Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Keir Starmer

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Pleased that Labour have got rid of Corbyn, shame Starmer has chosen to go on the attack on day one though, not the classiest thing to do in the current circumstances imo

On the attack? He seems overwhelmingly supportive, conciliatory and constructive in interviews I have read and heard.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry, I bow to your superior knowledge of the scientific and medical world; however, I am not convinced that there aren't an awful lot of very good medics and scientists who are 'on the case', despite your fears of politicisation.

ALL of the good scientists will be on the case. They will solve it, too, just like they did with AIDS (first total cures announced not that long ago). And much more quickly than many think.

However, this will be no thanks whatsoever to the talking heads.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If nothing else at least at this specific moment in time we have an opposition leader who is clearly listening to all the experts rather than someone who believes in homeopathy.

I assume you are referring to Prince Bigears, and not our dear PM. Surely . . . . Boris hasn't sanctioned homeopathy, has he?

All I can find online is this, which is bad enough

https://www.facebook.com/CCRHAYUSH/...pproach-to-complementary-and/375693319811564/

This, if true, is on a par with the fictitious 'Churchill calls for an open minded approach to the possible virtue of surrendering to Hitler'.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
ALL of the good scientists will be on the case. They will solve it, too, just like they did with AIDS (first total cures announced not that long ago). And much more quickly than many think.

However, this will be no thanks whatsoever to the talking heads.

I hope so Harry.
Talking heads there will always be, I suppose, whoever happens to be in power.
On a slightly different topic, I reckon KS, who has accepted the PM's invitation to join talks on the crisis, should pipe down with his criticisms at this time and would be better served by showing a united front. He can express his thoughts and groundbreaking nuggets of wisdom in discussions behind closed doors.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I assume you are referring to Prince Bigears, and not our dear PM. Surely . . . . Boris hasn't sanctioned homeopathy, has he?

All I can find online is this, which is bad enough

https://www.facebook.com/CCRHAYUSH/...pproach-to-complementary-and/375693319811564/

This, if true, is on a par with the fictitious 'Churchill calls for an open minded approach to the possible virtue of surrendering to Hitler'.

Or perhaps Jeremy Hunt who wanted the NHS to reconsider prescribing homeopathy before, guess what, making millions out of homeopathy,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...thy-courses-promoted-on-the-nhs-a7529671.html

And he's regarded as the competent one..... :facepalm:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I reckon KS, who has accepted the PM's invitation to join talks on the crisis, should pipe down with his criticisms at this time and would be better served by showing a united front.

Perhaps it’s you who should be ‘piping down’.

The idea of not holding the government to account at this time is truly shocking.

Despite the rhetoric of the government, we are not at war, no need for this ‘support the government - no questions asked BS’. That is exactly how nationalist governments form and thrive, you get to a position we see in China & Russia now & then eventually someone like Hitler takes control. Orwell brilliantly outlined the ‘we’re at war - everyone support the government’ in 1984 where the totalitarian dictatorship ensured a perpetual war against either of the two other superstates, this was designed for people like yourself to squeal about unconditional support for the government drunk on emotion, fear and nationalism. Trump & Johnson are reeling out the war rhetoric but have you stopped to explore what other countries are using this sort of language?

We need an effective opposition more than ever. There is nothing unreasonable about the following:

From the BBC:

Writing in the paper, Sir Keir said: "The Labour Party I lead will do our bit to offer solutions.
"But we will also speak for those who have been ignored; and where we see mistakes we are under a duty to expose them to ensure that they are rectified as soon as possible."

Now the focus must be on making sure the promise of 100,000 tests is delivered and that these tests reach those who need them most, including our frontline NHS staff," he added.

It is the opposition’s duty to hold the government to account. Are you seriously advocating they stand down from this? Do you not think that lives can be saved if the government’s mistakes are pointed out so that they can be rectified.

This is a popularist government who will follow headlines so after the media outrage about the lack of testing, the government changed it’s target to 100,000 tests per day (which was the right thing to do all along) but they need to be led to these decisions because, as we have seen, they are reactive, not proactive. They need to be held to account now to make sure they meet the new testing target, that is where an effective opposition and media come in.

Your confusion is with your blind support for the government, your message should be getting behind the government advice, NHS, key workers and all the other brilliant people who are stepping up against this awful virus, not a struggling cabinet who are totally out of their depth.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Neither, but yon Corbyn is a big fan of homeopathy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neither, but yon Corbyn is a big fan of homeopathy.

I had to look that up.

OK, he has come out with the moronic trope that because some people claim they benefit from it, it must work, and should therefore be allowed.

The same could be said about facism and racism - they worked brilliantly for David Duke and Mussolini and, indeed, the 1930s owners of our dear Daily Mail. Logically, therefore, Corbyn should be in favour.

The man really is a self-deluded chump.

It's time labour got shot of him.

Oh.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good news. He will never challenge Boris. I thought Corbyn was one of the most miserable politicians

He will run rings round Boris. He has built a reputation of getting things sorted out and having an eye for detail - everything that Boris isn't. He was a highly successful human rights barrister, and is a QC, which you don't get awarded for being a fool. He was a highly regarded Director of Public Prosecutions. He will at the very least provide the opposition that has been sadly lacking in recent months and years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Keir Starmer brings an impeccable heavyweight track record of being on the side of Doing The Right Thing to the table. Best chance Labour have of installing a decent, honest and truthful government in this country in a generation IMHO

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am happy with that, he has no chance.

He is so unlikable, dull and boring.

He also backed staying in the EU with gusto, when the majority of his voters wanted to leave.

Should have been Nandy, she would have been the nearest Labour candidate to get my vote in the past 38 years.

From reading this and other quotes from you on here, I think you are seriously deluded and in for a few big shocks.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Wow that is a leap of laughable proportions

I have no problem with questioning by the opposition but until I hear that he has a revolutionary solution to this crisis that no other politician has found, I’ll look down on a man who comes into power and offers no support just criticism from day one. Times have changed.

If I’m the first person to have made comparisons with this global crisis and the Second World War, then laugh away.

You have no problem with questioning by the opposition - Starmer has questioned the processes by which PPE has been delivered to frontline workers and the speed at which the government has acted to increase testing.

He’s also made constructive suggestions regarding vaccination centres and towards an effective lockdown exit strategy.

You’re correct. Times have changed. The stakes are high and we need those making decisions to have fewer lapses in judgement than they’ve had thus far.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I hope so Harry.
Talking heads there will always be, I suppose, whoever happens to be in power.
On a slightly different topic, I reckon KS, who has accepted the PM's invitation to join talks on the crisis, should pipe down with his criticisms at this time and would be better served by showing a united front. He can express his thoughts and groundbreaking nuggets of wisdom in discussions behind closed doors.
Damn right. He should applaud the bumbling mess that this government has been responsible for and help wash the blood off their hands whilst he's at it.

That's just what is needed. A free pass for the incompetent and uncaring.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He will run rings round Boris. He has built a reputation of getting things sorted out and having an eye for detail - everything that Boris isn't. He was a highly successful human rights barrister, and is a QC, which you don't get awarded for being a fool. He was a highly regarded Director of Public Prosecutions. He will at the very least provide the opposition that has been sadly lacking in recent months and years.

Prime Ministers Questions is going to be interesting. Boris, who can’t string a coherent argument together if his Latin depended on it, versus someone who has risen to the very top doing exactly that. I’m starting to feel sorry for Boris.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here