Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep the Faith

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If ever an expression has been appropriate for the first half of a season this is it. We started on a roll and expectations were unrealistically high after the first six games. Then came Leeds and we entered a period of increasingly extreme self doubt: have we been found out? why haven't we got a plan B?are we good enough? how many players are Championship players? is Gus flattering to deceive? are we strong, quick, tall enough? how come we've started to struggle when Southampton have kept their foot on the pedal? why are we getting so many injuries? do we need a 6'6'' centre forward? why is our disciplinary record so bad? have we got a strong enough squad? etc etc.

And yet .... here we are just over half way through the season and despite all the above we have 38 points, are 12th in the table, four points away from the play-offs and 14 points off the drop zone and ......

We have most of our players either back or coming back from injury, I think we now know that our best team is a match for anyone in this division, we will field our best 11 more consistently throughout the second half of the season, I think the first half of the season has been a major learning curve for us all but I think the lessons have been and continue to be learnt (particularly regarding pace and discipline, 12 more points in the remaining 20 games should see us safe at the end of the season, and how incredible it would be if we got three of those on Tuesday 31st January 2011.

So, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season because even if its the same roller coaster ride as the first half has been I reckon we'll still end up with 70 + points and that'll do for me!! Anything above that and who knows .....

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
If ever an expression has been appropriate for the first half of a season this is it. We started on a roll and expectations were unrealistically high after the first six games. Then came Leeds and we entered a period of increasingly extreme self doubt: have we been found out? why haven't we got a plan B?are we good enough? how many players are Championship players? is Gus flattering to deceive? are we strong, quick, tall enough? how come we've started to struggle when Southampton have kept their foot on the pedal? why are we getting so many injuries? do we need a 6'6'' centre forward? why is our disciplinary record so bad? have we got a strong enough squad? etc etc.

And yet .... here we are just over half way through the season and despite all the above we have 38 points, are 12th in the table, four points away from the play-offs and 14 points off the drop zone and ......

We have most of our players either back or coming back from injury, I think we now know that our best team is a match for anyone in this division, we will field our best 11 more consistently throughout the second half of the season, I think the first half of the season has been a major learning curve for us all but I think the lessons have been and continue to be learnt (particularly regarding pace and discipline, 12 more points in the remaining 20 games should see us safe at the end of the season, and how incredible it would be if we got three of those on Tuesday 31st January 2011.

So, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season because even if its the same roller coaster ride as the first half has been I reckon we'll still end up with 70 + points and that'll do for me!! Anything above that and who knows .....
nice post - faith being kept over here, don't worry :rock::albion2:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It would be nice if this thread attracted plenty of supportive posts. Surprising it's taken a while for the first two to arrive.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Personally, I want us to get to 50 points, the mythical safety spot, as soon as possible. Then we build on that.

It's our first season up here, we've all been adjusting to the level we're now at, and there's no disgrace at all in finishing mid table. I'll be more than happy with that as long as it gives us a solid platform to build on for the future. Anyone complaining about life at the Albion currently is deluded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here