Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ken Livingstone is a disgrace.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Simster said:
Sorry twatty, what was Thatcher right about? From what I remember of time under Thatch, we had hunger strikes, constant IRA threats in London, tit-for-tat killings in Belfast and Londonderry virtually every other day, no police presence whatsoever in nationalist areas, unmarked police driving into a republican processions and then being executed, Harrods being bombed, hunger strikes etc. In contrast, Major opened a proper dialog - continued by Blair. The fanatics separated into the Real IRA who then committed a single appalling atrocity which has since completely alienated them and brought those fanatics to their knees.

So no, Thatcher was wrong.

Livingston is indeed opportunist at times, but talking to the IRA is not a good example of that, IMO. What is "opportunist" about speaking to the IRA?

Because he knew the government were talking to them anyway and thought he would make left wing political capital out of suggestion it. It would make him look right on' with his other leftie cronies plus give him loads and loads of publicity. His suggestions / intervention changed nothing and if anything would have made it more difficult for the Brtish government to be 'seen' to be negotiating with them. As it was Major had to stand up in Parliment and say he received a message from the IRA which said the 'war was over'. Does anyone acutally believe that out of the blue the republicans surrendered? No. It was sold to us on that basis to make it more palatable.

Fact is Thatcher was right with her approach and paved the way for Major to up the stakes. Being seen to be tough on terrorism whilst descreet negotiations behind the scenes.

Livingstone isnt fit to lick the rim of thatcher.

somerset said:
Sadly I find myself agreeing with you,........ shock, horror.

Now that he has thrown off the shackles of the 'loony left' political bias of the early 80's, and has become a leader of the common man for the benefit of the common man, rather than for the benefit of the party, he has a much wider appeal.

His fight for the Olympics though( however well fought), does fly in the face of the anti-competition stance taken by all the labour councils and education authorities in and around London during the 80's, but hey...... roll on 2012, and roll on Ken's tenure.

What so anti-competitive about having the Olympics in London?

LC

WATFORD O said:
Kens a !!!!. Winning the Olympics had f*** all to do with him. Without Coe we would not have got it.

Of course not.

Coe's the figurehead. All of the 2012 Team, the LDA and all the Consultants employed including me are all paid for by monies ultimately managed by our Ken.

LC

... and does anyone think London would have won the Olympics without the city having a mayor (or any form of city-wide government)?

Whatever non-Londoners think of Ken, he's the ONLY politician who has ever succeeded in being elected to the position of London Mayor by Londoners.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Dick Knights Mum said:
Dick Whittington ?

He was a Pinko-Commie-terrorist-loving-antichrist too though. In fact, Dick Whittington invented political correctness and positive discrimination in a cynical attempt to justify his gin-sodden lust for West Indian slavegirl whores by getting them promoted to society masseuse's(?) and jumping the teachest in an alley poor quality housing que ahead of good old wooden-toothed English scrubbers. Yep, Livingstone and Whittington, two !!!!! in a pod.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've always quite liked Ken, even when he was being lampooned as Satan by virtually every single paper bar the Guardian in the early 80s. I even bought his book, the beautifully cynically titled 'If voting changed anything, they'd abolish it'.

But he was and remains a bit suspect under pressure. I thought he'd got away with it this time with a very composed speech about the first bombings from Singapore. But give him another 24 hours, and that's more than enough rope with which to hang himself with ill-advised invitations and suspect statements.

Ken is a slightly luckier version of Clare Short in that he's lasted a bit longer despite being a bit of a liability. I clear him of some of the 'IRA sympathiser' stuff on the basis that everything he was suggesting in the 1980s about dialogue, the government eventually did in the 1990s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here