Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Blackwell on Brighton - from Leeds' official website

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
"They have something of a bogey side for us since we came out of the Premiership and both myself and the players are aware that this is going to be a very difficult game.

"They will work their socks off and they get fired up for our visit. Mark McGhee won't have to motivate them at all.

"We played particularly well against Brighton at Elland Road this season but found ourselves 2-0 down, and that was one of the games where we could have been out of sight ten minutes into the game. We hit the bar a few times and nothing would fall for us at first and we eventually rescued a point through Jonathan Douglas but we should have got more.

"So there's a lot of frustration from that game, but we have come a long way in a short time and hopefully it will be different this time."

Blackwell, demonstrating his knowledge of the opposition, is certainly not taking Brighton lightly.

"They have the likes of Seb Carroll who is a decent player, Frutos is a different player, Carpenter and Hammond are always a handful in midfield because they never give up and they have players who can do a solid job for them.

"Guy Butters never seems to be found wanting and people say he hasn't got the legs, but believe me nearly every week he's performed solidly and with young McShane alongside him with athleticism, and Guy pulling him through at a crucial stage of his career, they have a decent central pairing and have not conceded lots of goals.

"It's not a great stadium but their fans are vociferous and we have to make sure we're up to it."

Interesting comments, except I don't know who Seb Carroll is, and.......

fans... "vociferous".....at Withdean........!!!!!!

But give him credit - he seems to know his stuff.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
At least he his not saying that they should be beating teams like us. Well not as openly as others have.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Vociferous? I didn't know that meant quiet.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Selly Oak Seagull said:
[B
fans... "vociferous".....at Withdean........!!!!!!

But give him credit - he seems to know his stuff. [/B]

That's what the other fans are saying on other football forums. Withdean has got the reputation as a noisy place mainly because of the A-l-b-i-o-n chant. Comments like "ringing in my eyes" half an hour after the match has ended.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
dougdeep said:
Vociferous? I didn't know that meant quiet.
He's obviously basing his judgement on our visit to Elland Road earlier this season

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Selly Oak Seagull said:

But give him credit - he seems to know his stuff.

He probably got it all off here. Did he say anything about being glad to see the back of that diving little shit?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Leeds have the reputation as the loudest away support.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They were dead quiet last season.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That's definately a trap. He's trying to lead us into a false sense of security, but as soon as we let out guard down WHAM, we won't know what hit us. VC gooks tried the same thing when I was in Nam, we nearly lost the whole platoon. I managed to get out alive, but it took me three days to reach the rally point, man that was some thick jungle out there.
You're good blackwell, but you won't fool us that easily.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
He was not that complimentary in this report

The facilities at Brighton's temporary home are comfortably the worst in the Championship with scaffolding supporting a couple of stands, the drab surroundings merely adding to the despondency felt by the Leeds fans in a capacity crowd of 6,716.
Fast forward less than 15 months, however, and United travel to the south coast in third place with Blackwell forecasting a very different performance from his new-look side.
The Leeds manager said: "The Withdean Stadium is a tough place to go to – I am sure it is the finishing school for scaffolders, it must be the place they go to hone their skills.
"We went down there last season and, in my opinion, it was one of the defining moments in Leeds United's history.

the bit about scaffolder made me laugh :lolol: :lolol:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Scaffold

The Scaffold Lily The Pink LYRICS index

We'll drink a drink a drink
To Lily the Pink the Pink the Pink
The saviour of the human race
For she invented medicinal compound
Most efficacious in every case.

Mr. Frears
had sticky-out ears
and it made him awful shy
and so they gave him medicinal compound
and now he's learning how to fly.

Brother Tony
Was notably bony
He would never eat his meals
And so they gave him medicinal compound
Now they move him round on wheels.

Old Ebeneezer
Thought he was Julius Caesar
And so they put him in a Home
where they gave him medicinal compound
and now he's Emperor of Rome.

Johnny Hammer
Had a terrible stammer
He could hardly say a word
And so they gave him medicinal compound
Now he's seen (but never heard)!

Auntie Millie
Ran willy-nilly
When her legs, they did recede
And so they rubbed on medicinal compound
And now they call her Millipede.

Jennifer Eccles
had terrible freckles
and the boys all called her names
but she changed with medicinal compound
and now he joins in all their games.

Lily the Pink, she
Turned to drink, she
Filled up with paraffin inside
and despite her medicinal compound
Sadly Picca-Lily died.

Up to Heaven
Her soul ascended
All the church bells they did ring
She took with her medicinal compound
Hark the herald angels sing.

Oooooooooooooooo Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'll drink a drink a drink

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Normandy seagull said:
He was not that complimentary in this report

The facilities at Brighton's temporary home are comfortably the worst in the Championship with scaffolding supporting a couple of stands, the drab surroundings merely adding to the despondency felt by the Leeds fans in a capacity crowd of 6,716.
Fast forward less than 15 months, however, and United travel to the south coast in third place with Blackwell forecasting a very different performance from his new-look side.
The Leeds manager said: "The Withdean Stadium is a tough place to go to – I am sure it is the finishing school for scaffolders, it must be the place they go to hone their skills.
"We went down there last season and, in my opinion, it was one of the defining moments in Leeds United's history.

the bit about scaffolder made me laugh :lolol: :lolol:

Slightly confused by that last setence tho. I mean whats that supposed to mean? They have been to champs league semi final played in the prem but he picks Leeds attending Withdean as one of the defining moments in their history! Im sure people will tell their gran children that they went to the Withdean!

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Blackwell seems to know what he is talking about. He also knows a lot about our team. I wonder if he's been talking to a certain Mr Harding? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here