Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep Bennet at right back until Calde's back

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I think it is going to be El Abd at RB although he struggles against pacy wingers which is why he excels at centre back. Not sure if we have anyone in development squad. And what about Gary Hart, he could do a job there.

I would rather see Bennett in a more attacking role where we need his pace and creativity in the final 3rd.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I think it is going to be El Abd at RB although he struggles against pacy wingers which is why he excels at centre back. Not sure if we have anyone in development squad. And what about Gary Hart, he could do a job there.

I would rather see Bennett in a more attacking role where we need his pace and creativity in the final 3rd.

I think Matutu in the development squad is an attacking right back & those in the know on here seem to think he's a bit of alright. As good a time as any to blood him on saturday against one of the least difficult opponents we'll have this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would play Bridcutt at right back as he has played there before for Chelsea nd Yeovil and then bring Kish back into midfield and have Smith and Elphick on the bench in case it doesnt work. I wouldnt even consider Barnes or Holroyd out wide if we have to play Bennett as a right wing back the only option right midfield is Smith.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think Matutu in the development squad is an attacking right back & those in the know on here seem to think he's a bit of alright. As good a time as any to blood him on saturday against one of the least difficult opponents we'll have this season.
I thought Matutu was a leftback though I'm not 100%.

I have a question about the transfer window, I assume it opens on the 1st, so if we sign Noone straight away will it be possible for him to play against Orient? If it is, then keeping Bennett at rightback wouldn't be too much of a problem. If not, then we'd only have Smith really to bring into the midfield, Smith's ok but that's a big ask.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tricky. Not for the first time, he did very well at right-back last night, but he is much more potent as a forward player. HOWEVER, so is Calderon (who has more goals this season than Bennett), so Bennett playing a Calderon-esque role (raiding down the wing, while keeping Dean Cox quiet) isn't necessarily a bad move.

As for sticking El-Abd at right back... :facepalm: Is Micky Adams back or something?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
While I don't think moving El-Abd and possibly disrupting the defence is a great idea it's hardly Adams level craziness is it?
The current manager Gus Poyet played Adam El-Abd at leftback for a long while (and he played well there).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought Matutu was a leftback though I'm not 100%.

I have a question about the transfer window, I assume it opens on the 1st, so if we sign Noone straight away will it be possible for him to play against Orient? .

No because we cannot sign him until 1st Jan and the FL office is closed for the bank holiday 1, 2,3 Jan until 4th Jan. so cannot register him as our player. It is possible that the office will open on Mon as the 3rd is only a holiday because the 1st is a Saturday and if that is the case we could possibly fax his registration through Mon morning so he could play against Exeter. But no chance for Orient I wouldnt think but I could be wrong, hopefully.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That's annoying if correct, it's meant to be the January transfer window not the halfway through January when we can be arsed to turn up window. :angry:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
With the current system we play (midfield diamond) there is no way El-Abd can play right back as he doesn't have the quality or legs on him to get down the wing, provide width and get good balls into the box.

Kishishev, at a push, perhaps. Tarrico and Matutu doubt it. It's got to be Bennett or a new loan signing (maybe get Hoyte back). Someone else can slot into the advanced point of the diamond, possibly Jamie Smith if we cant sign someone like Noone in time to play.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While I don't think moving El-Abd and possibly disrupting the defence is a great idea it's hardly Adams level craziness is it?
The current manager Gus Poyet played Adam El-Abd at leftback for a long while (and he played well there).

Actually, I believe it would be Adams-level craziness to move the player who has been rock solid with excellent display after excellent display this past calendar year in the centre of defence. Moving him to accommodate a lesser player (not intended as an out-and-out criticism of Tommy Elphick) is, for me, absolutely potty, especially when there are better or more imaginative options available at right-back.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
El-Abd MUST stay at center back. He's our best player at the minute so lets not mess that up by playing him out of position and lose his confidence. Bennet at right back works and he still gets forward.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Actually, I believe it would be Adams-level craziness to move the player who has been rock solid with excellent display after excellent display this past calendar year in the centre of defence. Moving him to accommodate a lesser player (not intended as an out-and-out criticism of Tommy Elphick) is, for me, absolutely potty, especially when there are better or more imaginative options available at right-back.
You're not moving him to accomodate Elphick, quite the opposite. You'd be moving him because you think he'd be the best option at rightback with Claderon out.
For me the lack of pace for Kishishev and Tarrico would be a bit of a worry, El-Abd certainly isn't less mobile than those two.

If we get Noone in for the games coming up then it's not a problem anyway, keep Elliot 'Cafu' Bennett there until Calderon is back.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You're not moving him to accomodate Elphick, quite the opposite. You'd be moving him because you think he'd be the best option at rightback with Claderon out.
For me the lack of pace for Kishishev and Tarrico would be a bit of a worry, El-Abd certainly isn't less mobile than those two.

If we get Noone in for the games coming up then it's not a problem anyway, keep Elliot 'Cafu' Bennett there until Calderon is back.

Tarrico and Kishichev have got the quality to play at Full-back as they have shown over the years, and neither of them had bundles of pace throughout their careers

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Whether he is a decent right-back or not is beside the point - that can be debated till we're blue in the face. The central point for me is that he is needed in the middle.

My take is that he hasn't played right-back for a while and could be a bit rusty performing those duties, Gus adores him where he is (professionally of course), and he is an excellent centre-back in his own right. Personally, I'd sacrifice a smidge of quality out wide if it meant keeping the spine of the side intact.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would still go with Bridcutt at Right back who Iam sure could do a very good job and then bring Kish back into midfield, rather than move El Abd. I think that it all hinges on the regulations about signing Noone on loan before buying him. If we can do that he would go left midfield and Bennett would be the best option at right wing back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here