Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenwyne Jones

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Of the two Stoke forwards available I'd prefer to go for Sidibe than Jones.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd prefer us to look at the Chelsea youngsters :)

Why? Their youth team doesn't produce many good players. In fact, I can't think of many players in the football league who came through their youth system. Mellis at Barnsley, Sinclair now at City... Others?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Why? Their youth team doesn't produce many good players. In fact, I can't think of many players in the football league who came through their youth system. Mellis at Barnsley, Sinclair now at City... Others?

You have heard of Liam Bridcutt I assume?

Fabio Borini was also a Chelsea youth product. Playing for Liveprool now.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Mellis was signed from Sheffield United and Sinclair from Bristol Rovers (both for around the £1m mark), so credit fopr their development lies elsewhere in the main I feel.

As for McEachran, their shining example, he's at a Championship club on loan and if he was as good as people say you'd have thought he'd be at Reading or Southampton at the bare minimum.

Don't get me wrong he's a very good player and I'd take him here, but Prem quality? He couldn't get into the Swansea's side and even if they were in mostly good form, they tired badly at the end of the season.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Mellis was signed from Sheffield United and Sinclair from Bristol Rovers (both for around the £1m mark), so credit fopr their development lies elsewhere in the main I feel.

As for McEachran, their shining example, he's at a Championship club on loan and if he was as good as people say you'd have thought he'd be at Reading or Southampton at the bare minimum.

Don't get me wrong he's a very good player and I'd take him here, but Prem quality? He couldn't get into the Swansea's side and even if they were in mostly good form, they tired badly at the end of the season.

Ryan Bertrand - better example than McEacheran

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Mellis was at Sheffield to age 16 - tough not to give Chelsea credit for his development in the last 5 years, especially as people are quick to apply the debit for his behaviour during that period. He is not on loan.

Sinclair was at Bristol until age 16 and again most of his key formative development (the bit from the age when most kids give up all hope of pro football through to first team breakthrough) was with Chelsea so credit due to them. If you also want to knock Sinclair as a quality player (1 goal every 4 games at Swansea) I'm guessing you are a closet Spurs fan who automatically knocks all things Chelsea?

I would agree that Chelsea are one of the most wasteful clubs when it comes to discarding young talent but there is a case to be made for every "big" club in that respect - a system that encourages them to dump young players from within in favour of foreign imports of "finished products" needs to be addresswed.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Mellis was at Sheffield to age 16 - tough not to give Chelsea credit for his development in the last 5 years, especially as people are quick to apply the debit for his behaviour during that period. He is not on loan.

Sinclair was at Bristol until age 16 and again most of his key formative development (the bit from the age when most kids give up all hope of pro football through to first team breakthrough) was with Chelsea so credit due to them. If you also want to knock Sinclair as a quality player (1 goal every 4 games at Swansea) I'm guessing you are a closet Spurs fan who automatically knocks all things Chelsea?

I would agree that Chelsea are one of the most wasteful clubs when it comes to discarding young talent but there is a case to be made for every "big" club in that respect - a system that encourages them to dump young players from within in favour of foreign imports of "finished products" needs to be addresswed.

I agree that Chelsea improved them but Mellis was only there for 3 years (one on loan) and Sinclair for 5 years (3 on loan). I just think that a truly quality youth systems grows its own talent rather that nicking other peoples.

As for the closet Spurs fan? I hate Spurs. I always have and always will. Are you a closet Chelsea fan? Plus, there's a very long thread in May berating Chelsea's Champions League win in which I was very complimentary of them.

The above is only my opinion, doesn't mean I'm either pro- or anti-Chelsea, I just have opinions about more than just Brighton. So there... :p

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Back on subject then.......

Think KJ was over-rated a couple of years ago but now probably under-rated and may well be a bit 'depressed'. I would think IF we could do a deal (think wages be issue) then he could get back on real top form with us. Doubt this will actually come off tho!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Definitely an option worth pursuing as meets Gus' striker with presence brief...

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Can't see it happening, but just imagine how terrified defenders would be seeing Kenwyne Jones and CMS bearing down on them, flanked by Vicente/Buckley/KLL/Barnes/Orlandi/Lopez and with Bridge and Bruno pushing on as well...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here