hell of a high bar.

We all get hung up on things, but please try to understand that your constant revisionist attacks on De Zerbi are of interest mainly to you. By all means write them down, but then keep them to yourself or head to Marseille's board and share them there. Without wishing to offend, it was our lived experience and very few of us care what you thought, from another country, months later. We were in the ground. We watched the football. At it's peak, it was by a country mile, the best football we've ever seen our beloved club play. Yes, we all knew that RDZ was an arrogant ideolog and we knew it would probably end in tears, because we had already had the same experience, at a lower level, with Gus Poyet. However, we enjoyed some performances beyond our wildest dreams, and in the Chelsea and Marseille games, some of the best atmospheres we've ever had at home games. We lived and breathed it. We were moved by it. I suspect that I was not the only person in the ground wiping away a few tears on the final whistle against Marseille. Our tiny club actually experienced one of those European nights that we'd been watching the big boys have on telly for decades! No dry, tactical analysis can possibly compete with our lived experience.

If you want to support Brighton, then by all means do so. Even better, travel over and do it. Love should be shared and everyone is welcome if they want to ride this train. Please stop endlessly finding fault with the last driver. We know very well what you think and finding a hundred different ways to argue it is not going to make anyone else care. We're travelling on down the line with a new driver and both Potter and RDZ got off at stations somewhere behind us.
Ride back into town... I watched the Albion play at least 50 hours of utterly unwatchable football last season.

The "revisionist attacks" on De Zerbi, bit like the revisionist attacks on Potter, are what they are. It fits your agenda to pretend that I'm the only one talking about the last season and our personell. It of course has no basis in reality; its merely you trying to win some cheap points.

There are dozens (most likely much more) ACTIVE members in here that don't go to games because of various reasons:

1. They live in exile.
2. They are too old.
3. They are foreign.
4. They aren't rich enough

You may not give a shit about what they think or feel about Albion, but personally I take any post made by someone like AZ Gull or Bakero over the dross junior or GB is feeding me with. Each to their own.

As for you advice that I should shut up because you don't care about my opinions. Well, you go first then, because I really don't care all that much about your opinions either. :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Playing devil's advocate,

You could argue it's EXCELLENT for the game. Clubs now have even more incentives to get young homegrown players out there into their team and noticed. Sure, it's to then cash in on them but no one is buying them if they are rubbish. The upside, young player gets football sooner and move to clubs who have invested in buying them so they get played.
And taking this further, it reduces the incentive to have a team who relies on high wage "proven" players. You need to get players in the team you can sell instead.

Trouble is though, more clubs will be coming fishing in our lovely little ponds

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011

Tl;dr - are bottle tops going to be allowed next season or not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here