Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kerry Mayoq

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
also agree hinsh on right watto on left. mayo is loyal to the club, but thats it. never been very impressed with him. positional sense not too good and distribution poor. but even i had to say he was our weak link in defence last season and even season b4 when we won 2nd division. its not nice to say of such a loyal player but we have to face the truth if we are to move on. nobody would have said he was a good player when we were struggling at the basement of division 3. things will come good again, we have to start respecting other teams in this division. just because we won it last time we were in it does not mean we are gonna win it again. would be nice though.

ojalbion

Jul 7, 2003
agree with a previous post that it is the central midfield area that is letting us down, putting pressure on the rest of the team

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I haven't been to the games this season so can't comment on the players form, but what I do know is that Mayo was at fault for their goal. He want rushing into a cross field ball and once he'd missed it, their right midfielder was able to walk the ball virtually to the corner of our 6 yard box before sliding in the match winning cross.

You've got to say that our midfield and strikers are bollocks at the moment. Three games, no goals. Not good enough.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I have no idea why, but it has been a trait of Mayo’s over roughly the last four years where his season only seems to start at Christmas and after that he really starts to put in the decent performances.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Agreed Simster. I think the reason we're not scoring goals isn't due to our forwards - Knight is quality, McPhee is showing great signs, although it can't help his confidence when he has to lead the line as the player responsible for holding up the ball once it's been punted 60 yards up to him. He does it well most of the time, but it's the style we're playing - the lump from the back, MISSING out our midfield entirely, means that we're gonna give away possession more than we should. Once the forwards have received the ball from our defence, there's no one pushing up in support. Consequently, the forwards get hemmed in / tackled without having any options. Simply, there's too much thoughtless passing from the back / lack of movement and support from the midfield. When we do keep the ball on the floor, pass it around and keep possession, we look like we will create chances. Knocking long balls up for Knight and McPhee to head down is hindering us completely.

Rubbertoe

Aug 25, 2003
mitch said:
why don't you losers ever back your players instead of always slating them.

brighton supporters? i wonder sometimes always critcising,very easy when you can't play the game.
sat on your arses moaning not knowing a good play from a bad pass you ain't supporters.

hang your heads in shame

I think my point was that Kerry Mayo is looking increasingly overweight and is not playing to what he is capable of, he needs to sort himself out - after all he is a professional footballer.

The left side of midfield/defence has been our weak side this season - how about spending some of the £200k + compensation money on bringing someone decent in?

where to start with yesterdays performance. Unfortunately kerry was at fault for the goal and he did not have a good game all afternoon. It's not disloyal to point that out, the team as a whole mcphee and knight excluded were dreadful but even so, without Kerry's error we would have got a barely deserved point.

However more worrying for me was the midfield performance. Why do the middle four line up just 10 yards in front of the back four? They must put 20 or 30 yards between themselves and the front two, who are just left on their own, with no support. This is just not on. Instead of hoofing the ball up we need someone in the middle of the park who can put their foot on the ball and bring it out. They can then pass the ball to knight or mcphee and provide quick support if needed. This is the big problem facing the side at the moment as I feel Knight has proved himself a good finisher and tormentor of defences (when given the chance), and for the most part the defence has played well this season (before this week anyway). The midfield continues to disappoint week in week out, they do not win the ball enough, the distribution is poor and the support to the front two is poor. Whoever comes in as manager is going to have to sort this out quickly otherwise our season may begin to drift.

We are fortunate that this is a lousy league so I expect us to remain in the upper echelons, but it would be nice for us to be up their on our own merits and not rely on the deficincies of others

Mayo wasn't the only bad player on that pitch yesterday. In fact, the only player who looked like they wanted to win was McPhee. He tried hard to win all balls, something that our defence and midfield weren't fussed on doing.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The problem with yesterdays performance boils down to a lack of shape and dicipline in the midfield which ended up costing us dear.

Yes, true Mayo was at fault for the first goal, but he is not helped by a non-existant midfied who get caught out very easily, and give the ball away in 'safe' situations with alarming regularity.
Jones was consistantly out of position and his challanging is piss poor, his 'roving' way of playing is no use to us because he simply is not good enough to play in that way, thus creating an awfull lot of work for the full backs when Stockport broke with alarming regularity.

It really is time for Jones to be dropped and I think anyone coming into the club will do that, he is also a destructive influence on Zesh, because Zesh doesnt know where the hell Jones is going to be from one minute to the end leaving him badly exposed on 5 or 6 occasions yesterday, and it was even worse on Tues night.
We have to remember that Zesh too is a very inexperienced player, playing for Fulham reserves is much removed from playing against old campaigners like Brentford and Stockport who punish you hard with their experience at this level.
If his fellow midfielders have no disipline then how can he be expected to be the midfield general with his experience?
He will be a great player one day, but he just doesnt have the leadership capabilities the others are landing him with just yet.
It needs an old head to control the midfield, which is where I personally think we are loosing it at the moment.

Chippy quite frankly has been not much more use than Jones, which is also disapointing, I am not sure if he is capable at this level any more.

On the plus side however I though McPhee was outstanding and has really worked hard on his first touch. I was appalled by some of the negative comments I heard around me yesterday as this is a lad who is doing extra training and is really giving it his all to become a first team regular.

The defense was relatively solid, but as already stated were given a lot to do by an inept midfield, and for me the problem lies squarely in getting in an experienced midfielder to steady the ship.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here