Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kelvin Mckenzie

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
KM chose to write a headline that has rightly become infamous of his own volition. It was a cruel (in the light of 96 deaths) and accusatory act of the strongest kind. A banner headline in the countries most read paper. No editor should ever have done that without thorough investigation and indisputable evidence. His bed: he needs to lie in it.

There was a massive backlash against the Sun at the time. One of the guys I go to games with (Sussex born and bred) still wont read the Sun.

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I admit I had a bit of soft spot for Kelvin

Oh dear, you may be realising it now, but he's always been a vicious little scumbag. Even the most ignorant, head in the sand, establishment wanker knew that the Sun's Hillsborough story was a bunch of unforgivable lies from the off, let alone 20 years later when Kelvin was STILL refusing to apologise. He's only apologised now that he realises that there's really no way he can continue to refuse and his 'out' is to say he was only believing the police. Yeah, right.

I also particularly loved his recent Leveson performance where he tried to discredit Ann Diamond for complaining about the Sun sending journalists and photographer's to her baby's funeral. She invited them says Kelvin. Even IF that were the case (and I doubt it is!), exploiting a grieving mother and a dead baby to sell papers is just FINE is it Kelvin?

He's been a stain on British public life for a long, long time. Spreading hatred, invading privacy and exploiting people's pain and misery

Seriously, I'm normally a fairly mild mannered person, but I wouldn't cross the road with a fire extinguisher if he caught fire. SCUM.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Hahaha. Here's some gems from his Wikipedia page.

On the subject of the sensationalist and sometimes inaccurate reporting which appeared in The Sun during his time as editor, MacKenzie has said:
When I published those stories, they were not lies. They were great stories that later turned out to be untrue — and that is different. What am I supposed to feel ashamed about?

"I think The Sun should have its million quid back (paid as damages to Elton John for suggesting he was sleeping with rent boys). It hasn't damaged him at all, has it? Libel can only have a value if there has been some kind of damage, right? Where is the damage? Where? There's nothing wrong with him. So no, I don't feel bad about him, not at all."

On 11 January 2007 MacKenzie appeared on BBC TV's Question Time programme, held in Kent. Towards the end of the program, MacKenzie was asked by presenter David Dimbleby about The Sun's claims about the Hillsborough disaster. MacKenzie stated that he stands by his allegation that ticketless fans were the cause of the disaster but that he does not know whether the other allegations about theft from the dead and fans urinating over victims and policemen were true.

Look, I am not here to be helpful. I am here to help myself, right, so I have no regrets to how I treated some people.

And finally, you'll love this:

MacKenzie was a supporter of Charlton Athletic F.C. for 12 years but switched allegiance to Queens Park Rangers after Charlton's relegation from The Championship in 2009.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It's easy to slag the guy off because his behaviour as an editor was appalling, falling well short of the standard expected.

There is no bandwagon, nor is it 'in vogue' to call him a scumbag and a wanker. You might want to show yourself up as an apologist for someone so odious who openly deals in lies, but no other paper did what he did at the time.
Late on this one, but this - and it may be considered 'in vogue' to have a go at Mackenzie by some if all he was responsible for was his papers coverage of Hillsborough but he has lots more form than that.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
MODS WHAT ARE YOU DOING???

Please move this thread to the OTHER STUFF.

It's highly offensive the amount of times people have said KELVIN MCKENZIE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here