Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ken bates reponds to chelsea

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Looking forward to him programme notes tomorrow. Baby Girl's first Leeds game aged 13 days!

It seems Chelsea are on the back foot now, playing the race card and bleating like baby's because we won't accept their £200k per player offer to shut up and be quiet.

The Times is going to have a few good stories about Chelsea and all this over the next week or so.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
:lolol:

That's brilliant, considering its the official website
:clap:

:p To Chelsea, luv Kenny :clap2:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
That's very funny.

I'm not sure why Abramovich has taken such offence? Is being called a "shyster from Siberia" racist/anti-semitic/both? Is Abramovich Jewish anyway?

The Collins dictionary definition is:

shyster noun
(Informal), chiefly US a person, esp a lawyer or politician, who uses discreditable or unethical methods
History: C19: probably based on Scheuster, name of a disreputable 19th-century New York lawyer

1066gull

Chelsea are really getting on my tits at the moment.

Having said that, I do like their Home kit, Ballack, Drogba and Robben...

Dandyman

In London village.
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
That's very funny.

I'm not sure why Abramovich has taken such offence? Is being called a "shyster from Siberia" racist/anti-semitic/both? Is Abramovich Jewish anyway?

The Collins dictionary definition is:

shyster noun
(Informal), chiefly US a person, esp a lawyer or politician, who uses discreditable or unethical methods
History: C19: probably based on Scheuster, name of a disreputable 19th-century New York lawyer

Abramovich ("son of Abraham") is both Siberian and a spiv, so the comment seems accurate more than anything else and no, IMO, it is not anti-semitic.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I always think of electric fences at football grounds when Ken Bates comes to mind.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I guess it depends whether you think the term is used specifically for Jewish people, and in my experience it's not. It's no more racist than calling him a schmuck (though equally archaic)

Dandyman

In London village.
Stinky Kat said:
I always think of electric fences at football grounds when Ken Bates comes to mind.

He's a total git but the comment is still making me smirk.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's like being at school and watching two people you hate batter the crap out of each other in the playground.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think Abramovich is remotely upset by these comments. But the Chelsea PR machine is going to use it for all its worth to muddy the waters a bit for what promises to be a rough ride over the alleged tapping-up of these three kids.

Bates is incredible though. No wonder he got on well with Dennis Wise. Both of them could have upset Mother Theresa.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't forget Uncle Ken and his involvement with the original Wembley stadium project, which had to be scrapped as it was so overbudget.

Chelsea were bust when he left, due to Kens superb financial management

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tooting Gull said:
I don't think Abramovich is remotely upset by these comments. But the Chelsea PR machine is going to use it for all its worth to muddy the waters a bit for what promises to be a rough ride over the alleged tapping-up of these three kids.

Bates is incredible though. No wonder he got on well with Dennis Wise. Both of them could have upset Mother Theresa.

It's four kids from Leeds.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pavilionaire said:
It's like being at school and watching two people you hate batter the crap out of each other in the playground.
Agreed. Hilarious comment by Bates, but he's still a total wanker. Not unlike the sly Siberian infact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here