Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Muscat tackle earns 8 game ban

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Muscat all but finished after eight-match ban

(for video of the tackle follow the link)
KEVIN MUSCAT'S A-League career is almost certainly over after the FFA last night imposed an eight-match ban for his two-footed tackle on Adrian Zahra in last week's derby against the Heart.

An FFA judicial disciplinary committee found Muscat guilty of gross recklessness. The panel took into account his poor history, in which Muscat has previously ended one player's career, inflicted long-term injuries on two other opponents, received 12 red cards and 95 yellow cards.

“We believe a lengthy suspension is justified and necessary, both as a deterrent to the player and to signal to the other players in the A-League that such conduct will not be tolerated,” said disciplinary committee chairman Lachlan Gyles SC.

The FFA took into account Muscat's public apology, but found that, irrespective of intent, the degree of recklessness showed a complete disregard for Adrian Zahra's safety.

"The committee was told during the hearing that the player had made the best part of 600 appearances as a defender ... In these circumstances, the player should have appreciated the serious risk of injury brought about by the manner of the tackle,” said Gyles.

The eight-match suspension is the second largest handed out by the FFA, and one of the largest for a dangerous tackle in world football. While Muscat reiterated his regret, he said he would not appeal the verdict. “I was prepared to accept whatever ban came my way," he said.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Absolutely shocking. The man is a nasty piece of work and tackles like that do not belong in football, even if it is in Australia!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
muscat always has been a very hard player , not always fair it has to be said..........a tackle like that on a lad at the start of his career is woeful im afraid..........:wanker:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
First replay shows him going for the ball with a big swipe and missing.Nothing to bad in my books. 2nd replay makes it a lot worse.

I've seen far worse two footed challenges with studs showing baring down on a leg.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
All we need is Tony Pulis to come out and say "he's not that kind if player"...

Horrid tackle but I have bizarrely seen a lot worse.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
muscat always has been a very hard player , not always fair it has to be said..........a tackle like that on a lad at the start of his career is woeful im afraid..........:wanker:

"not always fair" would be one way to describe Muscat. A vicious bastard would be another.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Could do a job?!?!

:joker:

muscat has been brilliant for Melbourne Victory since the start of the a league 6 years ago. He has lifted more trophies than any other cAptain in the league.
Having watched him for those 6 seasons he is a player who gives everything on the pitch. He is very talented with great touch and ability to pick and execute a pass. He also plays very close to "the line".
I have seen him get away with so much that you have to accept this ban as one of those things. A bit of payback I suppose.
Oh well, he'll be available for the Asian champions league and I just got back from watching Victory beat Gold Coast 2-0 without him, so I think we'll be ok.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
No surprise that this thug has struck again - his career has been built on making such challenges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here