Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kerry Mayo

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I think he looks a better proposition at Left Back. This evening he didn't really look like he wanted the ball much, often going for a quick pass on instead of making any movement forward with the ball.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
disgruntled h blocker said:
I think he looks a better proposition at Left Back. This evening he didn't really look like he wanted the ball much, often going for a quick pass on instead of making any movement forward with the ball.
That wasn't strictly what he was there for. He was there as te defensive half of central midfield, a role he fulfilled quite well tonight.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
an albion legend who has played in a variety of positions which is an asset to any club

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Kerry Mayo aka Claude Makelele :bowdown:

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
was actually quite pleased with him tonight. i know from reading postings that he's been under pressure but based on the one game ive seen i felt he was fine. was more concerned about contribution of the lad fraser. the sub john should have started but hey, till i have been a few times its pretty irrlevant what i think :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kerry's corners were prety good last night and one of them led to the 1st goal. His pace or lack of it is not so important in midfield and i thought he had a pretty good game

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Icy Gull said:
Kerry's corners were prety good last night and one of them led to the 1st goal. His pace or lack of it is not so important in midfield and i thought he had a pretty good game

As they were against Swansea. That is one of his biggest attributes. I think 2 goals came from Kerrys corners (1 corner & 1 FK by the coener flag) against Swansea and also 2 other decent chances.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Kerry played very well yesterday. He seemed to be very composed and his passing was excellent. Let's hope for more of thte smae, becasue if he can play like that and Cox and Hammond can play like they did on Tuesday we're on to a good thing. :clap2:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He was distinctly average... El-Abd, another converted defender, is much better at the defensive central midfield role, IMHO... we lost copntrol of the 1st half, partly because he was virtually non-existent... did get better and better tho', and the corner was excellent...

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
B.W. said:
He was distinctly average... El-Abd, another converted defender, is much better at the defensive central midfield role, IMHO... we lost copntrol of the 1st half, partly because he was virtually non-existent... did get better and better tho', and the corner was excellent...

I think you were watching a different game to me then. I can't see how you can pick out Kerry as last night's problem in midfield. It was Cox who was distinctly average yesterday and Hammond (despite the goals) gave a shadow of Tuesday's night performace.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
DJ Leon said:
I think you were watching a different game to me then. I can't see how you can pick out Kerry as last night's problem in midfield. It was Cox who was distinctly average yesterday and Hammond (despite the goals) gave a shadow of Tuesday's night performace.

Agree Cox was poor (by his own high standards)... Hammond won the game, just in case you didn't notice...

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
B.W. said:
Agree Cox was poor (by his own high standards)... Hammond won the game, just in case you didn't notice...

I did notice that, which is why I mentioned it.

Mayo played well, certainly one of our best players last night. He would have to score a brace and run the show completely before anyone gave him any credit though. Apart, I might add, from the likes of Wilkins, McGhee, Coppell, Taylor, Adams etc etc who all seemed to rate him and consistently play him ahead of other players who the fans have been shouting for. Who is right I wonder?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
I think he looked pretty decent, the midfield role suits him better in my opinion. As he showed at Southampton last year where he played a good game in midfileld, and he again showed it last night. El Abd however, i dont think is a good midfielder.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Complete Badger said:
Mayo, along with most of our midfield was anonymous last night

the midfield was annonymous last night because we didn't actually use it, taking up cheltenhams tactics of hoofing the ball long seemignly at every oportunity

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here