Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Kids missing GCSE grades

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I did Julius Caesar for a year at O level English Lit. Went into the exam hall in June and the questions were all on Midsummer
Night's Dream. I failed.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
@Berty23 Sorry to give you PTSD on this one but any idea what the exam board was? Someone at work coming out with an almost identical story to yours.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
@Berty23 Sorry to give you PTSD on this one but any idea what the exam board was? Someone at work coming out with an almost identical story to yours.
Did their kid get marked up, because the last two pages of their shit effort was accidentally replaced with the missing pages of Berty's lads answers?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Did their kid get marked up, because the last two pages of their shit effort was accidentally replaced with the missing pages of Berty's lads answers?

There must be a lucky kid somewhere who spent his English exam scratching his arse wondering how on earth he got a 6.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is nuts isn’t it. If I was not breaking some data protection rules I would put an example of a page of their writing on here. The kid who got the higher mark will be a hero in their house. There is no chance they would have expected it!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Update time.

AQA have decided they can’t find his lost paper so they are giving him a grade 5 based on paper 1. Throughout the whole process he has been far better at paper 2 and school have also said this. So now we are kicking off with AQA saying it is unacceptable to punish him for their error.

They provided no explanation of how it happened, no explanation of how they will stop it in future and all we got by means of an apology was “here is your grade. We apologise for the error”. Absolutely no acknowledgement of what they put him through. He is lucky that as parents our reaction was “ we will get through this” whereas some parents would have handed out a beating for a fail etc. Their tone in the whole email is weird and basically makes out we should thank them for them being prepared to award him a pass rather than the fail they originally gave him.

School have kicked off and I have sent school an email expressing our annoyance so I wonder if AQA will actually respond and listen to school.

In the meantime I will dust off the fountain pen and get ready to write a very snotty letter.

My lad still wants to go to the media. There has already been a big story in the guardian about English AQA but that was about remarks. They would love this.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Really interesting to read this thread for the first time, and quite unbelievable. We've paid for 3 of my daughter's papers to be remarked - Maths, Geography and English - she was 1-2 points off a higher grade in all three. For Art she was predicted a 6 and only got a 3, the school has asked for all student work to be reviewed as not one student got over a 4 and their Art teacher is a GCSE moderator himself! It's all a bit late though, tears have been shed and she's not where she wanted to be. It's quite staggering how much of a negative impact this has had on home life.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Update time.

AQA have decided they can’t find his lost paper so they are giving him a grade 5 based on paper 1. Throughout the whole process he has been far better at paper 2 and school have also said this. So now we are kicking off with AQA saying it is unacceptable to punish him for their error.

They provided no explanation of how it happened, no explanation of how they will stop it in future and all we got by means of an apology was “here is your grade. We apologise for the error”. Absolutely no acknowledgement of what they put him through. He is lucky that as parents our reaction was “ we will get through this” whereas some parents would have handed out a beating for a fail etc. Their tone in the whole email is weird and basically makes out we should thank them for them being prepared to award him a pass rather than the fail they originally gave him.

School have kicked off and I have sent school an email expressing our annoyance so I wonder if AQA will actually respond and listen to school.

In the meantime I will dust off the fountain pen and get ready to write a very snotty letter.

My lad still wants to go to the media. There has already been a big story in the guardian about English AQA but that was about remarks. They would love this.
Shit can happen, but not being able to find the actual paper is probably down to, can't be arsed to put the time in to find the actual paper.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Really interesting to read this thread for the first time, and quite unbelievable. We've paid for 3 of my daughter's papers to be remarked - Maths, Geography and English - she was 1-2 points off a higher grade in all three. For Art she was predicted a 6 and only got a 3, the school has asked for all student work to be reviewed as not one student got over a 4 and their Art teacher is a GCSE moderator himself! It's all a bit late though, tears have been shed and she's not where she wanted to be. It's quite staggering how much of a negative impact this has had on home life.
It sucks. You hear stories of exams being marked by teachers earning extra cash during the summer. Half paying attention. Little thought given to the actual people on the end of it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It sucks. You hear stories of exams being marked by teachers earning extra cash during the summer. Half paying attention. Little thought given to the actual people on the end of it.
My wife does this. The teacher's marking papers are under constant scrutiny which is dependent upon a very high level of 'correct' marking. If a teacher's level of accuracy strays too low on a question, they are locked out of it and it is re-marked by another examiner. If they continue with other questions in the same vein, they are not able to continue marking. Mistakes happen though, it is evident you are caught up in one and my sympathies are fully with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here