Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kids in Dick's (and not the other way round) pre-match of late?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How's it been recently - have kids been permitted into Dick's pre-match?

Anyone seen any of the little blighters in there recently?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
my lad of 14 has got in,but he looks older,havent seen any younguns tbh

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
This is my biggest bugbear about the Amex actually.

My 12 year old is a sth like myself, and if you cut his legs in half, they're blue and white stripes.

He's been to eight away games ( not shabby for someone so young ).

His new shirt is an adult small, due to the marketing, but still costs the same as you lot of massive buggers out there.

It's matchday, and I fancy having a couple of pints with a few mates in Dick's, but because my son is 12, we're not welcome.

He's 12 ffs, he goes to High school now. He'll have a coke and a pie, so therefore spending on my card.

It's not as if he's going to sit in the corner crapping his nappies.

My son is part of the match day for me.

But the crux is, he's not welcome in Dick's bar, which therefore makes me not welcome.

Community stadium my bloody arse.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

My 12 year old is a sth like myself, and if you cut his legs in half, they're blue and white stripes.

His new shirt is an adult small, due to the marketing, but still costs the same as you lot of massive buggers out there.

It's matchday, and I fancy having a couple of pints with a few mates in Dick's, but because my son is 12, we're not welcome.

He's 12 ffs, he goes to High school now. He'll have a coke and a pie, so therefore spending on my card.

But the crux is, he's not welcome in Dick's bar, which therefore makes me not welcome.

Community stadium my bloody arse.

I feel the same. I assumed common sense had prevailed with kids in there for the first game or two, but I've not been back since.

I really don't see the problem, but we've been round this particular block before.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Correct, and rightly so.

Gullys Gang is for youngsters, Dicks Bar is for adults.

I so not suggest your boy would be suited to Gully's, but you could just take him over the road to The Swan?

Why can't adults be allowed their own space? :shrug:

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I think we're missing the important question here.

Why are you cutting your son's legs in half?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Correct, and rightly so.

Gullys Gang is for youngsters, Dicks Bar is for adults.

I so not suggest your boy would be suited to Gully's, but you could just take him over the road to The Swan?

Why can't adults be allowed their own space? :shrug:

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

I understand where you're coming from Woody.

My point is that it's a community stadium.

He is a supporter every bit as much as you and I.

May I suggest that if adults can't have well behaved 12 year old BHA supporters in their midst that they may choose the Swan instead, as opposed to the BHA supporter's bar, which is part of a community stadium.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can see where the club are coming from on this though. Dicks's is quite a limited capacity (abeit recently explanded by a hundred or so), but there are always queues to get in, and with the best will in the world a bar isn't really a place for kids to hang out while the old man has a few pre-match jars. There are still the concourses where kids can be fed and watered while the adults have a few beers, so I don't see it as a "bad thing" to have one child-free zone in the stadium where those without young kids can go.

Hardly a sacrifice is it.

I wouldn't be overly chuffed at standing in the queue to get in, whilst dozens of kids are in front of me with parents who insist on taking them in there early doors on matchday instead of going to the concourse. I doubt half the kids would even want to be there 2 hours before kickoff.

Every time I've been in Dick's Bar, it has always struck me as being the sort of place where a young child could happily be let in. And I'm not a great fan of kids in bars. Dick's, though, is much more of a lounge than a bar.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll add here that my 16 year old has his book of travel vouchers and chooses to make his own way on matchday, because he'd rather be playing FIFA with his mates than coming with me and getting to the Amex at 1pm to meet up with my matchday mob for a pre-match beer. I see him on the concourse when he arrives, usually at 2.30 ish armed with a Pepsi Max and a chicken pie before we go to our seats.

I appreciate thats not an option for those with kids too young to make their own way, but in time they'll be able to do the same.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Every time I've been in Dick's Bar, it has always struck me as being the sort of place where a young child could happily be let in. And I'm not a great fan of kids in bars. Dick's, though, is much more of a lounge than a bar.

Sure its not like some kind of unpleasant backstreet dive. Perfectly safe and pleasant for kids, and if Dick's was MASSIVE then perhaps it wouldn't be quite such an issue. But space there IS very limited, demand is high, only the few are lucky enough to get seated, so those with young-uns might as well go to the concourses anyway and leave more space for the adults to meet up and congregate.

In my opinion.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I was I.D'd to get in not long ago so I don't think so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here